Snow Report Mt Buller 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by D-eye, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Summit was good today, but needs 20cm to cover all the hazards. Howqua Run is still very bushy, though several people skied past the closed signs to go to Koflers T-Bar. The snowguns were operating on Family Run, that would be the next lift(Howqua Chair) to open in my mind. That might open later in the week.

Maybe 10cm and a little bit of snowmaking would open the Spurs Carpets, but no one cares about those. I'd suggest 20cm + some snowmaking would open Burnt Hut (like Carveman said).

Chamois to Midload will take 30cm. Southside(MD and Yurredla) and Bull Run (Standard Only) maybe 30 or 40cm. Canyon Tows, Grimus, Anything in the Bull Run Bowl, Upper Federation, Wombat Bowl will take 50 or 60cm.

Tirol bottom load and Northside will probably need 70 or 80cm of base to be skiing Cow Camp and Dam Run (rarely you get to ski these, as it melts fairly quickly) Boggy Creek and Federation will be the last ones to open (some years they don't open at all).

#551 Jellybeans1000, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    rime noreason and Adelaidometer like this.
  2. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Buller obviously still needs a guerrilla summer grooming campaign.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

It's actually been a lot better the last 2 years, one of the patrollers did a big vegetation audit over summer a couple of years ago so it's clear what can and can't be summer groomed. Before that it was a blanket no.

Hully and mx_boarder like this.
  4. Kenziepettit

Kenziepettit Active Member
    30 Day Pass

Seems as though howqua may open today

Jellybeans1000 and Adelaidometer like this.
  5. Adelaidometer

Adelaidometer Active Member

Thanks Caveman and Jellybeans for your thorough responses to my question. And we'll predicted on the next chair being Howqua!

Just another question.

What is the precipitation mm to snow cm ratio for the Buller weather station gauge and at what temperature does mm = cm at Buller?

20mm at an average of -1 equalling only 4cm on this morning's report doesn't seem quite right.

I came across this specific conversation in the past (Buller precipitation readings below zero not converting mm to a whole cm), but I only vaguely remember something about the precipitation starting as warm (r..n) above and it having to fall through the -1 air below(presumably where the weather station is) to freeze. But that -1 layer of air isn't thick enough to freeze all of the warm moisture?

6. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Good to hear.

7. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

It was blowing from the west last night, it's a pretty well documented phenomenon that because of Buller's prominence and not being part of a mountain range that it doesn't benefit from orographic lift when the weather is coming from the west and it can be a wet freezing mist.

Adelaidometer and Jellybeans1000 like this.
  8. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

And the Spurs Carpets, which will divert some first timer traffic.

Kenziepettit likes this.
  9. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

CM is right about the weather from the west. With the blocking highs we seem to get so much these days, it's rare to see the southerly blasts that Victoria used to get. These days most of our snow weather comes in from the west and south west, having to cross the entire western half of the state before it reaches the mountains. It picks up the ground heat as it crosses land, resulting in the peculiar modern Buller phenomenon of it being -2, -3 on the hill and ra**ing, as the below zero temperature isn't enough to offset the heat that the cloud mass has picked up. Welcome to the future.

Adelaidometer likes this.
  10. Adelaidometer

I'll wait til the wind changes before I even start thinking about doing my (1mm = 1cm at 0c) sums:nerd:

I did a Google Search 'Buller orographic' and managed to find the 2009 thread on this forum started by Carveman headed:

'Why are westerlies so bad for Buller'.

Fantastic read! It makes a lot of sense and covers many possible contributing factors to this phenomenon:thumbs:

#560 Adelaidometer, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Jellybeans1000 and CarveMan like this.
  11. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

12. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

13. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Got that email this morning and not happy Jan. I've got tenants in all the way through to late August and I'd be very disappointed if their holidays were adversely affected by this action.

There's no mention I can easily find in mainstream press about this. Chairlifts will still turn, people will still fork over money, big businesses will fire up their generators and, since Ausnet has a monopoly of providing the service work, the resorts can't take their business anywhere else so really have very little power to pressure Ausnet.

The only people who will be hurt by this, in the event of an outage, will be tourists in smaller apartment buildings and lodges that don't have generators and similarly, small business operators that don't have gennys. Once again the person at the bottom of the chain gets kicked in the guts. I won't be under any obligation to refund money as it's beyond my control. I think it's a dog act. Not everyone up in the ski fields is a millionaire - plenty of people who have saved hard to have these holidays. The beef of the workers is with Ausnet presumably (not the ski resorts) but once again they've just looked for the best bargaining chip.

It's like baggage handlers going on strike at Christmas. I understand why that's a well considered decision because of the power it brings, but see if you can find one person stranded at the airport who has sympathy for them.

Dos likes this.
  14. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Sorry but this is very wrong. Firstly, true southerly airflows tend to be very dry (and cold) and are not really known for heavy precipitation. The blocking highs are not something that's new, they've been happening for a long time. It's just that they're happening right now and it's clouding your judgement. Westerly flow has nothing to do with the 'airmass' having to cross the state and warming up, resulting in rain for Buller. If that was the case then you would have rain at all the resorts, not just Buller. It's well documented that with a Westerly airflow there isnt enough mountain range over a long enough distance for the airmass to cool sufficiently fast enough to result in snow, hence the freezing rain. Sandy has put up charts and pictures that show why this occurs in the weather forum. Also point to note that Stirling gets less freezing rain from a westerly than Buller, crosscut saw too, and Falls/Hotham quite enjoy a westerly that's cold enough for snow. You also contradict yourself when you say westerly flows pick up warm 'land heat' (whatever that is) and that's why it rains instead of snow, even at -2/-3. At that temperature it's snow every day of the week, anywhere in the world. The last part makes absolutely no sense. Maybe look at how adiabatic lapse rates work over distance.

As an aside, Buller, LM and BB would benefit the best from a SW flow. This is because of a few factors:
    - SW flow generally is cold enough for snow down to the lower elevations of these resorts
    - SW flows generally have moisture available to them. Not always heaps but better than a straight S blast
    - SW flows for this region of Victoria are benefited in terms of moisture (IE snowfall) because of 2 disturbances. 1 being King Island in Bass Strait, and the other being the Otways. These 2 features disturb the airflow as it makes its way to Victoria, resulting in some instability that generates showers. Next time there's a good SW flow have a look at where the line of showers are coming from, a lot of the time it's from these 2 features, or is heaviest coming off these 2 features. That's why the East of Melbourne and Gippsland gets a lot more rainfall out of SW flows than west of Melbourne.

Normally i'd let whingy posts slide, but this needed clarification.

cookieman, dibl0c, Max29057 and 2 others like this.
  15. StackMyster

StackMyster Active Member

It would be interesting to know what it is that they are arguing for in their EBA that is bringing this particular industrial action. If part of their requests are to do with benefits and remuneration or OH&S requests whilst working in Alpine/Snowy areas I can understand the decision to target resort areas. However if not, its a little disappointing to see them target those areas specifically.

16. Kenziepettit

30 Day Pass

Day 4 of the season
    Very nice and sunny. Little wind, fairly fresh.
    Runs were great in the morning, very chopped up and icy by the arvo. Roughly 10 minute wait for most lifts.
    Summit is absolute moguls
    Lbs and wombat are nice
    Shakey is nice
    Crowds were horrid (worst I've personally experienced) But still fun

17. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Meanwhile next week is the quietest of the season, and the snow could be pretty good too.

I'm coming up on Sat night for a few days.

18. Max29057

Max29057 Active Member

A few photos from yesterday

19. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Was up that particular week last year. Similar snow conditions to now, very quiet. I will be up tomorrow arvo until Sunday. Hopefully the rain scares off the crowds!

10 minutes for a horrid wait??? I have seen much worst queues than that. On Monday, there was a ridiculous queue on Koflers (a situation made much better with the addition of Howqua now). It was a 20 minute line up, then the T-Bar stopped working, because it didn't retract properly and hit the safety rope. So another 5 minutes and it started, then it stopped again and restarted, and then it stopped again and restarted the final time. It probably took over half an hour to get out of that Koflers T-Bar queue, and to the left, no queues whatsoever on Summit :headbang:. And of course most weekends are much worst than mid week School Holidays. Of course there are easy ways to get around queues at Buller, you just got to avoid bottlenecks, mornings and the major blue runs.

20. Adelaidometer

I'll be there Wed to sat. Not expecting too much. Looking forward to exploring a new resort:D

Jellybeans1000 likes this.
  21. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday will be awesome. ATM it looks like fresh snowfall on all days, very cold, maybe windy on Thursday. New terrain will probably open, if Southside opens, that is fantastic advanced skiing. Saturday will probably be busy, just like any other weekend after a fresh snowfall.

Adelaidometer and Vermillion like this.
  22. derwent

derwent Well-Known Member

Nice shots of the long awaited 2017 base ;)
    :thumbs:

Max29057 and Adelaidometer like this.
  23. Kenziepettit

30 Day Pass

I avoided t bars as much as possible today, unfortunately too many singles with little encouragement to pair up.

CarveMan likes this.
  24. Adelaidometer

Thanks a lot for the commentator's curse:eek:
    If they get half what they are forecasting, I will be stoked! Especially if Southside is opened. Those highs do look like they are weakening. Maybe this will be my time... Just being somewhere new will fascinate me enough:cool:

25. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

What type of boarder are you? That would probably make it easier to recommend lifts and terrain.

I'd suggest Buller won't get massive totals, thanks to its topography and aspect. It's very normal to see Falls and Hotham get more snow than Buller. But the season is getting there.

Edit: Just realised you boarded.

#575 Jellybeans1000, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  26. Adelaidometer

I just carve(or try to). Finally after many years have broken out of intermediate into more black runs.

Haven't got into park much yet, but keen to give it more of a go bit by bit.

#576 Adelaidometer, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  27. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Sure, okay Southside will be perfect for you, Grimus is great too if it is open. Bull Run Bowl is good if you are okay with the bumps.

28. Powjunkie

Powjunkie Active Member

Trying to decide if it's worth going up for my first weekend of the season. Leaving late Friday night coming back Sunday afternoon. I'm worried given weather/crowds/open terrain it's not going to be worth the drive. What are conditions like there at the moment? Will the forecast snowfall (if there is any!) make a huge difference to open terrain?

29. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds on the Sunday - families who have been up for the holidays tend to bail out to give the kids a day off before school.

Jellybeans1000 likes this.
  30. skimax

skimax Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yes relatively quiet

31. Snow Dog

Snow Dog Active Member

So windy on the Nth side today. Skis wouldn't lie flat next to the summit hut to let me click in - ummm I should be outa here before I fly off.
    Wombat and Summit skiing beautifully today and not too much re crowds - so great day.
    BOM forecast +3C and we get to -1.0C (excellent anomoly, rarely seen)! Let's hope their +3C forecast for Monday is also totally out.
    Everyone a bit more chipper with the incoming.
    Ohhhh south side and maybe the Bull Run Bowl even.....

Froff Life, MickM, Max29057 and 2 others like this.
  32. Snow Dog

Snow Dog Active Member

Now snowing.....

Max29057 and Tanuki like this.
  33. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Figured it would be, as it was raining down at Mirimbah a little. You just up for the school holidays?

34. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Power is out in the apartment. Bloody strike action.

35. Powjunkie

Powjunkie Active Member

Supposed to be coming up tonight thinking if conditions and crowds are rubbish I'll stay in the apartment and watch TV. Might have to reconsider...

36. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Conditions are horrid today, but will probably be bearable on the weekend. Crowds will come, but it's easy to avoid them if you know what you are doing. My main focus is the power outage, just waiting it out. According to the Electricity supplier, they should fix at about 5pm.

37. Powjunkie

Powjunkie Active Member

I'm hoping the snow level drops before the moisture disappears - classic Buller problem. Do you think the base will suffer too much from today's conditions?

38. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

39. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

It will be fine. Thursday next week, we will be laughing.

40. Powjunkie

Powjunkie Active Member

Untill the flakes are on the ground...

41. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

For Falls the email we got had this quote
    To me that suggests that accommodation places may not be too badly hit (if power is needed for heating or personal safety/health) but restaurants, ski hires etc could suffer. Lifts without backup would be stuffed but I think an earlier post said that buller had backup for all lifts. I don't think Falls is in that position. Power supply to the resort as a whole would have to be fixed.

#591 currawong, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  42. Blue Bullet2

Blue Bullet2 Just Registered

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info everyone - will get some photos up.

I am taking Day trip to Buller Sunday leaving Box Hill North 5:30 AM

Throw in $20 for petrol / entry etc. Will head up most sundays.

If anyone is interested bullercarpool@gmail.com

Thanks, Mike

43. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

I'm kind of appreciating the thought that perhaps conditions are less than ideal: family commitments mean I've had to abandon the idea of spending six days away from home over the next weeks so no drive to Buller Sunday next week, the idea of less than ideal conditions making it less of a disappointment.

44. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pretty nice yesterday.

45. Adelaidometer

So that Burnt Hut Web Cam image is looking alright.
    Saw them pumping the machines on it last night. Are they saving it for a r...y day, or is there no access to it?

46. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Pretty nice today, thought it was going to cloud over ahead of the storm but broke clear again. Found some nice snow on Fast One, another 20cm will get things really happening.

MickM likes this.
  47. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Base building and covering all hazards probably.

48. almontyrat

almontyrat Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Bonza Chair (burnt hut) due to open this morning according to the report.

49. Blue Bullet2

Blue Bullet2 Just Registered

From Sunday - Family Run / Howqua / Shakey Knees

50. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Active Member

Wrong way buddy

[​IMG]

sbt99, Slalom and Froff Life like this.