Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Great photos fixed grip,
You managed to catch my wife and I ducking into Koflers for lunch.
As usual my tip is get up early, lunch early and leave early.
First full day in Southern Hemisphere in 3 seasons due to injury and Covid
I was a little surprised not one lifty I saw was wearing a mask or even a face cover.
Mountain staff and hospitality were really good especially Koflers with Covid safe practices
How's your back?

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Do you guys know if Northside Express is picking up skiers from Chalet Creek or is the Tirol T-bar the only option to get back up the mountain?
Yep both options are available, used both yesterday.
last pic in my other post shows the coverage to the bottom, is excellent and crowd less.
Wait till is softens a tad and go have fun through those trees while you can, as that area is the first to go once the snow starts to melt

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Oops didn't realise Southside chair wasn't running. Went down Men's Downhill and then Rough Cut. The cover and skiing is amaze farking balls...wow.
With these conditions if you load on South side you have only done half a run

Reactions: CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
Looking for opinions, with the forecast for Sunday / Monday being crappy, would Tuesday to Thursday be a better option than Monday to Wednesday?

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Holy shit, what a day!
20210731_151646.jpg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
With these conditions if you load on South side you have only done half a run
When they built the chair for the 1990 season we spent 90/91/92 thinking it was a white elephant as there was so much snow and we just skied to the bottom.

93 was a write-off then from 94 onwards we realised it was genius.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
I really miss yurredla, rough cut, bloody hell, fall line, wood run, plug hole...just about every black run on the Southside

Gets pretty boring quickly skiing HV tbh
Blue Ribbon is open which has some fun terrain.
Gotcha is open which yes is a pain to lap that area but worth it and some of the best inbounds terrain in Aus.
Orchard is open, do the 20 min hike out to Golden point for some awesome tree skiing.
Hotham isn't so bad if you can be bothered putting a little effort in.

Reactions: nezumi

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Blue Ribbon is open which has some fun terrain.
Gotcha is open which yes is a pain to lap that area but worth it and some of the best inbounds terrain in Aus.
Orchard is open, do the 20 min hike out to Golden point for some awesome tree skiing.
Hotham isn't so bad if you can be bothered putting a little effort in.
Yeh absolutely, and I've had countless great times skiing planet hoth

TLDR, Buller is a better ski resort

-
one lift for each area

- top to bottom consistent pitch, not half length black followed by punter gully

- varied terrain (no mountain ash skiing at hotham)

- cut runs

Plus Buller was my first mountain. It will forever have my heart

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
Ended up skiing on Friday. Great day out with a lot of snow. The whole mountain could easily have been opened if they had the resources.
Other than some expected queues on Wombat's late morning (that lift seriously needs to be upgraded!) there were minimal queues. Most people we observing mask/balaclava wearing, but there were a couple including a few on the bus that were not - personally, I'm glad they are asking for Covid tests - would have to be the highest concentration people environment I have been in during Covid.
Somewhat icy conditions and it remained very firm all day with the vis. improving. Not sure what it was like on Saturday, but seemed way softer and without a freeze. Ended up trodding up the West Ridge and getting some gully/pseudo ice climbing off one of the summit gullies - several groups skiing below the summit ridge but not too far across.
Skiing Falls next week, but when there is snow and not too many people, prefer the nice long runs Buller has to offer.

IMG_1120[1].JPG
IMG_1126[1].JPG
IMG_1132[1].JPG
IMG_1152[1].JPG

IMG_1150[1].JPG

IMG_1120[1].JPG

IMG_1126[1].JPG

IMG_1132[1].JPG

IMG_1152[1].JPG

IMG_1150[1].JPG

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Ended up skiing on Friday. Great day out with a lot of snow. The whole mountain could easily have been opened if they had the resources.
Other than some expected queues on Wombat's late morning (that lift seriously needs to be upgraded!) there were minimal queues. Most people we observing mask/balaclava wearing, but there were a couple including a few on the bus that were not - personally, I'm glad they are asking for Covid tests - would have to be the highest concentration people environment I have been in during Covid.
Somewhat icy conditions and it remained very firm all day with the vis. improving. Not sure what it was like on Saturday, but seemed way softer and without a freeze. Ended up trodding up the West Ridge and getting some gully/pseudo ice climbing off one of the summit gullies - several groups skiing below the summit ridge but not too far across.
Skiing Falls next week, but when there is snow and not too many people, prefer the nice long runs Buller has to offer.

IMG_1120[1].JPG
IMG_1126[1].JPG
IMG_1132[1].JPG
IMG_1152[1].JPG

IMG_1150[1].JPG

IMG_1120[1].JPG

IMG_1126[1].JPG

IMG_1132[1].JPG

IMG_1152[1].JPG

IMG_1150[1].JPG
Fabulous pics - did you do Fannys / Fast One? I’m not up to these babies just yet. ;)

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Is the resort able to legally trim all the saplings in bull / fed bowls
As CM said, sort of
But if someone gets injured hitting one and it can be shown having shrub hazards on a ski run constitutes a liability to the lift company it could rectify, they may be a bit more proactive in doing something about it.
All we need now is someone willing to take one for the team ;-)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass