The Chammy
SP rolled over, and fingers crossed...

giphy.gif

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Friend of mine just arrived up at the village for the weekend... let’s say he wasn’t expecting to be driving up in the snow!

Attachments

• IMG_0708.mov
    2.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 0E730697-E679-46F1-8E05-8F93475228AA.png
    0E730697-E679-46F1-8E05-8F93475228AA.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: SMSkier

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Sadly page 52 of this shows how Bloody Hell is considered from a vegetation perspective: https://dc0b3a3e-6027-4943-8bb4-858...d/b19fc4_d41c921ea3764c6fa26341a4ce79f6d5.pdf

Dont need to read that to boil down the plan in a short sentence
"Bring more possums from Hotham to Buller"

Someone should call the RSPCA on them, Buller isn't the natural habitat of the Possum, those Hotham ones will just starve to death there and produce runt litters that will fall prey to Birds etc, it's just animal cruelty.

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
I notice falls has teased their resort entry being released soon, any inside word from buller? Haven't seen anything from the RMB yet.

Reactions: Chaeron

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
I’m curious to know everyone’s thoughts about what the season ahead might hold in terms of visitor numbers at Buller? (Assuming a COVID-safe business as usual on the mountain). I’m not sure what percentage of punters are international tourists on any given weekend, but with that market most likely out of the equation again this year, do you think we’ll still see strong numbers with the boost in domestic tourism? I worry for the businesses that depend on the snow season if they can’t take in a decent profit for another year. I know it’s strange to hope for crowds, but I genuinely mean it!! Do you think the ski-deprived regulars plus the Aussie tourists will be enough?

Hope you’re all doing well!

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
I’m curious to know everyone’s thoughts about what the season ahead might hold in terms of visitor numbers at Buller? (Assuming a COVID-safe business as usual on the mountain). I’m not sure what percentage of punters are international tourists on any given weekend, but with that market most likely out of the equation again this year, do you think we’ll still see strong numbers with the boost in domestic tourism? I worry for the businesses that depend on the snow season if they can’t take in a decent profit for another year. I know it’s strange to hope for crowds, but I genuinely mean it!! Do you think the ski-deprived regulars plus the Aussie tourists will be enough?

Hope you’re all doing well!
I have heard that BSL are working on 40 % capacity... But I cannot confirm this.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
Now we will see who has the best contact! 40% would mean 1 person per T-bar and both triple and quad chairs and 2 on the Abom chair. That would not be sustainable.
(Mind you - southside would notice no difference)

Reactions: Chaeron

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Now we will see who has the best contact! 40% would mean 1 person per T-bar and both triple and quad chairs and 2 on the Abom chair. That would not be sustainable.
(Mind you - southside would notice no difference)
80% of a person per T-Bar - so it will only be hobbits like me, @scullee and @Doonks who can ride.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Did they give any indication??
They indicated transport bottlenecks like I hinted at earlier, and said that we should tell our customers to avoid peak weekends wherever possible unless they are lodge/apartment people or those who are well drilled in their routine. Spring/midweek should be pushed even more than normal. Getting to Mirimbah at 9:30 on a busy Saturday is going to be a bad time.

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
They indicated transport bottlenecks like I hinted at earlier, and said that we should tell our customers to avoid peak weekends wherever possible unless they are lodge/apartment people or those who are well drilled in their routine. Spring/midweek should be pushed even more than normal. Getting to Mirimbah at 9:30 on a busy Saturday is going to be a bad time.
Don't come to Buller because our transport system cannot cope:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017

I'd be interested to know if there has been any difference in the pre-booking demand for the Buller bus's (both from Melbourne and Mansfield).

As any drop in demand from 2019 and prior would probably indicate more people planning to drive up, with added stress on roads and resort transport.

Hopefully by June public transport reluctance would have faded, otherwise it could be busy for those driving.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Gotta get the server part worked out, shouldn’t be too hard.

But this is the first snowfall since it went in and I think it’s a winner.

There’s nowhere near enough bandwidth to serve video, maybe when my Starlink dish arrives, but it’s nice that I can watch it when it’s snowing.

Reactions: Sage O

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Gotta get the server part worked out, shouldn’t be too hard.

But this is the first snowfall since it went in and I think it’s a winner.

There’s nowhere near enough bandwidth to serve video, maybe when my Starlink dish arrives, but it’s nice that I can watch it when it’s snowing.
Keen to see the tech info of the setup at some point

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Keen to see the tech info of the setup at some point
Cam is a pretty basic webcam off Amazon sitting on my window sill, it has an FTP function but it’s not reliable, I’ve got it set up to push images to my NAS at home every 5 minutes but the pics are often corrupted and also don’t always arrive, but it has a URL to deliver the latest pic, which is reliable, so I need some sort of script to poll that URL and then serve the images on an industrial scale.

Reactions: KylePee

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Cam is a pretty basic webcam off Amazon sitting on my window sill, it has an FTP function but it’s not reliable, I’ve got it set up to push images to my NAS at home every 5 minutes but the pics are often corrupted and also don’t always arrive, but it has a URL to deliver the latest pic, which is reliable, so I need some sort of script to poll that URL and then serve the images on an industrial scale.
Cool, so is that just via the camera’s included software?
Guessing no NAS or computer permanently at Buller? Low fi option would be to store locally to a folder with cloud service sync then access that sync. Proper option I imagine would be a lightweight script to do the same?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Cool, so is that just via the camera’s included software?
Guessing no NAS or computer permanently at Buller? Low fi option would be to store locally to a folder with cloud service sync then access that sync. Proper option I imagine would be a lightweight script to do the same?
I’ve got a Raspberry Pi doing nothing at home so I bet I could get that to be a reliable intermediary up there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass