Snow Report Mt Buller 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
last I was told, was because of the change in Government.... that was about a year ago :mad:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
last buller sic (2009?) was very poor cover, and crap visibility. best skiing IMHO was to left of that chair - yuredla I think it was called. nice natural terrain variations and hardly anyone else there

(that was my first time skiing buller in ~20 years. haven't been back since)

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
last buller sic was very poor cover, and crap visibility. best skiing IMHO was to left of that chair - yuredla I think it was called. nice natural terrain variations and hardly anyone else there
You're mistaken. It's terrible there. Really not worth skiing. Little Buller Spur is where it's at.

gettingtooold

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2012
geelong
TBH, I spent a lot of time at Buller a while ago. When it is on, it is incredible. When it is off it is absolutely bloody woeful. I've encountered both, but the thing that put me off is that there is that it seems to me it is one or the other with little middle ground. Please don't get me wrong, I've had some of the best days of my life there, but it can be so varied from day to day more so than other resorts. Having said that, hope to be up there again very soon and sorry if it seems like I'm bagging the place as it's not intended. Just my obs.

Reactions: dr80

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Its a day trip hill if you only want to best days and can go on those days at a moments notice.
You could say the same for any resort of course but Buller is not well protected and suffers the slings of weather you don't get so much downrange at Hotham and Falls.
To that end its not so much good and bad season as how many good day trip opportunities you can get out of a year.

Reactions: MickM

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I dont think anyone, even the biggest Buller diehard, would try to convince you it's the best mountain in the world and the best in AUS, because in a season it's not. But when all lifts are open and there's been 30cents of fresh overnight, there's nowhere else in bounds in the country to be for the next day.

Reactions: FixedGrip and MickM
Like that day in 2014 (?) when the Duck came down from Synee for the weekend, it was snowing at the gate and then he, CM and I got after it the next morning out in the Chutes. All time day.

Unfortunately I had Mogul Comp duties the next day when they skied the north faces as well :mad:

MoonlightRidge.jpg

I think this is the Duck boot packing out from below Fannys

IMG_3632.jpg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Word is they're aiming to use the new machine to get Bourke St open the weekend before QBW - it's first priority is to get Bourke St open wall to wall and then once that has happened, as Bourke St also has a lot of conventional snowmaking, they can make snow to be pushed down Shakey and maybe Standard.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Word is they're aiming to use the new machine to get Bourke St open the weekend before QBW - it's first priority is to get Bourke St open wall to wall and then once that has happened, as Bourke St also has a lot of conventional snowmaking, they can make snow to be pushed down Shakey and maybe Standard.
If this is not "conventional" snowmaking and they can guarantee skiing on Q BW is it pretty much what lake mountain has been making for snow play?

Guaranteeing skiing on QBW sounds like a challenge to the gods to send the sort of rain last seen when noah was rounding up livestock

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
If this is not "conventional" snowmaking and they can guarantee skiing on Q BW is it pretty much what lake mountain has been making for snow play?

Guaranteeing skiing on QBW sounds like a challenge to the gods to send the sort of rain last seen when noah was rounding up livestock
More sophisticated than LM but similar concept - basically a shipping container that pumps out snow up to 15c.

Reactions: MickM and currawong

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I'm just wondering where they will get the water.
In this new urgency of opening before QBW they use up water leaving a shortfall later.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I'm just wondering where they will get the water.
In this new urgency of opening before QBW they use up water leaving a shortfall later.
Guess so. Though maybe this one is more efficient as the water doesn't blow away in the wind???? I do know it uses a lot more power though....

If Buller has Bourke St open, the buses come, if the buses come, Buller makes money, if Buller makes money we get new toys is pretty much how I see it.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Guess so. Though maybe this one is more efficient as the water doesn't blow away in the wind???? I do know it uses a lot more power though....

If Buller has Bourke St open, the buses come, if the buses come, Buller makes money, if Buller makes money we get new toys is pretty much how I see it.
Falls Creek busts a gut to get wombats open. hardly worth bothering to put skis on for IMHO but it makes a huge difference to the mountain

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yes it's a massive difference to downloading.
but customer demand for actual skiing too. It's amazing how many people want to ski it: families, people looking for early season discount skiing. the long easy run is incredibly popular. FKW. I find it boring and dangerous. Lost count of how many times I've been run into down there

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
but customer demand for actual skiing too. It's amazing how many people want to ski it: families, people looking for early season discount skiing. the long easy run is incredibly popular. FKW. I find it boring and dangerous. Lost count of how many times I've been run into down there
I'd rather ski Wombats Ramble than Bourke St!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'd rather ski Wombats Ramble than Bourke St!
I'd rather stay in the lodge if that's all that's on offer.
Bourke St is shorter than wombats which is a big plus
when there is snow it's probably easier to avoid wombats than bourke st (depending on where you need to get to)

I also have a tiny soft spot for bourke st because that's where I first skied. the cover wasn't quite as bad as that ambulance photo, except at the top of baldy where it was just wide enough to snow plow down

Reactions: NewTurns

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
I normally wait until at least Wombat & Summit are open before heading up but with new gear (skis/boots) this year may be tempted to try on Bourke st

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
sleet falling off the roof here currently, no need to wait till QBW :) It's a pity no
matter how much snow you have late September, there is always hardly anyone
around.

was hard to keep the hands warm riding earlier today, but at least it was dry.

Reactions: wolly and MickM

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I normally wait until at least Wombat & Summit are open before heading up but with new gear (skis/boots) this year may be tempted to try on Bourke st
Early season it's fine to ski on new gear - snowmaking on summer groomed smooth grass, can't go wrong.

It's when the blacks just start to open up that you can munch a pair of skis.

Reactions: MickM

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Already advertised on appropriate lifts.

BTW, the stickers are fading a bit.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass