Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Went out for a couple of late laps before dark. Was fun but as the Buller snow report would probably say the vibe was smooth and creamy rather than dry and powdery... Clearly we've been spoiled for the last week or so!
Do the same thing tomorrow and I bet you’ll say different.

Reactions: blueandwhite
Haven’t seen this for a while

683B554C-53FA-485A-982A-08D65A871B95.jpeg

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
-5, fresh show, should be very good today. I think if anyone could complain about anything maybe just that it's going to be a bit variable in places due to high winds overnight.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
Question : does that fact that loads of snow had fallen, but no-one had skied it, mean that the high-volume areas in the resort will wear better over the remainder of the season ?

Reactions: Alexg1687

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Question : does that fact that loads of snow had fallen, but no-one had skied it, mean that the high-volume areas in the resort will wear better over the remainder of the season ?
If probably say yes because the snow has been allowed to accumulate somewhat undisturbed as opposed to having skiers push it down and to the sides. Bottom corner of Standard will be a good place to watch.

Reactions: pmbten and nezumi

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Just cleared our balcony. Hate to say it but getting a bit of a damp vibe outside... Still -2 degrees up top apparently though.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just cleared our balcony. Hate to say it but getting a bit of a damp vibe outside... Still -2 degrees up top apparently though.
Was always going to happen. Not sure if a morning ski will be worth it, then we need to watch it rain for a day and a half or so, before more snow on Wed.

Just need to see if the shop will be allowed to open on Wed to see what my movements are. I’d like to take our 3yo for a ski on the lifts but the weather looks pretty feral as far as is forecast - which is what tends to happen in any good season, lots of weather.

Reactions: blueandwhite

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Photos later, but I expect I can see 50+ tress and branches broken overnight. There has to be 1000 down in the village overall.

• Sad
Reactions: LiveToSki

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
I would stay well clear of trees for now, if it warms up, they will start dropping off some of the load, some wind would help too. But at the same time, once the tree thaws, it can also be a time they snap, as seen from the results overnight. I've been asked to go help clear some broken trees with the chainsaw. But most those are under other trees, so I'll wait it out for a while as it is hard to leave here without walking under many trees.

Reactions: KylePee and snowgum

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
day of the season yesterday
was going to drop into Chamois for a pre school run with the daughter early this morning but the rain had turned it into leg breaker mush
foul this morning
positively dangerous out there with the trees today - so many down and some of them big!

Reactions: Tanuki

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
day of the season yesterday
was going to drop into Chamois for a pre school run with the daughter early this morning but the rain had turned it into leg breaker mush
foul this morning
positively dangerous out there with the trees today - so many down and some of them big!

Yes, better to err on the side of caution and then there’s the kiddie factor.

Some of the snowgums are huge - unlike the saplings at the tree line. That’s a lot of mass to come down.

Here’s hoping the tree-factor will settle in combination with better weather (snow over rain) and an easing in LD? Not asking for much?

Reactions: Snow Dog

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
another 200mm + tree just come down out front, maybe 2 tonne in all on the ground.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
you might get about 3 seconds warning, once it starts cracking, you can't move more then a metre once you work out which way to go, in these snow conditions in that time.

Reactions: Snow Dog

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
If restrictions "lift" in Victoria tomorrow night, and given all the snow etc, how long before the resort is up and running in terms of lifts, runs, parking etc? Can see a lot of snow clearing, grooming work required!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Thanks! That is very quick!
Lots of people on-mountain for the season plus regional skiers would be very disappointed if the mountain didn’t open straight away.

To what extent it opens immediately remains to be seen, ie I wouldn’t be expecting to see every lift open straight away but the core/key lifts will. I saw groomers out on LBS yesterday when I was exercising.

Reactions: DbSki and john_k

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
It is possible you will need a negative covid test and part on entry. Sadly the forecast for Wednesday is some what ordinary. The resort will find out as soon as it is announced publicly.

Note the trees are now loosing snow/ice at a fair rate, a few more hours and the tree falling danger will be very small. Oh, and the wind is picking up, also helping.

Reactions: Ice Bear
Jun 11, 2020
On top of warnings on tree’s (anyone want some firewood?), I will throw a warning out for lodge roof’s.

Lots of snow falling off, blocking roads and we don’t need to think back too many years for the upmost tragedy. Stay away.

On lifts… enough casuals stayed around to open all/majority of runs? Tough year again I am hearing.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
I finally took a walk around half the village this afternoon, to record many photos of the fallen trees.

Here is the area outside my office, it is a good example of the extent of the tree damage.

1627282107668.png

I guess I'm not leaving any time soon, this is Woollybutt lane.

1627282702199.png

Bus'ted

1627282524970.png

• Wow
Reactions: JM72 and Snowy Joey

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
BTW although trees might not be breaking now, there are lot of large branches hanging on other limbs that are yet to fall to beware of.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass