Trip Report Mt.Buffalo. Spring XC skiing and rock hopping.10.9.18

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi.
I went up for one last 2018 white season ski at Mt. Buffalo. The Beginners' 1 km loop had continuous cover on very soft granulated spring snow but the Bogong 4 km loop ran out of snow quite early. The Horn road had large patches of gravel once I got about a third of the way up the hill as it ascends in a corkscrew kind of fashion.
It was very warm , spring shirt sleeves weather.
Sadly "The Buff " was rock hopper city and there was grass skiing aplenty in many places. I do suspect some of the more remote snow meadows and plains in the back country of Mt. Buffalo may still be possibly skiable for another week or so but for easy access on set routes Mt. Buffalo has run its course for the 2018 white season.
It was still a lovely day out but XC skiing is all over red rover for 2018 at "The Buff". My friend ( Ms. C. a snow shoer/ bushwalker , whose sprained ankle was very sore) and I went to enjoy the views at the Gorge/Chalet area and visit Eurobin Falls in the late afternoon light.
I will be sure to ski at Mt. Buffalo next year with a view to skiing out past the Reservoir towards Wild Dog Plain.
I am soon to be posting some photos.

Reactions: Tanuki

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Photo by Ms. C.: Mr.Tee sans goretex jacket and over pants skiing along the last hurrah for 2018, spring skiing at the Beginners' loop. Cresta valley.

Ms.C. had never seen me on skis before. She was expecting an Olympic XC skate ski gold medalist but she got Mr. Plodder on pattern base skis instead. This time last year I could not ski to save my life. I can now ski the Heathy Spur loop near Falls Ck. in good time without snow ploughing all the time, without crashing at all , step turning and skiing with parallel skis with plenty of energy ,efficiency and confidence.
10.9.18. Mr. Tee at  Mt. Buffalo .jpg

Reactions: neilmny

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Nice pics....Mr T has advanced on the madshuss sticks!
I think we can look forward to more adventures as he penetrates further afield in 2019.:emoji_atom:
Good work!:thumbs:
I am a better skier on my Fischer skinny skis. In the end you can ski on any planks or you can't. I have evolved to be able to ski OK on both BC XC skis and Classic skinny skis.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass