Snow Report Mt Buller 2014 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

karabil

Hard Yards
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks to Ski Patrol for humorous rescue yesterday, whole left leg now 50% oversize. Scans tomorrow. Laughing at self but pissed that my season is probably over.

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Great weekend once again. Still plenty of soft snow just the way I like it.

Just heard a helicopter landing and taking off. It's almost dark so must have been important. Fingers crossed they're OK.

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
Another superb day....love it when the weatherman is wrong :)\

Was a bit windy, especially around the summit. Spent a lot of time around Wombats as a result, though did a few laps of the mountain too - Shakey Knees->Grimus->Summit->Howqua->Wombat->Federation->Express

Some pics from today, mostly from my Instagram

10615473_10152595739910867_8653472578962913487_n.jpg

yeah yeah...horizon not straight :eek:

10357438_10152595858830867_5085385447624270578_n.jpg

10446667_10152596164665867_6575506825008396701_n.jpg

clouds starting to roll in
10410338_10152596166265867_5980148781123100772_n.jpg

10590565_10152596167385867_6757486321272046117_n.jpg

10572095_10152596170000867_5912933884967886101_o.jpg

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
hard to take a bad shot I gotta say - beautiful part of the country! Feel just a tad envious of all who get to do weekend trips whenever they like.

Reactions: Sadie

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
Let alone sneaky midweek trips!!

shaddup! LOL

Wasnt that busy today, for a weekend. Bourke St was still madness, at one point I literally had nowhere to go, managed to find a gap just big enough for a smelly Adelaide snowboarder......

Anyhoo - in Melbourne until Thursday, so if anyone is keen for a drink, a few of us are catching up on Wednesday, 6PM @ the Taphouse, all welcome: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/k-os-in-melbourne-dinner-drinks-20-08-taphouse-st-kilda.67223/

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Was a great 3 days up on the hill, the weather held out right to the end with only a couple of very light sprinkles a bit after 4pm when we were finishing up. Were staying down in Sawmill Settlement, went through the gate on Saturday and Sunday at about 7:50am, paid $20 cash and only a 2-3 minute wait each time, seemed to be flowing well. Got on/off the hill through Northside Express both days with no issues. The weekend was much less busy than I thought it would be, it was easy to scope out where the lines would be with the only wait down at the bottom of Howqua really. With whiskey creek trail open round to federation we never waited around there and only rode wombat chair a couple of times.

Best runs yesterday were far skiers right off summit, men's downhill, women's downhill, down through sun valley wasn't too bad either. Did a few fast ones down summit slide in the morning and SCV Hut but the North Side is really starting to look a little sad with the warm temps.

Great 3 days all up and was pleasantly surprised with how easily everything seemed to run with the crowds, there seems to be a lot of winging on this site about it sometimes, saying that I can see how beginners/people without knowledge of the mountain could very easily get stuck in the queues.

Reactions: Claude Cat

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Also think the forecast might have kept a lot of people away yesterday, but really it was another clearish day with high light cloud, just a stronger wind but if you picked your spots you could stay out of it for a lot of the time. Was getting a bit chillier in the late afternoon shade with the wind starting to rip through.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Concur with the observations above.
Hardly any queues on lifts at all. Perhaps Howqua on occasion due to the numbers skiing the Summit.
The 7yo boy had a great time both in ski school (they do a terrific job) and showing me "around" yesterday afternoon. I was very proud to see him ski down LBS and Wombat for the first time yesterday.

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
Can't seem to find the Stirling reports thread, figure i will port report here, as it's all pretty much the same resort.

First time up @ Stirling on Sat, lovely day, beautiful views across to Buller, could see all the way up to Buffalo, out to Bogong and feathertop, i *think* i could even see Baw Baw to the south.

Was about 1km to ski-able/skin-able snow, after muddy walk, i skinned up on my splitboard and was at Bluff Spur Hut, after about 2 hours i was at bluff spur hut, a quick break and then i was off to the summit.
One run in Stanleys bowl, another in dugout bowl, and a lovely long run down the trail home was all the riding i did.
Snow was slushy corn for the most part, a wikkid hoar frost on the south facing slopes ( which ive never really seen before )

The highlights were definitely the views, and the lovely people i met up there!
definitely feel more prepared to get up there again perhaps in better conditions and get some good snow

- James

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
One thing observed Sunday afternoon when skiing with the lad on Shaky Knees - an untethered snowboard racing down a large length of Tirol before disappearing in the trees. Lucky that Tirol was pretty ordinary and there wasn't too many actually using it (although just the run before there was a beginner skier sliding out on their bum because it was too steep for them to ski - that would have made a nasty mess if the board had hit them on the back of the head).

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
One thing observed Sunday afternoon when skiing with the lad on Shaky Knees - an untethered snowboard racing down a large length of Tirol before disappearing in the trees. Lucky that Tirol was pretty ordinary and there wasn't too many actually using it (although just the run before there was a beginner skier sliding out on their bum because it was too steep for them to ski - that would have made a nasty mess if the board had hit them on the back of the head).

Need to get @glisse on the case - he is the snowboard hunter!

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne

Saw one on Saturday when going up Howqua chair that had done a runaway just below koflers with some bloke chasing after it, was lucky it didn't hit anyone waiting down at the summit chair as it flew through there at some pace and off the lip in to the trees.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Can't seem to find the Stirling reports thread, figure i will port report here, as it's all pretty much the same resort.

You can cross-post in the Backcountry forum, they have a subsection for Trip Reports.

dkasper

Addicted
Jul 13, 2007
Here are a couple of pics of Buller from last Friday and Saturday. Great couple of days, sunny, hard+slushy and only lines I found was around Howqua. Stayed down in Merrijig, painlessly through the gate 7:45am both days. Similar sentiment to those reports above.

hhnV4edl.jpg

Looking towards the lift lines at Howqua

1r9kdFfl.jpg

The sun behind summit from Koflers has to be one of my favourite afternoon views

POj5voLl.jpg

i5Geh2Xl.jpg

There is still snow on the northside, but disappearing quickly with the warm weather.

AcSW0tMl.jpg

Scary views like this you wonder why you are are skiing/boarding dodging in Australia - BUT - thankfully 99% of these people go to wombat chair ;)

KeSyv6gl.jpg

But then you realise it is more than worth it. :)

gFHYk7Ol.png

Nice lazy 10k vert mostly on the groomers.

adama777

Hard Yards
Jun 3, 2010
With the warmer weather & rain on the way, are you guys "calling it" as far as not getting anymore snow this year?

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
With the warmer weather & rain on the way, are you guys "calling it" as far as not getting anymore snow this year?
We typically get snow events until late October and sometimes one or 2 between then and Christmas.
Can't see anything in the next 10 days though.

adama777

Hard Yards
Jun 3, 2010
Thanks for dismissing my pessimistic instinct. At least there's no rain on the outlook for the next 7 days I guess...

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Thanks to Ski Patrol for humorous rescue yesterday, whole left leg now 50% oversize. Scans tomorrow. Laughing at self but pissed that my season is probably over.

Talk about humorous patrol rescues...On the weekend I saw a skier crash onto the bitumen road right in front the Ski Patrol building just as a ski patroller was pulling up next to it. He was OK but took him a while to untangle himself from the skis and poles.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
I actually think the resort dodged a massive bullet this weekend. That was an epic rain event which could have basically ended the ski season for all intents and purposes. Luckily it ran out of puff by the time it hit the Alps.

Forecasts suggest that it will be good spring skiing for the next week or so.

It will dump at some point in September when most people have put their skis back in the shed and the resorts have sent most of their staff home.

Reactions: Claude Cat

Whiteman

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2003
North Sydney
Talk about humorous patrol rescues...On the weekend I saw a skier crash onto the bitumen road right in front the Ski Patrol building just as a ski patroller was pulling up next to it. He was OK but took him a while to untangle himself from the skis and poles.

Those patrollers can sometimes take a while to untangle their skis and poles. Hope he was OK.

cerberus

One of Us
May 5, 2004
melbourne
Was up at Buller yesterday (21/08) and had some great skiing! Run conditions as follows:

Started with a cut down to Grimus up to the summit. Summit Slide looked pretty good and was soft underfoot, but there was almost no snow next to the Boggy Creek t-bar. Not 100% sure why it was even loading... Summit slide did have decent cover all the way to the base of Grimus chair though.

Had some great fast turns on summit until the cloud came through and we went lower down the mountain to maintain good visibility. Summit and Howqua both had good cover, only becoming average/fair once you got right out toward Fanny's.

Wombat and LBS had good cover, but were already softening by 9:30am. The cut through from Wombat to the chair had pretty poor cover and plenty of large moguls, with no real lines through them - I don't think this will be open for long without more snow.

We left there once the the crowds arrived and headed over to Men's Downhill. There was a race course set up on skiers right, leaving only a 3-4m wide path down skiers left. Cover was average and snow was also softening quickly, so we moved round to Sun Valley.

Sun Valley was very firm still and full of good sized bumps as usual. Cover is average and you need to change lines regularly to avoid rocks and grassy patches.

Took a run down Standard, which was the worst decision of the day. They seem to have mixed 50/50 snow and rocks up on the road, then spread it out all over the portion of the run near the road... absolutely feral. It was like skiing on rocks, not on snow! What were they thinking???

Over to the north side, Shakey Knees had good cover, but were certainly being propped up by snow-making. The runs had good cover, but everything around them was 50/50 grass/snow.

That pretty much concluded our tour of the mountain, so we headed back up to Summit, as this was the pick of the day, and did plenty of fast carving runs down summit - I think I only had to wait in line once and then it was only for a single chair ride.

We mixed in a few LBS/Wombat, Upper Federation and Mens Downhill runs in the late afternoon as well as a run down Outer Edge. Upper Federation was holding up well with average cover. Outer Edge had good cover up the top section, with average/fair cover on the bottom section - you needed to pick your lines pretty well. The lower traverse trail was still covered the whole way round back to Wombat chair.

Finished the day lapping hard & fast carve runs down the summit area until the lifts closed.

Fairly warm day and good visibility for most of it. The mountain looks to be in desperate need of snow in the next week or so, or there will be a lot of runs closing! $80 lift ticket for the day was great value!

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Great skiing this week. The snow has taken a bit of a beating though and is quite soft.

Tuesday was excellent and that night went below zero which saw Wednesday with the best snow quality. That was a bluebird morning and not a breath of wind. It had also allowed for shiploads of man made during the night.

Shakey Knees is in good nick, Tirol is looking a little ordinary.

Summit Slide was best early on although the bottom is getting a little ugly. It's a narrow strip of groomed down the centre with a fair bit of chop on either side. SCV Hut is top half only. I think Boggy Crk T might only be running to haul people uphill as the slope is mainly snowless.

MHwL5hil.jpg

Summit and Howqua were excellent and powdery on Wednesday morning after the cold night, and very good thereafter. Summit black and Slalom Gully softened by lunchtime and skied really well. Nothing refroze after Tuesday night so the following days had good skiing on most south facing areas almost from the start.

erhQConl.jpg

qihw1Oml.jpg

X9ALA8Ql.jpg

X9ALA8Ql.jpg

Federation bowl is only open to halfway unless you want to tiptoe through the crud. Federation and Yuredla were bullet proof on Wednesday morning, but then with milder nights they were skiing better even in the mornings. Fed chair closed Wed arvo but was running again Thursday, although I didn't see anyone actually riding it. Whiskey Crk was about the only access, and that looked closed from Wednesday (or Thursday?) with brown patches visible from Southside chair.
KLRdXRul.jpg

JLZmDPEl.jpg

KtjZDBYl.jpg

My horizon isn't straight either @K@os, needs more pointing camera straightLOL

c9cH3z5l.jpg

Bull Run bowl is getting thin with some hazards, while black/lower end of Chamois has about thrown in the towel.

The one morning I went to LBS & Wombat, Wombat was closed to the public due to races. So LBS was holding up well under a Bourke St style onslaught. Hordes and heavy chop equals Carnage, Carnage Everywhere.

Bottom of Wombat is about done with a 3 metre wide strip of muddy moguls framing muddy grass. One run on LBS was enough, so back to Southside. More fun, less people.

Southside/Mens Downhill is in very good shape and skied well all week, mornings and afternoons.
@CarveMan & @mx_boarder, as you can see on my photo it looks like BSL has taken your Southside complaint seriously because they'd completely eliminated that unacceptably long 20 second wait;)

lNAWx10l.jpg

2aAuJpDl.jpg

There sure is alot of enjoyment to still take from this mountain. Each day I was thinking, it'd sure suck to be in the office.
Hopefully, good times still to come before season's end.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
There was one such escapee at Kofler T-bar a few days ago, straightlining all the way down while passengers did a remarkable job of dodging it all the way. The boarder was eternally grateful that the liftie managed to jump on it as it hurtled down before it would have mowed down those waiting for the ride.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
Very spring-like conditions on the mountain today. A cloudy and partially windy morning gave way to a calm and sunny afternoon. Snow was very soft but great to ski on. Fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow (or big, fat flakes of snow - I'll take either but nothing in between)!

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
I am really hopeful that with a sprinkling of snow and some snow making that it holds out for the interschools next week. Keep us posted!

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Wife had a good day up there yesterday.
North side getting thin in places, but otherwise some very good skiing still to be had.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
Just coming down the hill now. A few drops of rain this morning but otherwise dry. Very thin in areas on the north side but the south side is holding up really well with some nice springy snow.

Reactions: GS

Madski

Hard Yards
Aug 30, 2002
Huge effort by Ski Patrol yesterday to recover two skiers from chute 2. Well done and congrats to the team.

The chute gave way on the skiers and down they went.

Both of them very lucky it could have been a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass