Mt.Buffalo N.P. Rocky Creek/ Eagle Point overnight hike.5,6th Dec. 2021.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field ticked off
another bushwalk that required a fact finding mission. It was in a part of the Mt. Buffalo N.P. that is less visited than more popular areas that are close to car access.
The Rocky Creek track would be OK for XC skiing around Wild Dog Plain but it drops down out of the snow gums and has many rocky sharp turns where it loses elevation and most probably would not have safe/adequate snow depth for safe BC XC skiing.
The return ski would be an uphill slog.
If the snow is good at 1100 M. then it would be amazing at Cresta Valley so why bother?.

I drove up on Sunday 5/12/21 and armed with my camp site permit , I hiked in from the Reservoir. Leaving the guitar in the car made the pack carry weight lighter as did only having 2 days worth of food.
My knees liked that idea.
The camp site at Rocky creek was badly burnt in the 2019-2020 fires. The drop loo looks new and so do some of the signs. The water in the creek was very clear and fresh and only 100 M. from the camp site. I had the camp site all to myself in a peaceful montane forest at 1100 M. ASL.
The new MONT ground sheet/ foot print for my tent works well esp. on hard granite gravel surfaces which could rupture the gossamer thin MONT MOONDANCE tent floor.
I set up camp, fetched water, cooked dinner and curled up with a good book before dusk. The wind picked up through the trees for a while during the night and then abated. I saw some stars without any light pollution and went off to sleep.
The Next day I was up at 0530 and packed and walking at 0700. The weather looked good. The walk on day 2 was the longer part of the loop from Rocky Creek to Mollinson's Galleries, Eagle Point, 5 Acre Plain, Og , Gog and MaGog and back to the car at The Reservoir.
18 kms or so in total.
Parks Vic. have re routed the track from Rocky Creek to Mollinson's Galleries and recut all the tracks out that way. They were also tagged with pink tape. It was a super highway . I didn't see anyone until I reached the new looking ladders at Eagle Point.
The views from up there in the clear sunshine were noteworthy.
I ate lunch on my own scenic Boulder just prior to reaching and ascending the side track up the rocks at Og , Gog and MaGog.
The route then slithered around the back of the Reservoir and popped out on the Mt. McLeod track , just a short way from the Reservoir car park.
Mt. Dunn would have to wait as I was feeling done.
I did go and visit the Horn picnic area in the car. The Bushfire damage up there is dismaying. So much of the park has been turned into charcoal.
I also stopped at the Lake Catani day visitor area and took some more photos and went and had a look at the Chalet and the new look out ramp at the Gorge .It is rather obtrusive. The gardens at the Chalet were very colourful.
I went back to stay at my friend's house in Myrtleford . I was ready for a shower, a meal and an early night.

It was a good hike.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 1.
_SAM0572.JPG
_SAM0577.JPG
_SAM0580.JPG
_SAM0581.JPG
_SAM0585.JPG
_SAM0587.JPG
_SAM0588.JPG
_SAM0589.JPG
_SAM0590.JPG
_SAM0591.JPG
_SAM0592.JPG
_SAM0595.JPG
_SAM0596.JPG
_SAM0597.JPG
_SAM0600.JPG
_SAM0601.JPG
_SAM0603.JPG

Wildflowers were on display at every step. Water was flowing everywhere and the park is regenerating after such a bad bushfire severely damaged it in 2019-2020. Signage has been replaced in most places where it was burned. It was very peaceful camping alone at Rocky Creek.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2.
It was a nice clear cool morning .I had never walked this terrain/ route before. It was very pleasant. The creek crossing was a bit muddy but not too bad. The climb up from the creek was about 250 M . vertical to reach Mollinson's plain. The sign said the old track to Mollison's Galleries had become impassable due to bushfires and the new route had been freshly rerouted , cut and tagged.
They knew I was coming !.
The views of Lake Buffalo from Mollinson's galleries were rather grand.
_SAM0606.JPG
_SAM0608.JPG
_SAM0609.JPG
_SAM0610.JPG
_SAM0611.JPG
_SAM0613.JPG
_SAM0615.JPG
_SAM0616.JPG
_SAM0617.JPG
_SAM0618.JPG

The big rock looked like the head of former Vic. Premier Jeff Kennett.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2.
Heading for Eagle Point.
The track clearing was a job @Ubiquitous Steve
would have
been proud of. So much whipper snipping and chain sawing. The walk had much variety of scenery and plant communities.
I had a snack and checked where I was using the GPS near Clapp Look out.
Going up and down the stairs at Eagle point was something where one slip could be nasty.
I saw an eagle in flight at the top so the name was quite apposite.
_SAM0620.JPG
_SAM0621.JPG
_SAM0622.JPG
_SAM0623.JPG
_SAM0625.JPG
_SAM0626.JPG
_SAM0627.JPG
_SAM0628.JPG
_SAM0636.JPG
_SAM0629.JPG
_SAM0634.JPG
_SAM0614.JPG

The big rock above was from Mollison's Galleries but there are countless big rocks at Mt. Buffalo. It is the Wilson's Prom. of the Vic. high Country.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2.
The last leg via 5 Acre plain and Og , Gog and Magog:I believe these were three giants or barbarians from Old testament mythology. I met two walkers at Eagle point and some more near Og , Gog and Magog: All day walkers. It is interesting how snow gums grow from between the boulders.
_SAM0633.JPG
_SAM0637.JPG
_SAM0638.JPG
_SAM0639.JPG
_SAM0640.JPG
_SAM0642.JPG
_SAM0643.JPG
_SAM0644.JPG
_SAM0647.JPG
_SAM0651.JPG
_SAM0654.JPG
_SAM0650.JPG
_SAM0690.JPG
_SAM0692.JPG
_SAM0695.JPG
_SAM0698.JPG
_SAM0699.JPG

Last edited:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
I like the pictures!Good to see that Parks Staff have been active with the chainsaws and brush cutters!

Bears have set them the Gold Standard in the Keppels Hut Walking Track project .

Hopefully Parks can draw on volunteer labour to get on top of clearing and maintenance works .We don’t want grandiose Iconic Walking Tracks (especially F to Hotham )robbing us of man hours or monies that could be better utilized.

Bears have not given up on the idea of better creek crossings on our walking track behind Keppels......

Bears will have to read up on Bridge construction !Perhaps some hardwood planks from the tip bolted together to keep the evil little walking boots out of the soft creek edges.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass