Snow Report Mt Buller 2020 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 27, 2020
Dam looks full, how is being filled? didnt think there was enough rainfall to fill it that quick, snow melt at that location doesnt look like it would add much.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
God Dam, it looked pretty full this morning! And dark, it looked dark.
IMG_20200714_093611.jpg

And randomly they've pushed the recently formed Himalayas out into a wide trail leading from the top of BB1 to the middle of Shaky. I say randomly because only yesterday I was told Shaky was being canned for the season and Standard and Bull Run lift were the extra run and lift we'd be getting this year to supplement the epic trifecta of Baldy, Skyline and Bourke Street. I can't keep up.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
And Bull Run probably opens up a few better options than the Fox as well, on the off chance that it ever actually snows properly again at the resort!

It’s been known to happen. :rolleyes:

Now that 85% of Victoria is in Lockdown it’s sure to Start snowing snow in truckloads. :(

Reactions: nezumi

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Interesting and nice to see the guns going as the initial response was no snowmaking as it is to expensive this season.

Then again if you're going to stay open be the only resort open in Vic and market to regional Vic skiers, you want to make sure there is something to ski, so good choice IMO.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Interesting and nice to see the guns going as the initial response was no snowmaking as it is to expensive this season.

Then again if you're going to stay open be the only resort open in Vic and market to regional Vic skiers, you want to make sure there is something to ski, so good choice IMO.
I always thought that the weather was the problem, not money for snowmaking.

Reactions: skiflat

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
I always thought that the weather was the problem, not money for snowmaking.
Well the weather has been bad, but apparently from the management owners meeting last week they were going to cull snow-making, but either that wasn't true or they have back flipped which is good news.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Be also good for the Timbertop kids so they can compare coverage to the Dolomites.

Actually be a good spot to be for school this year! Pretty much isolated and they run their own calendar so have full flexibility away from ‘normal holidays’. Their revised term 3 started on 8th June, so they have all been at school while everyone else was on holidays.

SnowKid

Hard Yards
Jul 16, 2020
Tirol, Austria
Apart from Baldy/Bourke/Skyline, there has been snowmaking on both Standard and Summit for the past 2 mornings (at least). Buller IG also posted a photo of the Summit guns on - would like to think that means they are considering opening that chair at some stage, perhaps if there is decent snowfall over this Sunday/Monday(?). Should see them on again tonight with the cold, dry air that is across the mountain currently.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Apart from Baldy/Bourke/Skyline, there has been snowmaking on both Standard and Summit for the past 2 mornings (at least). Buller IG also posted a photo of the Summit guns on - would like to think that means they are considering opening that chair at some stage, perhaps if there is decent snowfall over this Sunday/Monday(?). Should see them on again tonight with the cold, dry air that is across the mountain currently.

Summit would be good - Buller really lacks the mountain experience without summit - never mind the offer of a solid blue run(s).

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Yeah wasn't there rumours that it would only be Bull Run and The Fox as further additions?
You would be opening Howqua too if you open that.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Perhaps a sign that they are actually seeing decent amount of people coming up.
AIUI one of the constraints on resort numbers is the number that you could shelter with SD if you had to, eg landslide. people staying on mountain are covered by their lodge beds. daytrippers OTOH have to be found a warm dry place. So more demand does not necessarily equal more lifts.

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
I often have a few negative things to say about buller management but this season I think they have done remarkably well given the insane amount of curve balls that keep coming.
I can’t believe people are still up there holidaying and enjoying the season, very lucky.
A bad day up the mountains is still better than a good day at work

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
I often have a few negative things to say about buller management but this season I think they have done remarkably well given the insane amount of curve balls that keep coming.
I can’t believe people are still up there holidaying and enjoying the season, very lucky.
A bad day up the mountains is still better than a good day at work
Yup, 100% agree with this. I'm the first to criticise when I see something I don't like but they've been outstanding so far this year in the most difficult of circumstances.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
I'm calling the plan as Race Club to Summit, TBR to Chamois and more paid punters on Bourke Street to take their place! I just made that up by the way but it fits what I see happening day to day :D

Reactions: Alexg1687
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass