Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

funk99

Hard Yards
Jul 25, 2019
Who is they?

We have cancelled multiple accomodation bookings as the responsibility is on us (as an accom provider) and is contained within our Covid safe plan.

Reactions have been interesting - it is not our rules!! Please remember that.

We have been audited this year. This could happen again. We can’t afford the fine or to be closed for another season.

Will you pay the fine/season earnings?
Police?

I'm likely going to travel with a member of another household tomorrow for a day trip. We're not staying in any accommodation up there.

I'm sorry to hear about your cancellations

We've both got negative tests. I just don't want to get pinged by the police for being in different households.

I've also contacted the DHS who said there's no clear rule that restricts us from doing so.

I'd expect that many other people will be wanting to travel with someone from a different household on a day trip.

We're not looking to breach any rules, we're just looking to see if there are police monitoring the entrance so if we do have to explain ourselves, I have some evidence from DHS or something.

Reactions: TOFF

Ice Bear

First Runs
Jun 8, 2021
Police?

I'm likely going to travel with a member of another household tomorrow for a day trip. We're not staying in any accommodation up there.

I'm sorry to hear about your cancellations

We've both got negative tests. I just don't want to get pinged by the police for being in different households.

I've also contacted the DHS who said there's no clear rule that restricts us from doing so.

I'd expect that many other people will be wanting to travel with someone from a different household on a day trip.

We're not looking to breach any rules, we're just looking to see if there are police monitoring the entrance so if we do have to explain ourselves, I have some evidence from DHS or something.
I would suggest hunting for information on ride sharing like Uber or Taxis.
You probably would both have to be wearing masks.
There is a bit in the current guidelines about Tours, it limits them to 10 people but I didn't see anything about private cars.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Up for a day trip today, no issues with having people from multiple households in our cars (not that I'm endorsing this of course!). Quick covid check of the negative test results from the staff on the gate, just show your text message.

Great to back at Buller after 2 years! Snow cover is great, viability poor and not a line for a single lift. Happy days
Snapchat-1918593677.jpg

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Typical Buller July day on the hill. Pea soup wind/snow/moist mix up high, but beautiful down in the valleys. Bull Run free of the usual bus sized moguls due to low traffic which is a pleasant change. Plug Hole like our one at home - half filled with bits of bush.
they loading bottom of Nth Side?

Excellent news

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Nice to be back on skis for the first time since late Feb 2020!

Similar sentiments to the reports above - bit crummy up high but great as soon as you dropped a little. Zero queues.

Bull Run ‘Cantina’ was a bit painful. Pulled up hoping for some dimmies or a beef roll/similar - ended up waiting close to 30 mins for 2x empanadas, and it wasn’t really very busy.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Nothing wrong with moguls. It's just weird skiing runs like cow camp and not being randomly and sporadically launched into the air when you lose your rhythm.

Appreciate this may not be a problem for some of you - so let he/she who hath no mogul sin cast the first stone...

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
Were the restaurants and other on mountain businesses able to staff up?

Are there any issues with capacity limits for food service, although I imagine Friday night will be first real test.

Nice to be back on skis for the first time since late Feb 2020!

Similar sentiments to the reports above - bit crummy up high but great as soon as you dropped a little. Zero queues.

Bull Run ‘Cantina’ was a bit painful. Pulled up hoping for some dimmies or a beef roll/similar - ended up waiting close to 30 mins for 2x empanadas, and it wasn’t really very busy.
we hit the Cantina on a busy Sat afternoon during school hols and were pleasantly surpised to only wait about 15 mins for empanadas, which were very good IMHO and a point of difference in food offerings on mountain. Just enough time to down a Buller X pale ale, although if one was there with you, @TOFF and @CarveMan, one would be happy to drop a couple of tequilas I imagine...... :evil:

I don't mind that they've changed it up a bit

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
Southside was pretty dusty today, maybe better early but by time i went over was just ice sheet and chunk, will be heaps better once there is some cool nights and then some snow making / more fresh.
Best runs for mine was anything near the Fox and Bonza

Mountain looks great, plenty of snow about but my god getting food and going to bathrooms with the limits to capacity is going to be innnsanne over weekend etc. Get used to a far queue ...

Reactions: Claude Cat

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
Im sure thats true . Its been 2 years for most folk.
I think its great news, think of all the businesses on the way to / back from the ski fields, they will be finally making some income. Its for sure going to put stress on mtn operations, parking, resort entry etc with the covid test element. It had been 2 and a bit years for me post ankle break day 1 season 2019 now i have 4 ski days I am stoked :)

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
we hit the Cantina on a busy Sat afternoon during school hols and were pleasantly surpised to only wait about 15 mins for empanadas, which were very good IMHO and a point of difference in food offerings on mountain. Just enough time to down a Buller X pale ale, although if one was there with you, @TOFF and @CarveMan, one would be happy to drop a couple of tequilas I imagine...... :evil:

I don't mind that they've changed it up a bit
LOL

Yep food was nice indeed - hopefully just sorting out their rhythm!

I should add - the coffee was very good and quick.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Couple of very quick trips down LBS clear highlight of the morning.
Wood run ok but bit crisp.
Summit looks lovely but windy

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Southside was pretty dusty today, maybe better early but by time i went over was just ice sheet and chunk, will be heaps better once there is some cool nights and then some snow making / more fresh.
Best runs for mine was anything near the Fox and Bonza

Mountain looks great, plenty of snow about but my god getting food and going to bathrooms with the limits to capacity is going to be innnsanne over weekend etc. Get used to a far queue ...
Do you have to book in for lunch at the dining options or just turn up and wait in a queue?

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
Do you have to book in for lunch at the dining options or just turn up and wait in a queue?
i gather in main stretch around Bourke St the off mtn places you can book any on the mtn 'food and beverage' places its going to be hectic, e.g. Tirol, has 20 or so capacity, and you have to go in the front door to use bathroom etc vs the back side where you'd usually try and duck in. Most bathrooms are also down in 'capacity' due to density limits

Reactions: nisstrust

xskiaus

First Runs
Jun 16, 2021
Do you guys know if Northside Express is picking up skiers from Chalet Creek or is the Tirol T-bar the only option to get back up the mountain?

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Great photos fixed grip,
You managed to catch my wife and I ducking into Koflers for lunch.
As usual my tip is get up early, lunch early and leave early.
First full day in Southern Hemisphere in 3 seasons due to injury and Covid
I was a little surprised not one lifty I saw was wearing a mask or even a face cover.
Mountain staff and hospitality were really good especially Koflers with Covid safe practices

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass