1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Buller 2020 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by djam, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

Holidays and going to second homes are banned except for emergency maintenance this time around however.

Exercise of course is not however, and XC skiing sounds like it is classified as exercise, so perhaps it is an overreach this time as well.

Depends where you want to put the line. I am assuming Parks closures is more about rangers and management, rather than actual social distancing restrictions upon visitors in the regional parks.

bluestick likes this.
  2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The last time I was talking about with Falls was actually after the first lockdown: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/c...ralian-2020-season.87169/page-45#post-4287114

This was the communication from them: https://mailchi.mp/fallscreek.com.au/stakeholder-village-access-rego?e=81eb40e17b

At the same time Buller was allowing village access as it was legal in accordance with the govt regs at the time, they just asked people to not ski due to safety issues regarding completion of the dam and Standard snowmaking.

3. CarveMan

Anyway lifts officially closing after today.

4. CarveMan

"
    It is with considerable regret that I must inform you that BSL has been forced to suspend its lift operations at 5:00 PM on Thursday 6 August. The suspension is due to the COVID-19 Stage 3 Restrictions imposed by the State Government in regional Victoria and clarified today with the publication of the Restrictive Directions. I can assure you that BSL has used its absolute best efforts to attempt to maintain its winter operations and your jobs. It is possible, that snow conditions and public health restrictions permitting that lifts could reopen after 13 September.
    "

Ted Harper and Guthega Girl like this.
  5. TOFF

TOFF Im not the messiah Ski Pass: Gold

:( :( :( :(

6. Dave Clark

Dave Clark One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thursday 6 August 2020 - Alpine Resorts to close to visitors

The Victorian Government advised this morning that as part of its stage 3 coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions across regional Victoria, all Victorian alpine resorts must not allow members of the public to enter the resorts. Accordingly, visitors will not be permitted to enter the Mt Buller & Mt Stirling Resorts from 5:00pm on Thursday 6 August 2020, and any breaches will be eligible for a significant fine.

Permanent residents, seasonal residents and on-mountain staff are permitted to remain living within the resorts during these stage 3 restrictions. These restrictions apply to all people living within the resorts, who are only permitted to leave their accommodation for one of the four allowed reasons and only if wearing a face covering.
    Further details are available here www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au

The Resort Management Board will continue to provide core services through this time, although there may be some reductions such as the frequency of road clearing and rubbish removal, the hours of operation of Reception and the Post Office, and whether there is a need for any medical centre or transportation services. The playgrounds at Mirimbah and within the Mt Buller Village have been closed.

The Government has advised that:

• the on-mountain supermarket can continue to operate
    • takeaway food & beverage outlets can continue to operate
    • people living within the resorts can continue to exercise outdoors including cross country skiing
    • ski lifts cannot operate.

Aractus likes this.
  7. CarveMan

Hats off to all up there for trying so hard. It's hugely appreciated from afar and nice to know that BSL did everything in their power to look after their customers and dependent businesses.

8. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Addicted

Good on Buller for holding firm to the end.... also i gather there is going to be a few 'government grants' for loss of income due to them shutting it down 100% officially... the world we live in now.

Hold tight and bring on September 13 and be kind snow gods

snowgum and CarveMan like this.
  9. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Conflicted, sad, concerned about all the people there, especially the seasonaires. Will this lead to more people trying to stay at the Clay pits in Jindy in a fortnight? ..... :confused::cry:

Guthega Girl likes this.
  10. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Unfortunatly inevitable. :(

11. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

Surely you couldn’t get across the border without a valid reason.

nezumi likes this.
  12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It was confusing at FC to begin with. AIUI they did allow people to drive through to the national park. They did not allow non residents into the village.

CarveMan likes this.
  13. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Addicted

surely if you are a seasonal snow worker and they've just closed down the bloody state and your income you can go 'quarantine' and seek work in other 'open' ski resorts

14. currawong

snowgum likes this.
  15. Snow Dog

Snow Dog One of Us

Thank you BSL and all the Buller stakeholders (small business, service providers etc) for trying so hard...you kept it going right up to the last minute which was very much appreciated after our 1st good snowfall for the season on Tuesday...

skichanger, Dave Clark and sastrugi like this.
  16. currawong

=========
    Posted before i saw that buller had conceded

17. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

This was looking somewhat inevitable, but huge kudos to BSL for making every possible effort to be a viable, compliant, safe proposition this season.

Can't wait to get up for substantial amounts of MTB once the smoke clears.

Dave Clark, skichanger, djam and 2 others like this.
  18. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

LOL“The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast”

I’m saddened and am ambivalent about closure. I feel deeply for local businesses and seasonal staff who rely on our ever-short season. However, I suppose it’s the right thing to do if Andrews’ plan is to keep people, and therefore the virus, contained within a small area

Several months ago, so many of us were pleading for everyone to do the Right Thing so that we had a chance to ski this season (let alone a chance of reasonable normality in day to day life), but too many didn’t adhere to the directives. People trying to find loopholes and ways around the regulations, or flouting them altogether over the last few months, is what got us to this point. Unfortunately, the regs have now needed to be tightened to best ensure the handful of numptees who can’t be trusted do as told this time.

Stage 3 in Metro Melbourne meant exercising within close proximity to home, to keep people-movement and spread to the minimum. That meant we couldn’t even drive a half hour for a walk along a deserted coast, half hour into the CBD, or to the mountains. If that now applies to Regional S3, then I suppose even residents of Mansfield, Merrijig, etc shouldn’t really be driving up for "exercise", let alone coming from halfway across the state or further, simply because it’s “regional”.

September 13? I suspect not, at least for the bulk of us. I think restrictions will only be eased slightly, and very gradually this time. Too much too soon last time, and people went a bit crazy. Restrictions eased for economic reasons (yeah how has that worked out for us!), not because it was safe, or wise.

It would have taken many hours and effort nutting out the plans for Buller to open and stay open this season. Full admiration in trying everything possible to stay open even when Mother Nature was throwing tomatoes at her from all directions, but I also think it’s the right thing to close to help ensure everyone stays home as much as possible. Hopefully this will finally pull numbers back down and end this Groundhog Day life sooner rather than later.

19. bugeater

bugeater Hard Yards

I think those stats about the number of people not at home when they receive their positive test results indicates it’s not a handful. It’s a significant minority. Appreciate there are situations where people are juggling putting food on the table versus doing the right thing, but that’s surely not the main reason. In most cases I suspect it’s stupidity, lack of respect for authority and selfishness.

Personally I think there should be a minimal tolerance approach, especially if there aren’t reasonable mitigating circumstances. They lock people up for crimes that don’t hurt anyone but themselves, yet if you spread a potentially deadly disease it’s a minor infraction.

Let’s hope we get next season...

dibl0c, nezumi, Guthega Girl and 3 others like this.
  20. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

Kudos to the resort for holding firm and staying open until forced by the government to shut. It would have been nice to see the Vail resorts do the same, and put more collective pressure on the Victorian government to allow the ski season to continue (which I believe they could have done safely). The issue I have is that the Victorian government, along with Queensland and several other State governments, does not have a realistic long term plan for containing the virus. Suppression and containment is supposed to be the policy, and that's going to have to last (probably) at least 4 years. Their actions to-date have not reflected this, the NSW government is much better in this regard in my opinion, though there's still room for improvement. I've said it before, I'll say it again, State-wide restrictions are illogical, a more targeted approach would be far better. It's not realistic for the next 4 years to throw the whole State into Stage 3 lock-downs whenever an outbreak flares up...

21. SkiMun

SkiMun Part of the Furniture

I'm hoping there will be a snowfall in late Dec like it happened back in 2005(?). Skied Lake Mountain back then.;)

dibl0c, Bogong, mx_boarder and 2 others like this.
  22. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Who knows. That is why I was wondering.
    Seems to me the seasonal workers are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Guthega Girl likes this.
  23. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Incoming! temps marginal - should be interesting.

24. xuěboarder

xuěboarder One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Some interesting cloud formations on the cams have made for fun viewing over the last few hours.

25. wolly

wolly One of Us

Very very windy now up here. And yes clouds incoming

26. djam

djam One of Us

so far it's the right stuff, being the white stuff :)

mx_boarder, Guthega Girl and CarveMan like this.
  27. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Addicted

snow... just in time for stage 3, the snow gods clearly dislike Victorians right now, NSW cousins getting amongst it over next few days :(

nezumi likes this.
  28. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

29. djam

djam One of Us

on and off, snow, sleet and the other thing last 12 hours... good base building stuff

30. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    I don't think that's a surprise to anyone or really any different to people from Melbourne sneaking out to holiday homes or just sneaking out of Melb in general. If Hotham and falls had been open it would have been happening there as well. Some people think they're above the law and I think it happens across all sectors of the Melb population.

31. JuLe

JuLe Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

At least someone’s enjoying the fresh... Unless some cross country folks want to share some pics?!

Chaeron likes this.
  32. Snow Dog

Snow Dog One of Us

10cm extra wet stuff overnight - good for base / not good for skiing
    Skied Woodie, Skyline and Bourke St in the r**n until 10:30am - leg breaking porridge with Bourke St the pick!
    Balcony temp says 4.6C (odd because the BOM have it at 1.0C - and it def feels warmer than 1.0C outside)

33. currawong

Dave Clark and Bogong like this.
  34. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah Gladys and Kerry are very much of the philosophy that keeps the whole state open with very targeted restrictions. Their hand has been somewhat forced by how out of control VIC got in such a short space of time though.

Bogong likes this.
  35. Hermon

Hermon One of Us

Why aren't they named and shamed like the Queensland teens that hit the headlines?

xuěboarder and nezumi like this.
  36. CarveMan

Defamation perhaps?

37. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

38. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds right

39. CarveMan

Anyway the story missed out on the restraining order after the confrontation...... :out:

Guthega Girl likes this.
  40. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

$$$!

41. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

There was an interesting story on media watch last week pointing out how there had been dozens of cases of people lying to get across the QLD border and subsequently caught (including a COVID infected doctor from Melbourne) but the only one which got significant media attention was the ‘young foreign looking girls plasted in make-up’.

xuěboarder, currawong and nezumi like this.
  42. Zilla

Zilla First Runs

Because you'd be asking for a lawsuit when no one has been caught/fined/charged by the police.

Bogong likes this.
  43. Hermon

Hermon One of Us

Why not? Did they make some phone calls to some influential politicians and 'friends'?

44. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

45. wolly

wolly One of Us

2 45 Sunday arvo 9 8 2020

Alleve, MarkV and hongomania like this.
  46. djam

djam One of Us

there's that Sunday arvo rush again...

jbprophoto and Alleve like this.
  47. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am just amazed about the conditions this year - I think the snow gods are looking after us COVID prisoners this year. This week is normally the best snow week of the season and I cannot believe these 2 camera views... It certainly makes it easier to know we are not allowed to ski...

No amount of snow making can fill that Summit camera view...

48. CarveMan

Yep. I had the best skiing of anyone at Buller so far this year. In May.

Dave Clark, Chux-sw, kylep and 7 others like this.
  49. Snow Dog

Snow Dog One of Us

should have seen it a week ago - even worse
    skinning now limited to previous snow making areas + LBS and Wombat
    Buller team v nicely groomed skyline last night! - so perfect this morning

the weather really sucks this year

xuěboarder, mx_boarder and CarveMan like this.
  50. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As stated elsewhere if it had only fallen early -mid June? Wouldn’t make it it a good season but there would have been a base to plonk snowmaking on?

NSW ice shows what happens when big wet dumps are followed by freezing nights and mild days for 1-2 week intervals. Not great but it’s better than Vic’s meagre hand. :confused:

cornice11 and CarveMan like this.