Snow Report Mt Buller 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Generally just lurk here, but this is annoying.
Was planning on a late season midweek day trip with my kids to Buller, who are green/easy blue.
They normally ski at another mountain that has much better kids facilities & we were done for the season..
The bonza lift would have been perfect for them..

I understand about not running the lift if there is no snow.. but not running because you don't have the numbers is a poor excuse. Even yesterday's video snow report was "can't be bothered.. too much work.. digging stuff out.. "

MIGHT see what the weekend might bring.. but doubt it..
Can I be bothered?
Probably my 3X day pass will go into next years "fund..",

Yak.
I feel the same way. Was planning a day trip next week to buller but chances are I'll keep going up to hotham. I could deal with no koflers (annoyingly) but I'm not going to deal with Bourke street without northside and the risk of not being able to get from carpark to bottom tirol.

Yakster

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
I feel the same way. Was planning a day trip next week to buller but chances are I'll keep going up to hotham. I could deal with no koflers (annoyingly) but I'm not going to deal with Bourke street without northside and the risk of not being able to get from carpark to bottom tirol.

Wish I could do the same..
I've taken my girls down slalom gully a few times.
They can handle the snow, but not the traffic..
I trust their skills more than some other going through that area.

However I would NOT want to subject them to Bourke St on a wet weekend.
They will turn the lifts for a strip of ice, (read snow guarantee) but not the snow?

Yak.

Reactions: xuěboarder

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Was planning on a late season midweek day trip with my kids to Buller, who are green/easy blue.
They normally ski at another mountain that has much better kids facilities & we were done for the season..

I understand about not running the lift if there is no snow.. but not running because you don't have the numbers is a poor excuse. Even yesterday's video snow report was "can't be bothered.. too much work.. digging stuff out.. "

Can I be bothered?

Yak.

Closing down lifts mid week in a one in 17 year season to save wages for about 6 people.
Every other year some runs are usually not open so its not as if they have to keep all lifts open later in the season every year.

All it does is convince more people to go to other resorts resulting in more loss of mid week visitors making the situation even worse, that also impacts on other traders who all take a loss some days already and that will just increase it.

This is exactly why I've been skiing Hotham and Falls for the last few years mid week at the expense of Buller days, who I might add don't shut lifts if there is skiable snow.
Hotham closes the Orchard when its done for and no sooner.
2015 I was at Falls the last day of the season in Sept and all lifts were running, next day it all melted with wet hot weather.
Buller was long dead by then.

Today Hotham, all lifts except Drift Tbar, 3 on wind hold which isn't closed.

Falls. all main lifts open except carpets.

Mt Buller 5 main lifts closed in runs with ski able snow incl Nth Side main access lift, Bonza, Cham and rope tow, and Koff Tbar
7 lifts on stand by, likely wind hold but not closed.

If Hotham and Falls can keep their lifts open then Buller can too so long as there is snow on those runs.

They need to run lifts every day they have snow not any day according to the accounting ledger for the simple reason that snow melts, the runs are not a fixed asset they are seasonal perishable and need to be available up to the day they cant be sold.
Which might might be tomorrow or weeks away.

Falls and Hotham marketing should use it to flog Buller as lift closing penny pinchers and convince people to go to Falls or Hotham mid week if they want to ski a resort with all skiable lifts open or stay for longer then a weekend.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb

They could run Nth Side for 2 hrs morning and evening.
This penny pinching mid week lift closing has gotten worse over the last 7 years but this eclipses past years in mid week lift closures in light of the fact there is so much snow and their well promoted extended closing date is 3 weeks off.
Why stay open longer when main lifts are closed 5 days out of 7, why stay open at all, why not just take the profit they have so far and shut the lifts now.

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
They could run Nth Side for 2 hrs morning and evening.
This penny pinching mid week lift closing has gotten worse over the last 7 years but this eclipses past years in mid week lift closures in light of the fact there is so much snow and their well promoted extended closing date is 3 weeks off.
Why stay open longer when main lifts are closed 5 days out of 7, why stay open at all, why not just take the profit they have so far and shut the lifts now.
My thoughts exactly, I understand that the lifts may be quiet during the day but there are still people paying for the use of these lifts. And to close northside, this is bullers biggest draw card for all day trippers i know
Great way to turn people away

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
And here is the stinger of these lifts closed

4 chair lifts open and 2 tbars right now.
Winds have closed many which happens however the lifts they have closed due to penny pinching provide skiing out of the wind lower down and not subject to wind hold.

Howqua is now on stand by, Kofflers is closed due to penny pinching so thats it for all the runs in the tree cover on summit side.
No way in and out of Kofflers Cafe

Cham closed so cant get cover down there.
Wombat standby.
Tirol Tbar and Bull run is it, Fed on stand by.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Look at it.
No Koffler Tbar
Welcome to Mt Shut

buller4.jpg

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
It was rather disappointing to hear the ski patrol guy say the lifts were closing just as I was having lunch at koflers. Had to walk out. Oh well - good exercise I guess.
Buller sure has changed since I was last here - no more Bourke St. Pomas and no more having to choose between Orange and Blue lifts (I was an orangy - they had the better runs IMHO). :nerd:
What really sucks is that the shuttle only runs till 6pm. Thats one reason I prefer Hotham. As well as the other reasons DbSki outlined. Hope to see a little snow tomorrow.

Reactions: DbSki

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
It was rather disappointing to hear the ski patrol guy say the lifts were closing just as I was having lunch at koflers. Had to walk out. .

Ill bet Bob was pleased to hear that his customers would have to walk out and no more coming due to Tbar shut.
FFFFFFFWWARKKK

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Wiesel worded advertising from Blampied

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/resort-info/latest-news/details/22-lifts-to-operate-this-weekend

"22 LIFTS TO OPERATE THIS WEEKEND
Mt Buller has been blanketed in 23cms of fresh snow since Monday and will run all 22 lifts on the mountain for skiers and boarders this weekend.

The resort will add both Federation chairlift and Boggy Creek T-bar to the mix on Saturday, opening every lift on the mountain for business. Mt Buller operates the largest lifting network in Victoria giving skiers access to 300 hectares of snowy terrain with a ‘Very Good’ resort rating.

July and August have delivered heavy snow falls with 88cm of cover now sitting in snow making areas. Current conditions are consistent with some of the resort’s best seasons on record for this time of year.

General Manager of Buller Ski Lifts, Laurie Blampied has welcomed the recent snowfall and is pleased to see Victoria’s largest lifting system fully operational."

Leaving out the words
"But only on weekends for 2 days out of 7"

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Wiesel worded advertising from Blampied

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/resort-info/latest-news/details/22-lifts-to-operate-this-weekend

"22 LIFTS TO OPERATE THIS WEEKEND
Mt Buller has been blanketed in 23cms of fresh snow since Monday and will run all 22 lifts on the mountain for skiers and boarders this weekend.

The resort will add both Federation chairlift and Boggy Creek T-bar to the mix on Saturday, opening every lift on the mountain for business. Mt Buller operates the largest lifting network in Victoria giving skiers access to 300 hectares of snowy terrain with a ‘Very Good’ resort rating.

July and August have delivered heavy snow falls with 88cm of cover now sitting in snow making areas. Current conditions are consistent with some of the resort’s best seasons on record for this time of year.

General Manager of Buller Ski Lifts, Laurie Blampied has welcomed the recent snowfall and is pleased to see Victoria’s largest lifting system fully operational."

Leaving out the words
"But only on weekends for 2 days out of 7"
You do realise we have 175cm in snowmaking areas, not 88cm.
I am pretty sure that release is from 2015.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Closing down lifts mid week in a one in 17 year season to save wages for about 6 people.
Every other year some runs are usually not open so its not as if they have to keep all lifts open later in the season every year.

All it does is convince more people to go to other resorts resulting in more loss of mid week visitors making the situation even worse, that also impacts on other traders who all take a loss some days already and that will just increase it.

This is exactly why I've been skiing Hotham and Falls for the last few years mid week at the expense of Buller days, who I might add don't shut lifts if there is skiable snow.
Hotham closes the Orchard when its done for and no sooner.
2015 I was at Falls the last day of the season in Sept and all lifts were running, next day it all melted with wet hot weather.
Buller was long dead by then.

Today Hotham, all lifts except Drift Tbar, 3 on wind hold which isn't closed.

Falls. all main lifts open except carpets.

Mt Buller 5 main lifts closed in runs with ski able snow incl Nth Side main access lift, Bonza, Cham and rope tow, and Koff Tbar
7 lifts on stand by, likely wind hold but not closed.

If Hotham and Falls can keep their lifts open then Buller can too so long as there is snow on those runs.

They need to run lifts every day they have snow not any day according to the accounting ledger for the simple reason that snow melts, the runs are not a fixed asset they are seasonal perishable and need to be available up to the day they cant be sold.
Which might might be tomorrow or weeks away.

Falls and Hotham marketing should use it to flog Buller as lift closing penny pinchers and convince people to go to Falls or Hotham mid week if they want to ski a resort with all skiable lifts open or stay for longer then a weekend.
Based on a sign that was at the bottom of Summit Chair at Falls yesterday they are closing Summit Chair at 12 midday from today (Monday).

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
I'm glad you found somewhere, @TOFF. If you need somewhere next time, you have the details now anyway. I'm staying here at the moment and when asked, they said they'd be more than happy to take a 1-night Saturday booking, particularly if a friend of mine.

No wait at the lifts today, straight on everywhere, which made a nice change from yesterday.Off piste skiing wasn't on anyone's to-do list until after lunch today though because the snow was bullet proof.
Very little was groomed, disappointing many on the mountain. not even Summit Slide or Tirol. That left very few options, so lappedWombat, Summit and Men's Downhill for most of the morning.

It was only when things started to soften that a few hardy souls ventured onto the frozen chop of everywhere else. By mid afternoon, Bull Run bowl was my pick if you could withstand the chair ride while Hurricane Irma's little sister tried to blow you all the way to Tassie, when you reached the halfway mark. Down the bottom it was so war, a breeze would have been welcome!
The snow had softened, the bumps had grown, and Ski Patrol did an excellent job transporting some poor injured guy on Wood Run this afternoon.

@Jellybeans1000, I'd probably survive Fanny's Finish, but not even being able to see over the edge and skiing without a partner, I thought I'd best take @SkiMun 's advice since no would be around to notify my next of kin. Best saved for when I'm with someone who knows the terrain that I can follow rather than end up like that bloke on Wood Run today.

You can tell it's spring, there was a butterfly working around the biggest moguls nearing the bottom.

In a stroke of luck, the skies stayed blue all day, and even now there is only high, light loud. Hopefully the storms that I've been told are barelling down on Melbourne will only arrive here late when it's colder.

@MickM, I don't think there is much to worry about. Here are some photos of Yurredla. I'm not sure exactly how high the sign is, but I know it's well over my head in summer. Any potholes opening arounf rocks or tees under Wombat chair indicate the snow is at least knee deep.

IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3810.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3835.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Can I be bothered?

Yak.
I'm planning on bringing the kids up next week.Warm up laps of Burnt Hut Spur would have been fantastic. I suppose that Bourke St mid-week could be Ok..is it? Or is it still chock full of walkers?

BTW when did Hangmans get published on the lift map?

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
I'm planning on bringing the kids up next week.Warm up laps of Burnt Hut Spur would have been fantastic. I suppose that Bourke St mid-week could be Ok..is it? Or is it still chock full of walkers?

BTW when did Hangmans get published on the lift map?
That's crap Bonza lift closed.
Perfect sunny kids run

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
What a lovely sight of fresh snow this morning. Should be an awesome days skiing - hopefully that pesky wind has died down.

Reactions: dibl0c

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
What a lovely sight of fresh snow this morning. Should be an awesome days skiing - hopefully that pesky wind has died down.

Pea soup fog, fresh cover top to bottom and lifts shut like a phucker.
They must be in some hard financial trouble to have to close this many lifts mid week with once in 17 year cover when other resorts don't need to.

Reactions: kimberlee81

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Pea soup fog, fresh cover top to bottom and lifts shut like a ****er.
They must be in some hard financial trouble to have to close this many lifts mid week with once in 17 year cover when other resorts don't need to.
I reckon it's more to do with finding staff. Lots of contracts ended. I know patrol is spread pretty thin right now too.

Reactions: MickM and dibl0c

JimH

Hard Yards
May 28, 2002
Melbourne
Northside described as "It's the best way to get straight into the snow, in just minutes from the carpark" Status - "CLOSED", Maybe that's why people are not going up there ? :mad:

Reactions: DbSki

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
The staffing excuse would cut it any other year but this one.

They are all out to promote extended season due to the bumper year.
So they would had to have arranged staff to stay on longer, enough staff to run to Oct.
And they could not have done that earlier in the season.
And they have enough to run all lifts on weekends too..

Bumper year and 3 weeks of season left and skiing top to bottom and Buller are already on skeleton staff.
How about Falls and Hotham this mid week, and if they don't close up lifts and can find staff why does Buller struggle.

Do they seriously think the snow on Cham will be still there next 2 weekends for the whole lift to open.
Got a feeling the plan is to let it melt so they only have to run mid station on the weekends.

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Got the first shuttle at 8am. Blue Bullet open at 8.15 am. Had the place to myself till they opened shaky. That was fantastic as well. Abom opened late - was second on the chair. Best bit was near the top of Bourke St I noticed some guy on a board trying to go under a 'Slow Zone' sign. What an idiot. Signed wrapped around him and went down face first.Those boarders ! :)
Did Wombat a few times before getting the morning coffee at Koflers. Skiing was really good - had an awesome day despite lack of visibility at times. Looking forward to the sun tomorrow.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Having only Bourke st and shakey knees open until 9.30 or so was frustratingg. Then told Bull Run and Wombat was open so made my way over there. A little more info on the mountain would have been useful.

Once over to wombat, a couple of runs on the fresh on groomed was a really nice warm up before pristine snow through wombat bowl and no one in sight. Thulkes is a very picturesque run! Robin's, Powder Keg etc skiing beautifully too. Was snowing most of the morning.

Sun started poking through at lunchtime so skied Summot areas through the afternoon, but all sides windscoured. Just as I was about to head toFanny's for a sticky beak at the Chutes, clouds socked in again, more snow for a couple of hours. Did Yurredla a couple of times, Men's Downhill was heavy chop. Back to Wombat bowl where the snow wasn't as soft, then the clouds lifted. So over to Summit and Fanny's to finally get that view @CarveMan recommended to me. Thank you! That view is magnificent! Buller X should be excellent. Wish I was still here on Thursday!

IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4178.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG

pmbten

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
I don't understand what all the fuss is about if Northside Express isn't running mid week.
Get the bus up to the village. It will cost you about 10 minutes. You're hardly going to arrive to massive lift lines and delays at Blue Bullet this week.
If you're capable of skiing / riding the runs serviced by Northside Express - Dam Run, Chalet Creek, etc - then you're more than capable of using Tirol T-Bar. You're also more than capable of using the Home Trail to squeeze in that last run of the day back to the car park. Why sit on a chair when you can have some last minute fun to finish the day.
Bourke Street would be empty if you have the kids with you so they would be fine.
I get that it's not ideal but is it worth driving an extra 2 hours to go to Hotham or Falls for a day trip.
BTW - love Hotham but Buller is great at the moment. Get up there if you can. I'm stuck at work and would have loved to have the place to myself today.

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Was Tirol or other lifts open earlier ?
I think the problem is how you find out. When I headed to Shakey, the t-bar was open. Before abom was open I tried Standard and found bull run open. I guess you just have to ask the lifties.

Ultra

One of Us
Jun 2, 2009
NSW
Finally got to uploading some phone pics from my first ever weekend at Buller, i was impressed, snow quality was good, cloud cover was interesting, but the winds picked up on the Tuesday and limited us to Bourke St as ABOM was on wind hold.

on arrival, some exploring of the village. why oh why cant Perisher be like this...
IMG_9151-XL.jpg

IMG_9154-XL.jpg

IMG_9195-XL.jpg

IMG_9285-XL.jpg

IMG_9283-XL.jpg

Loved the Athletes walk.

IMG_9331-XL.jpg

Who said Boarders and Skiers can't get along.. helping a new skier into their bindings

IMG_9263-XL.jpg

IMG_9262-XL.jpg

IMG_9258-XL.jpg

IMG_9252-XL.jpg

IMG_9216-XL.jpg

IMG_9229-XL.jpg

Loved this area.

IMG_9251-XL.jpg

happy wife..

IMG_9224-XL.jpg

overall, loved Buller, not a fan of the overnight parking ripoff.
IMG_9146-XL.jpg

Maybe it was my Perisher Snow riders sticker...

i will be back next year..

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Was Tirol or other lifts open earlier ?
Tirol was open and apparently Skyline. It was the. Conflicting information that was confusing though, some lifties said nothing else was open but then others later said that Bull Run and Southside had also been open from the start. Tracks would indicate that was the case.

@Jellybeans1000 I shouls have clarified that Fanny's was just to see the Chutes. I came down on Fast One.
A few more photos from yesterday

IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4170.JPG
IMG_4162.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4154.JPG
    IMG_4154.JPG
    876.5 KB · Views: 0

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
What a picture perfect day at Buller. Was the first on the shuttle. First down Little Bourke. First down Shakey Knees. First down Wombat. Stayed on wombat till it got slushy which was about 10.30am. Then did Summit for the rest of the day. Best snow of the lot.
Having said that the management should resign. Been there too long. Today reminded me why I hardly ever come to Buller any more. Whats the deal with leaving the Northside closed? And Kofflers T-bar? And the worst was all the lifts running at half speed. With no wind. Wonder what Hotham and Falls were up to today?

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Tirol was open and apparently Skyline. It was the. Conflicting information that was confusing though, some lifties said nothing else was open but then others later said that Bull Run and Southside had also been open from the start. Tracks would indicate that was the case.

Cheers
Was good up there today.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass