Snow Report Mt Buller 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Yep it’s really starting to shit me.

You used to be able to run a line close to the chair and hop the rocks when there was half-decent snow, or ride the wall against the trees on the other side, and on either of those lines you didnt need to move off the fall-line much to get into that corkscrew (which opens up again once you're through it) but now you dont have many options and it really kills the run, unless you're the first down after decent snow @PlowKing

Reactions: The Plowking

benzerknees

Hard Yards
Oct 16, 2010
Boulders/Rough Cut/Lower Men’s/Bloody Hell?
I can confirm this one is doable, but stay on rock & shrub alert.
Fed1.jpg

And this lift looks set to open.........................................................................................for a BBQ.
VTbar.jpg

Attachments

• Fed1.jpg
    Fed1.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 4

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
How come they only groom about a half dozen runs at Buller?
They didn’t even bother w Grimus overnight which was an obvious run to have groomed w an overnight freeze.

Grimus (summit slide) was definitely groomed. Skiied it this morning. Mclaughlins shoulder about 12:30-1:30 was the pick of the day for me.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I skied Grimus this morning and it was groomed.
A Buller groom, one single strip a turn wide as per photos above.
Grooming is also about snow conservation, so I dont get why Buller aren't masters at it.
Lots of silly little omissions they never seem to groom like from the Koflers load down to Howqa load, always a rutted up ice-field disaster zone. Nothing for Boggy Creek which if packed down and farmed properly would stave the melt, I could make a long list.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
A Buller groom, one single strip a turn wide as per photos above.
Grooming is also about snow conservation, so I dont get why Buller aren't masters at it.
Lots of silly little omissions they never seem to groom like from the Koflers load down to Howqa load, always a rutted up ice-field disaster zone. Nothing for Boggy Creek which if packed down and farmed properly would stave the melt, I could make a long list.

Agree with a lot of this. I've seen ski-jos in Japan a fraction of the size of Buller (and budget) groom meticulously every single night and it's great to have it done properly.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Agree Boodwah it could be way better. They really need to run the groomer up cow camp too.

Boggy Creek T bar also shut down for an hour or so middle of the day which impacted people build up at Grimus.

Reactions: Vermillion

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I'd be interested to know if it's a budget or an infrastructure thing. There's a lot to groom every night, do they have enough equipment to do the job? How much grooming can a groomer do in a night?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I hate how they refuse to summer groom the bit where it corkscrews in, thus severely limiting your options when the cover becomes a bit suspect or the moguls build up to VW beetle size. If they just summer groomed that area it would open up so many more consistent lines.

Perhaps we could ask Dave Clark if there's an 'official' Buller answer about the missing summer grooming. It's a fair question. Let's face it face it, with Buller's snow pack often well below a metre, it needs to summer groom and farm better than the big 4. Not just make snow.

Perhaps stakeholders could feed this up through official channels? Assuming there is one?

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Thredbo is obviously the benchmark for maintaining a base down to 1400m or lower, i'm surprized Buller has never sought to capitalise on the same with intelligent snowmaking and grooming. With an initial investment, keeping things open down to Cow Camp and Federation for season's length would be attainable.

Reactions: snowgum

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Thredbo is obviously the benchmark for maintaining a base down to 1400m or lower, i'm surprized Buller has never sought to capitalise on the same with intelligent snowmaking and grooming. With an initial investment, keeping things open down to Cow Camp and Federation for season's length would be attainable.
Water is the issue, dam going in this summer should fix it. Wood Run & Standard are the next snowmaking targets, with Grimus after that I think.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Dangerous things saplings (aside from impeding skiing per Se)

If a 'runner' drapes down and freezes into the snowpack you have a hidden loop waiting to trip unsuspecting skiers. This happened to me during dump#3 2017 in the trees on far RHS of Blue Ribbon area. Luckily I was going very slowly - being under trees - after tripping my head was only half a metre in front of a bloody big Snowgum trunk! (|:-(

So Buller - all Mtns have an OHS obligation in regard to summer grooming on 'main' designated run (as opposed to 'off-run' wooded areas I've quoted.

Reactions: MickM

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
I have never once seen a PP on one of the runs. I know they are nocturnal, but do they even habitat there?

One was running around just below Koflers a few weeks back. The ski patrol looked to be trying to
move it along, away from the main ski area under the chair.

Reactions: MickM

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
One was running around just below Koflers a few weeks back. The ski patrol looked to be trying to

Having seen and 'patted' one at Hotham, I can confirm they're pretty friendly little critters & dont seem to overly fear humans - probably to their detriment. Certainly not something I'd want destroy by our actions - but as described above, it seems Snowgum sapling removal or lack thereof is more about budgets and resources than environment & PP protection. Happy to be corrected!

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb

They can be mistaken for Bush Mice of which there are loads of at Buller.
There was one that popped out from under the snow right at the Chamwow mid load 2 seasons ago, people there saying oo-ah Pygmy Possum, nope, Bush Mouse. (Bush Rat)

https://cdn.mtbullercdn.com.au/asse...brochures/small_mammals_a4_folded_for_web.pdf

do you actually ever enjoy skiing at Buller?

I'd say it's a normal season up here. Late August, everything open and plenty of solid snowpack for September.

what a great day today. Grimus lift line was surprisingly quiet and SCV Hut run and the McLaughlins Shoulder generally were in great condition all morning. Bluebird all day, clouds rolled in about 4.30/5.00

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
do you actually ever enjoy skiing at Buller?

I'd say it's a normal season up here. Late August, everything open and plenty of solid snowpack for September.

what a great day today. Grimus lift line was surprisingly quiet and SCV Hut run and the McLaughlins Shoulder generally were in great condition all morning. Bluebird all day, clouds rolled in about 4.30/5.00

Thought yesterday was a bit better. Wind was a bit brutal this morning! But fun day out, after McLaighlins shoulder was some of the better skiing. Less people today than yesterday I reckon.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Some good shots Jelly Beans.

Looks like Lower Federation desperately wants a Snowgum sapling clear too. Maybe needs 1.5m snowpack to flatten everything?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Plenty of rules. A friend of mine had to do a full vegetation audit of the ski area so they could know where they could and couldn’t summer groom once all the environmental stuff came in.

That’s why I’m only talking about snow gum saplings as I know a lot of the other vegetation isn’t allowed to be trimmed.

Reactions: Alfred14

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
A few runs I went on today should have been closed already. Boomerang was not friendly to my board, and a couple of others had some very patchy cover. Brumby wasn't closed but had some markers at the top for some very patchy rocks.

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
Anyone know if I can walk up to lift ticket office, in the village and pay/ get a early bird season pass over the counter?
Cheers

Well, would ya look at wot the (snow)cat dragged in!

In the interest of public health and safety (namely, mine), the following images indicate generic Buller aspects only.

So then I got dragged up here . . .

cMsdrKg.jpg

QXD3MEL.jpg

And I got dragged there . . .

96IAQR6.jpg

6QF8zkB.jpg

After that I got dragged right up here . . .

DpsgTxQ.jpg

48t8IoI.jpg

I also got dragged right down there . . .

oulf8hp.jpg

Then I got dragged real high here . . .

wFA6vG1.jpg

Then I got drugged even higher here . . .

No, that’s not a typo @kimberlee81, as it is, in fact, my lusciously succulent, deliciously decadent drug of dependency.

:D

e1o1hHg.jpg

Oh my lawdy lawdy, it's one of those times when . . .

6DWaqhT.jpg

giphy.gif

So all in all, ‘twas a rather pleasurable day indeed. The snow may not be quite epic proportions, but the Mogul certainly made up for it.

:emoji_doughnut::emoji_doughnut::yum::yum::emoji_pig::emoji_pig:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Super low vis day today. Given the temp and cloud cover, we waited until 9:30 to head out. On the advice of guest services, we headed to LBS for laps as there was better visibility reported there. A few LBS runs done, we hit Wombat once but the weather was closing in. We went back to the village, checking out Burger Haus for lunch (pretty good!) and meeting up with our friend after her discovery lesson.
One more ride up the express lift and we decided that the spa sounded more appealing, given the pea souper we were heading up into.
At the worst, vis was around 15-20m?

While on the wombat lift we also discovered that we missed out on the parma special at Abom on Tuesdays. Does anyone know of any good deals / specials on meals on Wednesdays or Thursdays?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass