1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Mt.Buffalo XC ski trip.9.9.19

Discussion in 'National Parks' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

A full trip report of my XC ski day at Mt.Buffalo with photos is as follows below.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Had to drive to Albury and back today (fishing tackle trade show). Buffalo had shitloads of snow from what I could see from the freeway.

Kletterer likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

There was just enough fresh dry snow to ski on up and down The Horn but the whole area above 1100 m. Was looking great.It must have been snowing horizontally with powder snow on Sunday night.I will post some photos soon.

#3 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Your Correspondent in the field got up early on Monday September 9th 2019 and drove to Mt. Buffalo . The scene looked good near the Milawa exit for the Snow road with plenty of snow visible on Mt. Buffalo.
    As I approached Myrtleford the clear weather allowed me views of Mt. Buffalo that reinforced this impression.
    I dropped some gear off at my friend's house in Myrtleford , ate some lunch and was at Cresta by 1230 pm.
    Prior to reaching Eurobin Creek Picnic ground a deer jumped out onto the road and was side swiped by a motorcyclist approaching in the on coming lane. These bleeding deer are everywhere. They are a pest and we must get rid of them altogether. Forget Bambi, we need to exterminate them. They are a feral introduced species that have no natural predator.
    On the drive up there, there was fresh snow everywhere above McKinnon's corner at approximately 1100 M..
    It had evidently snowed the night before. PV had ploughed the Black top access road and had groomed the Horn road ski trail on the weekend but additional snow had fallen and obscured the skidoo grooming.
    The sign said "2wd fit chains here" at the Cathedral saddle.
    I was going to put the rock hoppers on but the cover seemed deep , fresh, dry and continuous so I put my fast Fischer Nordic Cruiser XC PB skis and went up the corkscrew like track to The Horn Picnic area. I bumped into another Pattern base XC skier who was descending as well as catching sight of a confident skate skier who was also descending back to Cresta.
    There were deep patches of fresh snow and very thin and / or bare patches but no need to take the skis off on the way down.
    Once at the Horn picnic ground I took my skis off and trudged up to the true summit lookout in ski boots. I forgot to bring my micro spikes so I had to be careful where the route became icy.
    The scene was an extraordinary one with horizontally blown ice coating the trees, rocks and handrails etc.
    In fact much of the upper mountain had this appearance.
    The views from the top were superb. The day was quite clear but a few flakes of snow were also falling here and there. Mt.Cobbler , Mt.Bogong and Mt. Feathertop cloaked in white were all visible.
    One problem I had on the way down on skis back to Cresta was that one ski would hit a deep pocket of powder and catch and the other ski was on thin cover. It caused me to crash a couple of times. I was fortunate to crash into the deep stashes of heavily wind blown snow and not sustain any injury or loss other than some loss of confidence. I don't usually crash on that route. The mixed cover meant I could not ski freely and confidently . Maybe the Rock Hoppers were the better initial choice of skis. That way breaking through in places would not have been an issue.
    The snow cover seemed to be only 15cms on most ski routes , some places were thinner and some spots were windblown so that they were quite deep. Anyway I had a fabulous Spring visit to Mt. Buffalo.The sun and the r**n will soon erase this snow cover and so I say Khudaa Haafiz and Al vidaa to skiing at The Buff for 2019.
    :)
    I will go back in late October/ November for an overnight bushwalk out to Rocky Creek and back .
    I will post some photos of my trip very soon.

#4 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

9th September 2019.
    Spring snow at Mt. Buffalo.
    Pictures from the drive up to Cresta valley. The trees and rocks were coated in snow and ice.
    It was very windy, the wind was icy cold and a few flakes of snow were still falling in small showers of light snow alternating with clear skies.
    It was possibly the most photogenic of my three different XC ski based visits to Mt. Buffalo during the 2019 Ski season.

neilmny likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Cresta Valley and the Horn road ski trail. September 9th 2019.

neilmny likes this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The ascent up the winding Horn Road.
    I seemed to be concentrating more on the photography than the Nordic skiing but with scenery like that who could resist becoming snap happy? As I remarked to another lone skier on that route that day "There is something extraordinary about Mt. Buffalo".

neilmny likes this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Horn Picnic area and the summit lookout.(1725 M.)

neilmny, prcoy and Sean Sunley like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Didn't Randy Newman sing "It's lonely at the top"?.
    Well not at the top of The Horn. It was and is magnificent!
    That was another great day at The Buff :) .

neilmny and Sean Sunley like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Heading back down to my car …..

neilmny and Sean Sunley like this.