Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
So if we go into lockdown tomorrow but I’m staying at the bottom of the mountain does Stirling close the gates or can you gain entry to go touring?

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
So if we go into lockdown tomorrow but I’m staying at the bottom of the mountain does Stirling close the gates or can you gain entry to go touring?
The Age reports unconfirmed report lockdown from 8pm today....touring might be the only option anyway if anyone is already up there :)

At least it will not be dumping like last last time... :D phew!

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
That will depend on the extent of any lockdown.
This outbreak doesn't appear to have the risks to the regions the MCG and AAMI park exposure sites had, so maybe restricted to metro only.

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
But if I’m at the bottom before 8pm tonight can you gain entry to either mountain to tour ?
Wait for the announcement. If only metro you're OK. If all of Vic with 5km travel rule you can go for a hike along the river, you couldn't even drive more than 5km.....unless there's a supermarket at Stirling...

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
I enjoyed my day there last week.
Might be it :(

Hope I’m wrong

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
So glad I had a few turns last week...

This stuff is just a nightmare I feel so much for anyone trying to run a snow business with this utter BS back and forward lockdown trigger happy government
There are also clearly zero punishments for god damn NSW idiots coming in here and not playing by rules... FFS, rant over, lets hope it stays cool we go into for a week and off we go.
Sending good vibes to ppl 'stuck in Buller' without the lifts running

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne

This stuff is just a nightmare I feel so much for anyone trying to run a snow business with this utter BS back and forward lockdown trigger happy government
There are also clearly zero punishments for god damn NSW idiots coming in here and not playing by rules... FFS, rant over, lets hope it stays cool we go into for a week and off we go.
I already got more than my fair share this year....had some absolutely magic days up there. Yea feel sorry for anyone involved in snow business just punch in the head every time...

Reactions: Guthega Girl

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Question regarding Covid testing. I’m interested to know if any forum members have stayed off-mountain for more than 2 or 3 days and been retested, and if so, what was the wait time, and how long to get results when testing in Mansfield?
Got tested at 9:45 on Sunday, results back 5:00 Monday morning. Tested again Yesterday at 2:30, results back today around 1:00. Mansfield drive thru site (was) open daily from 9:30 til 3:00, but yesterday we arrived just after 2 mini buses, and one of the staff there was told to go and shut the gate immediately.

Reactions: rime noreason

skixracer

Addicted
Sep 19, 2009
Managed to get from watching the press conference, to last lift on Bull Run, to Tyrol. Not a bad way to start lockdown but devastated we’re here again. We were supposed to be up a couple of weeks but we don’t have any touring stuff and are living in a lodge. So, will probably head home on Saturday.

B7144AF4-17CD-4CFD-9566-950410F7B83B.jpeg

7F376DF0-CA1C-45CC-B7FA-0E42834D914C.jpeg

7552D8D1-0C7A-4BCD-AC81-58F62C948E54.jpeg

bugeater

One of Us
Sep 20, 2017
Spent a solid 6+ hours out there today. Very foggy almost all day. I know my way around so not an issue for me, but would be hard if you weren't familiar with the place. Virtually no wait for any of the lifts all day as well. Had a tiny bit of drizzle now and then and the googles got a bit wet, but it wasn't too bad.

Decided I'd work on my snowboarding and really wasn't feeling it for the first few hours. But by the end I seemed to find my mojo and actually stayed a lot later than expected. Only found out about lockdown once I hit Mansfield on the way home. Hopefully it's for only a week...

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
FFS. Lockdown is at 8 pm...
Family with tired and hungry kids left melbourne before the 4:15pm announcement, had a bit of a nightmare trip up with a couple of stops, gets to Buller at 8:05 and you'd turn them around?

For someone who works on the mountain for whom guests are the only reason your job exists, you post a hell of a lot of anti-guest crap on these forums. I'd suggest you take a good look in the mirror and re-evaluate your pathetic pitchfork attitude.

EDIT: oh and the car would be full of proven Covid negatives with a test to prove it.

Last edited:

Buller Boy

First Runs
Jul 17, 2021
Meanwhile, I have a look at the cams just now and think geeze its quite mid-week, i must get up mid-week more often.....:headbang:

Excelerator

Early Days
Jun 8, 2021
What do you think the Government should do differently?
everything - stop trying to run our lives ! We all got Covid tests to come up this weekend so technically everybody entering the resort from Melbourne would be Covid Free. The Gov wastes peoples time and spends millions on testing an then stops everyone from going and shuts down the hill. Its mass incompetence - they make up rules on the run and could not give a shit about anyones business, let alone alpine business that can only make their money in 3 months of the year.

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
Lovely soft run down Sun Valley in the dusk...nice bumps, forgiving snow. Skin out was good for the soul...

My 10c worth - wish the regions weren't in this.

Can't wait for it to open for all soon. Lots of snow will still be here.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Light drizzle when we wandered out for a coffee at 930.

Planning to jump on the show shoes and do Koflers, Family, Zwiers, LBS, Whiskey, past Bull Run and out Standard.

‘Planning’…

Reactions: CarveMan

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Test Saturday.. results sun . Maybe Monday. Lasts 3 days. Ski Monday. And Tues.Test Tuesday arvo.. Result late wed. Thurs.. lasts 72 hours.
Thanks @wolly @Mountain goat And @jgm. A non-issue now with #lockdownlyf again, trip cancelled:cry: but it seems on mountain testing is only for staff and longer term visitors, ie people staying on mountain for minimum 7 days. I’d have to get tested in Mansfield.

The problem with that plan @wolly, had the trip gone ahead, I’d have to stop skiing around midday on that Tuesday to ensure I make it in time and hope there’s no busloads ahead of me as @jgm posted. No season pass for the first time in awhile so Gate entry/lift tix costs for a 3 hour ski, I’d have to pass on skiing that day too

Then wait one or two days for results to return either Wednesday or Thursday. So I’ d only get to ski 2 or at best 3 days of my planned 5, the rest would paying for accommodation while I wait.

If lockdown extends, and past experience says it will, I may get another chance to head up before our short season ends but if tests are still required, I’ll just do that in Melbourne beforehand and have to reduce the trip to only 2 days. At least I’d get to ski both days without having to waste time and money repeating a test and waiting for results in the middle of a ski trip after just having done a test 3 days earlier. :confused:

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Light drizzle when we wandered out for a coffee at 930.

Planning to jump on the show shoes and do Koflers, Family, Zwiers, LBS, Whiskey, past Bull Run and out Standard.

‘Planning’…
Did you have any turns?

Are you allowed to ski down village to hh car park, have designated driver collect and repeat?

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Did you have any turns?

Are you allowed to ski down village to hh car park, have designated driver collect and repeat?
Nah just did a nice loop on the snow shoes.

Plenty out skinning, but I’m not sure what the powers that be would think about self shuttling.

Reactions: TOFF

benzerknees

Addicted
Oct 16, 2010
Then wait one or two days for results to return either Wednesday or Thursday. So I’ d only get to ski 2 or at best 3 days of my planned 5, the rest would paying for accommodation while I wait.
The other week, at Mansfield, my first test took 40 hrs to return. (just when we had come out of the last lockdown with the new testing rules.)

After a couple of days, Mansfield hospital had set up a drive through clinic at the showgrounds, which you probably know about. I waited zero minutes on a Saturday about lunchtime, and had a result by about 6am the next day. (All the tests go off to Wangaratta at the 3:30 close time and then to Melbourne..so I was told.)

If you wanted to stay a mid-week, and when you need the next test for the next day's skiing you could line up early, before the 9:30 clinic opening, get tested and then drive up the hill.
Hopefully the test is back the next day like mine.

You may still be up the mountain by a little after 10:30. Which is OK, because if I start at 10:30 these days, I still don't make it to 4:30 last runs. I think it's called aging.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Did you have any turns?

A few guys from the lodge just got back from skiing Village - “heavy but fun” the report.

Alternating light snow and rain the last hour or so - mainly the less preferable format.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Great weather and views today. Very crispy snow early as you might expect.
IMG_20210808_103409.jpg

IMG_20210808_103329_edit_131416874379425.jpg
Bloody good pics, snow (cover), effort?

Can I ask you how you find dragging the E100s up the hill?

I have 104s for tele. Damn fine ski on lifts. Heavy going climbing Japanese powder.

Perhaps nice, light boots and binders, rights skins? would change the equation? Cheers. :cool::thumbs:

• Wow
Reactions: CarveMan

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com

It's a real kick in the guts, especially when they're safely skiing over the border with hundreds of cases in other parts of the state every day, and all our guests are tested before entry. You would think we'd be the safest place in the country right now yet we're shut down.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It's a real kick in the guts, especially when they're safely skiing over the border with hundreds of cases in other parts of the state every day, and all our guests are tested before entry. You would think we'd be the safest place in the country right now yet we're shut down.
Welcome to Danistan. Where Karens have the floor and businesses can get fcukt.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
The irony of the 72 hr testing requirement is that while it is claimed to be in place to preserve the ski industry, that in itself greatly reduces the visitor numbers during the brief windows out of lockdowns, Such that any chance of the resorts making up for losses during those brief periods is suppressed by the testing rules and the end result of that may be the causation of the Vic ski industry collapsing.
Their 72 hr medicine is killing the patient.
Aside from it making no sense to require it for anyone going for the day only and not even being indoors for the duration of their stay,
There is more distance maintained by day trippers than anywhere in Melb metro area.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It sucks! The whole thing. And Viccos did the hard yards twice in the last 3 months!

Bit off topic Dave but since you mentioned it: I don’t get how busy the NSW skifields are when you think that in theory ~ 75% of their market is in LD. Or is it?

I think it’s almost incredible that seeding has not been detected south of Illawarra? But has in NE Vic. :oops:

I digress, Just feeling jealous on Day #1 of my rebooked non-ski break. :mad:

My thoughts extend to all the Buller people and everyone in LD.
(Xing fingers for Thursday!)

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com
It sucks! The whole thing. And Viccos did the hard yards twice in the last 3 months!

Bit off topic Dave but since you mentioned it: I don’t get how busy the NSW skifields are when you think that in theory ~ 75% of their market is in LD. Or is it?

I think it’s almost incredible that seeding has not been detected south of Illawarra? But has in NE Vic. :oops:

I digress, Just feeling jealous on Day #1 of my rebooked non-ski break. :mad:

My thoughts extend to all the Buller people and everyone in LD.
(Xing fingers for Thursday!)
I think you'll find they're not that busy

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I get that it's tough. I just think it's not really worth comparing the Melbourne-Buller situation to the Sydney-Jindy situation. Hoping you guys get some regional relief as soon as possible, bit tough after the MCG-Mildura example so recently

1628403564782.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass