Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Blitzen

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2013
I just don’t know if the accomm rule is overarching or if alpine is exception. I’m waiting for a challenge. What does Govt want, even more holidays cancelled? The family only rule won’t even go close to getting things up and running for alpine businesses. It’s seems insane, especially inside a testing bubble. Someone with a voice in the right place needs to challenge it. Resort operators seem oblivious to the issue. If people start cancelling due to the rules I guess they’ll start to take notice.

Jun 11, 2020
It’s seems insane, especially inside a testing bubble.
What is your situation? Dorm style lodge? Have had a few chats to people around the mountain this afternoon, and haven’t come across lodges with many concerns/cancellations.

I guess today’s announcements are what most of us already had plans around. The 4sqm signs are coming back out!!

Blitzen

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2013
What is your situation? Dorm style lodge? Have had a few chats to people around the mountain this afternoon, and haven’t come across lodges with many concerns/cancellations.

I guess today’s announcements are what most of us already had plans around. The 4sqm signs are coming back out!!
Situation is an apartment booking with people from multiple households.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

jbprophoto

Hard Yards
May 30, 2019
Coburg North
Absolutely pumped !
After 4 cancellations on our snow stays @ The Arlberg last season / last week we're booked in for 4 days mid week next week to try out my new updated Volkl Race Tigers etc and get out of Melbourne good and proper for a while!
And look how much white stuff there is !!!!!
Calling my clients in the morning to tell them the bad news :)

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
At what sort of wind speeds do the lifts go on wind hold?

At the moment BOM is showing some strong winds forecast.

My Covid test is done - and now deciding BTW hitting the hill either Thursday or Friday. Also worried about visibility on Thursday. As a day tripper, a considerable investment only to find lifts on wind hold and poor vis!

BOM buller.jpg

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
I’m in snow pony from 10:15 till 3.
Same timing for Hooha though switch am and pm
I'm heading up Friday as well - will avoid Snow Pony from 10:15 till 3

Just a quick one - I thought I saw somewhere (probably last year but didnt end up skiing) - do seasons pass holders need to register somewhere if they are skiing on a particular day?

SpaceLincoln

Hard Yards
Sep 5, 2019
At what sort of wind speeds do the lifts go on wind hold?

At the moment BOM is showing some strong winds forecast.

My Covid test is done - and now deciding BTW hitting the hill either Thursday or Friday. Also worried about visibility on Thursday. As a day tripper, a considerable investment only to find lifts on wind hold and poor vis!

BOM buller.jpg

I'm in the same boat! Just got my test result but decided not to go today because of the wind.

What do people think? Should tomorrow be okay?

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
A piece of unsolicited advice....
In the current state of affairs, go when you can not when snow/weather is good. Why? Because procrastination might mean you won't go at all. 1 unlinked case popped up today. Take it or leave it...

...carry on.
So agree I booked early season trips thinking anything can happen and as we can’t get out this dec - March o/s we have to take what we can get as it’s the best we can do

Last edited:

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Went out early with my son before work. Very quiet on Cham and out of the wind but very low visibility after yesterday's great weather - they even turned the lights on today. Nicely groomed and soft but imagine it's a mess by now. Did a couple of laps and did the tows once so son could do them for the first time. Top tow wasn't running though so dad had to be the rawdog tow... Skied soft standard which was fun and then both nearly lost it on Lydia's corner, absolute treacle on that corner! Started raining a bit more heavily so headed home. Worth going out for sure but please could we have a freeze and some visibility again. Pretty please!

Cham yesterday:
IMG_20210728_132257.jpg

Cham today:
Screenshot_20210728_131550_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_72182960441067.jpg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I'm going up tomorrow (it'll be my only chance for the next couple of weeks). Fingers crossed the forecast doesn't get any worse.
Mt. William, Grampians, is at ~ 1.8C, down a tad from 3C+. A few hours ago.

Should see <0C in the alps later today - freezing those soggy snowpacks tonight?

I note the next wave is approaching Melbourne from Ballarat - it will arrive in ~ 60-90 mins. It’s v breezy here but the sun feels warm (~16C too!)

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I’m not following the rationale for testing visitors if you can only stay with your family anyway. If you have a number of guests staying in one apartment and they’ve all tested negative, what difference does it make if they’re from different households?
Testing is only to thin out the number of people going.
Tourists on foot for example are unlikely to get tested just to sight see.
Day trippers are not indoors and present no risk so it has no medical grounding, if it did it would only apply to overnighters..
As they are well aware that the SA person that brought it to Vic in LD 4 got it in the last 24 hrs of iso and 72 hrs is plenty of time to get it.

benzerknees

Addicted
Oct 16, 2010
My result still pending though only tested at 11:00am today.
I feel quietly confident I'll be ok ;)
I am quietly not confident.

I went in to Mansfield to get a test yesterday with many paniced others from the local area. The hospital to it's credit extended their usual part time testing regime. We got told 24 - 48 hrs is usual country time to get a result.

If it takes 48 hrs , I might get to ski Thurs arvo and Friday, before needing another valid test. (hopefully it comes before tomorrow morning) So I really should be getting another test today, if I wanted to ski on the weekend.
Judging by the amount of traffic going past to Buller atm, I think Melbourne folks have their results already from yesterday.

I'm thinking it is going to be quicker to travel back and forth to Melbourne to be tested, which sort of defeats the purpose a bit.

Unless they change the rules to say a test is valid 7 days, like they have for staff, I think it will be close to impossible for people doing more than 2 or 3 days off mountain, unless Buller ramps up some on mountain testing.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
I am quietly not confident.

I went in to Mansfield to get a test yesterday with many paniced others from the local area. The hospital to it's credit extended their usual part time testing regime. We got told 24 - 48 hrs is usual country time to get a result.

If it takes 48 hrs , I might get to ski Thurs arvo and Friday, before needing another valid test. (hopefully it comes before tomorrow morning) So I really should be getting another test today, if I wanted to ski on the weekend.
Judging by the amount of traffic going past to Buller atm, I think Melbourne folks have their results already from yesterday.

I'm thinking it is going to be quicker to travel back and forth to Melbourne to be tested, which sort of defeats the purpose a bit.

Unless they change the rules to say a test is valid 7 days, like they have for staff, I think it will be close to impossible for people doing more than 2 or 3 days off mountain, unless Buller ramps up some on mountain testing.
Best of luck and hope yours comes back quickly

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Lift ticket == Acquired.
So get ready for another lockdown before next Wednesday ROFL

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
Looks like testing in Melbourne is super fast atm. Do feel for people in regional Vic who have to be tested - look at the bright side and it’s not a consolation atm but at least you got to ski most of last season compared to us Melbournians. I got tested 4pm yesterday and got the results. 9:30am today. Skiing Friday. Stay safe everyone.

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Looks like testing in Melbourne is super fast atm. Do feel for people in regional Vic who have to be tested - look at the bright side and it’s not a consolation atm but at least you got to ski most of last season compared to us Melbournians. I got tested 4pm yesterday and got the results. 9:30am today. Skiing Friday. Stay safe everyone.
For me test 9am, result 10pm.... That's very impressive

Reactions: Guthega Girl

funk99

Hard Yards
Jul 25, 2019
For those who went up yesterday and are up there today, are they doing any checks other than negative covid checks such as if you live together etc?

Jun 11, 2020
For those who went up yesterday and are up there today, are they doing any checks other than negative covid checks such as if you live together etc?
Who is they?

We have cancelled multiple accomodation bookings as the responsibility is on us (as an accom provider) and is contained within our Covid safe plan.

Reactions have been interesting - it is not our rules!! Please remember that.

We have been audited this year. This could happen again. We can’t afford the fine or to be closed for another season.

Will you pay the fine/season earnings?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass