Snow Report Mt Buller 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by D-eye, Jan 30, 2017.

1. miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven One of Us

Well, I guess we could make some exceptions to lift renamings, in that case.

Hmm, for starters. . .

Kofler T, Coffee & Beer Bar

A-pricot-is-the-Bomb Express

Snacky Knees

Grimus Yummus Grinus Schnappus

You don't think my lifetime of Apricot Mogul purchases has provided sufficient funds?! :yum: :D

Max29057 likes this.
  2. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

There's this guy...owns a ski shop....criticizes the RMB often....can be cranky....knows the mountain well...

CarveMan likes this.
  3. stridercdh

stridercdh Hard Yards

Any areas still skiable on the mountain? Bourke Street? Was thinking of a quick trip up just for the hell of it.

4. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Addicted

What about the chutes, stuff in that general area?
    Worth a little skin up this weekend?

Is the resort going to mind if i try and skin up to the summit?

5. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

If the road is open you would be able to drive up to the summit carpark. Looks like the northside has melted quick, but the snowmaking areas on the southside look skiable for sure. Burnt Hut also looks skiable, so i'd say with the loading on Fast One you'd be able to ski that for sure. Chutes may have rocked up.

6. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Addicted

Yeah thinking of a quickie one down fast one, then have a look at any potential runs in the chutes...
    even if i have to skin from the top of BB1 it aint far...

7. djam

djam One of Us

The road will be closed between Arlberg and the Summit until it is clear of snow, could be a few weeks.

UPDATE

The road is clear to the summit, they have cleared it.

Many of the hard core locals/regulars skied last weekend, Saturday the better of the two days. Sunday some drizzle in the morning with thick fog at times in the arvo. We skied till last ride, Sun Valley/Standard.

#1707 djam, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Addicted

I've heard plenty of rumours but this one... o_O

Rick Ross Da Boss and CarveMan like this.
  9. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Addicted

Well not the dam anyway.

10. SkiMun

SkiMun Part of the Furniture

Who?

wolly likes this.
  11. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture

Lydia dustbin

wolly likes this.
  12. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

One line left on Fast One, what you'll need to be to get it. 2nd chute about 4 turns long.

13. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream

Might look a little different tomorrow.

derwent and Onlybackscratchers like this.
  14. derwent

derwent One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Probably not worth a day trip ;)

15. emkae

emkae One of Us

16. miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven One of Us

:woohoo::woohoo: Early season starter!

Now please excuse me, I gotta go wax my skis.

:D

wolly likes this.
  17. miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven One of Us

Yah, frustrating as all hell. Along with those who suddenly drop 20km/h for a barely perceptible bend in the road, or for an oncoming car.

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Chaeron, dr80, Jellybeans1000 and 6 others like this.
  18. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture

These signs are a call to action.
    Many people think that once you see sign like that you need to wait till you get to the zone even if there is broken lines you can pass before you get to it. Even if its 3 km away.

neilmny and MickM like this.
  19. jezzak

jezzak Hard Yards

20. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture

Not sure but he sure knows how to center his business name in the cam frame...................[​IMG]

21. Ultra

Ultra One of Us

whats the plan with that lift?

22. wolly

wolly One of Us

my understanding is that the new lift had not been ordered as of the 1st week of october. it was meant to be ordered in august. quite a few weeks of surveying the site is also needed. i am sure you just dont order a chairlift out of the dopplemayr catalogue delivered to your letterbox!

23. wolly

wolly One of Us

i wonder who is paying for the crane to sit there and do nothing???

24. djam

djam One of Us

bike season kicked off this weekend, Mirimbah store have discounted season tickets
    just for this weekend, if you after one, you might buy it over the phone. They are open
    tomorrow to 11 I think, this morning to 12 odd. :emoji_bicyclist: details on their facebook page.

I spent a heap of time clearing the trails, still a lot of work to do there yet, picnic table
    to box had clearly not been cleared at all, it's better now. :emoji_deciduous_tree:

Awesome full moon coming up over the back of Stirling last few nights :emoji_crescent_moon:

Wolly, I thought they left it there for the advertising :rolleyes:

25. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

I’ve been planning a weekend Buller hike for several months. The weekend is fixed due to a conference in Mansfield. I’m very much looking forward to filling my lungs with fresh mountain air, clearing the mind and making the most of the peaceful solitude.

I’ve only just discovered that Targa is being hosted up there this weekend too, but that won’t really impact on those plans for peace and solitude, right? Right???:oops:LOL

26. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty

Not sure of the exact format this year, check the Targa website. Usually Saturday is the Special Stage in Mansfield, and then Sunday the Buller hillclimb. Sunday they usually close the Buller road late morning/lunch time and it doesn't re open again til evening. Pretty cool weekend to be in the village.

rime noreason likes this.
  27. Timmossy

Timmossy Hard Yards

If you're up for a decent climb, try 4 mile spur which leaves around Sheepsyard Flat and pops in at Zwier's Zig Zag. It's pretty full on and in your face! The trail is pretty overgrown at the top. Once you hit Baldy you will have ascended over 1200m not considering the downhill bits.

West Ridge - more scenic yet if you start on the trail head at Dougherty's Road it's a much smaller climb.

rime noreason likes this.
  28. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

Thank you for the information @mx_boarder. It was somewhat amusing, of all the weekends to plan a quiet hike but you were right, it was a fun weekend to be there. I was aware there are bike events now and then but it was only djam's message above about Cup Weekend that prompted me to check. Targa hadn't even been on my radar. Once I knew about it though, I thought I might even see some cool cars and enjoy the Village atmosphere. Road closures were my main concern but checking websites, all okay providing I made Mirimbah before 9.45am Saturday. The road was closed for a few hours then. No drama if I'd been blocked, Plan B being a hike to Paps Lookout.

Saturday was a Mansfield-based exercise as you thought. So with most activity concentrated off mountain, I thought Buller would be reasonably deserted. Spot on.

@Timmossy, 1200 vertical metres? That's not a hike, that's a death wish LOL. The roughly 500 vert metres from Village to Summit, then around Summit & Moonlight Ridge for several hours, then back down again, felt plenty!

A fine spring day at Buller

Driving to the Village around 9am, marquees were set up at Mirimbah and Hellcat Creek (make that Chalet Creek. Auto correct is too funny). We saw a few Targa cars on their way down, plenty more scattered around the village. Although I'm not a car enthusiast, I was impressed. I also saw the humour in my very ordinary small sedan parked between a bunch of very shiny Lotuses and Porches LOL

We climbed to the Summit and had the mountain to ourselves from the moment we touched the dirt road at the Arlberg. The day was gorgeous, sunny and mild with just the lightest breeze. With spectacular views to forever, the Summit seemed an appropriate and peaceful setting to pause at 11 am for Remembrance Day.

Looking northeast, Mt Buffalo was clearly visible. It's the pair of sharp peaks just right of centre on my 4th photo. A close up of Bogong shows what appears to be a trail of snow snaking its way down the southern side.

There were still a few patches of natural snow around the Summit to remind us of the terrific winter past, as well as the two large piles on the terrain park. If only there was enough snow in the Chutes, I would have been all over them, of course ;)

Over our picnic lunch, we watched a pair of huge birds soaring around the ridge, hovering, then plummeting like darts onto prey. I think they could have been Brown Falcons or similar, but whatever species, they were quite enthralling.

Macleay's Swallowtail Butterflies flitted in circled around the fire hut and photobombed my pictures. We took care not to step on the many Ladybugs along the trails. This mountain is so beautiful in any season.

29. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

A taste of Targa

We left the mountain Around 2.30 pm after a sensationally good coffee from the SCV coffee booth, and by that stage I was very much needing a caffeine hit! Driving to Mansfield, black tyre marks on the road down to Mirimbah were all that remained of the morning's events.

Mansfield was pumping, food and drink stalls lined the median strip and kept the masses happy in the warm sunshine. Atfer a browse through the local car club exhibits which were a treat, we were just in time to watch the 6th and final stage of the day, the Mansfield Street Stage, where the cars roared along the local streets. Although I claimed I'm not a car enthusiast, if Targa aligned next year and weather co-operated so well again, I'd be more than happy to repeat

mx_boarder, derwent, djam and 2 others like this.
  30. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty

Great pics and report - glad you had fun!

It was a cracker weekend. We did Mansfield stage on Sat before cruising up Buller for pub dinner with a couple of mates, and an overnight at Arlberg. Must be 15 yrs since I last stayed there.

Sun morning, up early to watch the cars stage up/depart the village for their Jamieson/Eildon stages, cruised up to Summit, then drove to Mansfield for lunch before driving back up. We watched the hill climb from Box Corner which is a sensational viewing/photo point. Dinner and drinks at the pub amid the presentations then cruised home.

Only two major vehicular casualties - on Saturday an M4 speared off the road and came to rest 20m down the steep bank near the Gnome house, and Sunday a Toyota 86 came to grief on the left hander just after Box Corner and smacked a tree hard. Sickening sound!

DbSki likes this.
  31. wolly

wolly One of Us

[QUOTE="mx_boarder, post: 3432004, member: 8993

Only two major vehicular casualties - on Saturday an M4 speared off the road and came to rest 20m down the steep bank near the Gnome house, and Sunday a Toyota 86 came to grief on the left hander just after Box Corner and smacked a tree hard. Sickening sound![/QUOTE]
    Just a usual sunday arvo when there is snow on the road