Snow Report Mt Buller 2018 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LW1

First Runs
Aug 13, 2018
Quote of the day goes to some bloke on the lift “Men’s Downhill was a concrete road with sand sprinkled on top” Saw a few people come unstuck and go flying into the fence above Southside lift today. Most of South side of the mountain was fairly stiff all day and off-piste was hell even in the arvo.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Yeah shot down Mens this arvo after runs on Nth side thinking everywhere is soft Mens should be too.
Skis made much noise, not turning.

Reactions: LW1
When you're so wide wake at 5am, and you know you'll see a few more 5ams before you'll actually experience slumber again - because Prednisolone :emoji_astonished: - what better activity can one do but wake up a couple of friends and get one's a*$e in gear - snow gear, that is - and haul it to the hill. :D

As evidence of early shenans, I present Exhibit A (i):

xO7Rn9v.jpg

Exhibit A (ii):

oyHBnhp.jpg

Exhibit A (iii):

NWdkRgz.jpg

As evidence of breakfast, I present Exhibit B:

C6FKWcF.jpg

Post breakfast shenans displayed by Exhibit C (i):

sitwFM4.jpg

and Exhibit C (ii):

oBUKUGt.jpg

As lunch evidence, I present Exhibit D:

aBFi9FD.jpg

And for my final summation, I present as evidence of afternoon shenans, Exhibit E:

6kEeHkb.jpg

Hell, as it was so much fun, and as sleep will evade me for a few more days yet - because Prednisolone - I think I might as well just turn around now and do it all over again.

:D:skier::emoji_snowflake::emoji_snowman2::woohoo:

Great shot showing just how much ****ing snow there is!

Lucky there'll be another foot or more by Sunday!
A very thorough cover across the Summit and Chutes. I'm not sure I can recall seeing it so consistent.

On that though . . .

Warning for those skiing the chutes. They are very hard. This mountain is quite new to me as my friend and I are from Adelaide. We wanted to try the chutes in the morning but it was so hard to see due to cloud. We had to walk up from the summit chair in pretty much a whiteout to the hut at the summit and then think we found them. Couldn't see a thing and neither of us knew where we were. Started skiing down it and didn't realise that it was so steep! The snow was very icey too. I hit a rock and fell down a long way. My friend fell over on the ice and now has a possible arm fracture and leg injury after hitting a rock while sliding down. He might be out for the rest of the season!

With each progressive sentence, I'm thinking

dee.gif

In those conditions, surely the only reason to ski there is to have your headstone epitaph inscribed with; "Rag-dolled down the Chutes"!

If legit, then wtaf?!

eghas.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
I've been avoiding this site since having a kid......it's just too depressing seeing what I'm missing out on. But this year, after 4 long years, I get a leave pass to head to Buller for a week! Loving the pics, providing plenty of stoke. 2 weeks cant come fast enough!
Some people clearly have no idea about how priorities work!
I waited 4 weeks!!! She’s in the car now for trip #5!!
See, that's how you do it.

Reactions: hongomania

K@os

A Local
Aug 12, 2005
South Australia
Some people clearly have no idea about how priorities work!

See, that's how you do it.
10 hour drive for me, so not quite as accessible as it is for some. He's only 2.5 years old, so I'm in no big rush to get a kid who cant actually enjoy the snow, to the snow!

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
think you can start lessons at 3, so maybe next year!

Gotta work on that payrise…….
I thought a 2 y.o once... Spent half the time building a snowman. Lots of photos by parents, money well spent I guess?

I hope I can resist the temptation to putting mine on skis too early...3 is a minimum I reckon but your mileage may vary.

Reactions: K@os

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
I've just returned home from a day skiing. Skis on snow at 8.20am with a couple of centimetres of icy dust on a hard, icy base. This softened up and became very nice skiing even off piste by around 9.30 on the northern side and there were even a few brief moments of sun. Anything above Tirol and Shakey Knees was fogged in for most of the day but thankfully it stayed dry.

Wombat Bowl, Southside and Bull Run areas after lunch. the sky tried really hard to snow early afternoon but we were just pelted by sago for a half hour. The fog lifted after that though and the afternoon cleared well for some really nice skiing.

Late afternoon it finally snowed for awhile when I returned to Cow Camp, Village Run 1, Tirol and Shakey Knees to end the day. A wombat enjoyed the flurries as much as I did, and there was a 1cm coat on the car around 5pm. Flurries continued for the first kilometre or two down.

Old Man Winter and Mt Buller grooming deserves high praise for this. I had to take the compulsory corduroy shot because it's such a rare sight
IMG_5242.JPG
IMG_5245.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5436a.jpg
IMG_5528a.jpg
IMG_5555a.jpg
IMG_5485a.jpg

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
It would be nice to ski a groomed Cow Camp rather than the icy bumps you usually get there for a change

Reactions: Alfred14

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
It would be nice to ski a groomed Cow Camp rather than the icy bumps you usually get there for a change

It was groomed prior to the falls last Thursday and Tuesday just past it was still in fair condition and looks like they've gone over it again.

Reactions: rime noreason

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I thought a 2 y.o once... Spent half the time building a snowman. Lots of photos by parents, money well spent I guess?

I hope I can resist the temptation to putting mine on skis too early...3 is a minimum I reckon but your mileage may vary.

I'll take my 2 yo son to Baw Baw this year, and maybe even next year, then get him on skis the year after. He wont hate it, but sometimes you gotta drip-feed them to keep them hungry.

Reactions: CarveMan

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Good stuff. I just got up, don't think tomorrow will be much chop, but the weekend......

Nice to see CC looking like that, amazing what they can do with a bit of snow, plus the more they groom it the more even it gets.

"How good's the snow at Buller this year mate?"
"It's groomed CC good"
"Shit, that's good"

di6loc

One of Us
Apr 16, 2018
Consuming a legume nearest you
Wow bro, I did not. Sorry about that.

It's a bugger aint it?

I guess you could always just not take any risks in life, fall into working for the old man's business, move up the road from the parents and plop a kid or two ...

Buller will keep. I enjoy staying in touch via forum members' adventures there. :thumbs:

What another great season. Enjoy!

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Kids are great and all but it would be great if mine were born in I dunno....2006 (which was one of the worst seasons in my memory.... Only got up twice in that year):D

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Got new low light lens, good to go.
Dealer didn't have stock of same color and sent one that was like egg yolk yellow, shop owner rummaged through all his stock and found me one the same green as I had so all is good
That green low light lens was the best fog lens I've had in skiing Buller which I thought was not possible with Buller (tm) wet fog.

DSCN3468.JPG

See the defect

DSCN3470.JPG

DSCN3471.JPG

Max2000

Hard Yards
Feb 15, 2018
Heading to Buller for a day trip on Sunday. Snow fall looks good but with up to 65kmh southwesterly winds, do you guys think there will be any wind hold?? Is southwest winds bad for the lifts?

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
I've ended up with an extra competitors 3 day pass for Interschools week. If anyone knows a competitor who's after a pass PM me and we see if we can work something out.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Heading to Buller for a day trip on Sunday. Snow fall looks good but with up to 65kmh southwesterly winds, do you guys think there will be any wind hold?? Is southwest winds bad for the lifts?
Keen to here an answer on this too as we are contemplating a day trip Sunday but the wind looks strong

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Pretty solid day in the end today at Buller.
Some surface freshies to be found especially on the Southside which made for some really nice turns.
Best areas were in the trees off Wombat, top half of Federation and Southside.
Lower half was crusty moguls, but softened as the day grew and much easier to ski.
Few pics below to indicate the conditions.
AF39618A-7EB2-4050-849A-515245FEF4B5.jpeg
836B123C-599D-47A1-913B-16104625E7FB.jpeg
4A58D602-F686-4B34-859C-C2656CD2CC75.jpeg
D09917B4-5713-4AE4-8987-8404E082E968.jpeg
B3380299-FA51-4CFD-A7C2-BCF17EAEE72D.jpeg
EF426B32-EEB1-49BB-8BCE-9C11474483E7.jpeg

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
I was going to go on Sunday (best snow quality) but pulled the pin.

Winds on Sunday will be getting up there towards 80km/hr which means some of the more exposed lifts are likely to be on wind hold. It's going to be a pretty wild day with fresh being blown to the north facing slopes. I'd say they'll run about 18/22 lifts.

Btw at this point I'm going on Monday. :D

Reactions: jez01

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I was going to go on Sunday (best snow quality) but pulled the pin.

Winds on Sunday will be getting up there towards 80km/hr which means some of the more exposed lifts are likely to be on wind hold. It's going to be a pretty wild day with fresh being blown to the north facing slopes. I'd say they'll run about 18/22 lifts.

Btw at this point I'm going on Monday. :D

Monday is looking good
Wind blown stash should be word of the day if it snows all weekend.

I'm leaning toward Wed myself.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
As a fellow new Dad how do you juggle baby sitting duties when on the mountain?
This is the crux of the issue. Your partner needs to be as keen as you so that you tag team or it won’t work. My wife likes skiing but not enough to want to go out and ski on her own, and she sure as hell didn’t want to sit in a lodge looking after ankle biters while I went out skiing.

Better still, if you have someone willing and able to babysit for a bit, you can both get out for a couple of hours.

Neither of these options worked for me. Hence my forum name (I started posting here shortly before we had our 3rd kid in 3.5 years)!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
As a fellow new Dad how do you juggle baby sitting duties when on the mountain?
Own place that's ski-in-ski-out and bringing grandmothers has been the key so far.

Though today we will tag team. We renovated over summer and it's super comfy here so CG is happy playing with little miss fartypants inside. Also worth noting that we've got a couple of thousand ski days over the average person so the fomo isn't great. Right now she couldn't really give a fcuk that I'm just about to go out and ski pow.

Reactions: Born2ski
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass