Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Buller still running almost all lifts. Meanwhile at hotham, only HV running

Sounds poor given people's lockdown situation, but not that excited about more laps on the same runs

Has Tirol and fed been ruined by the rain?

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Wouldn't have thought so. Didn't get eyes on either due to the fog but the rest of the mountain was okay. Southside also opened today at last which enabled my son to tick the last unridden lift off his list. Men's Downhill was groomed and was in reasonable shape. Bull run bowl was soft and therefore fun. Looked like they'd had the guns going pretty hard on Wombat and LBS.

Pretty quiet on the whole although a lot of red and blue smurfs skiing today.

Reactions: DbSki and kasper

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
We had a really fun day skiing Buller yesterday! Last skied there in 2017 on a mid-week powder day and only south side was open and we spent all day day skiing tree stashes. That wasn't an option in yesterday's conditions, yesterday was a day of trying to work out the rest of the socked in mountain by braille with an occasional glimpse of where we'd been or where we needed to be. Early laps down Little Buller Spur were a fantastic warmup for our first ski in 2 years. We got on the lift behind a couple about our age who had smiled hello earlier and were really good skiers. I said to +1, let's follow them, they obviously know the mountain. Well, we followed them from the chair all the way straight to the toilet door at Koflers :doh:ROFL

Anyways, I think we covered a lot of the mountain - explored wombat area, then summit opened, then down to Grimus chair, then across to some north side runs. By then it was softening really nicely and cloud was lifting and falling. Worst run for the day (for us) was Dam run, it was TOO soft by the time we got there and those bumps that Buller seems to love were getting almost waist deep in a couple of places. We wandered back over to south side and by then Southside was actually running so we spent the rest of the afternoon exploring that area. Really good fun.

Dropped in to say g'day to old mate Harro in the gallery, then ran into a friend from Kyenton, then ran into a friend from Tolmie. Hadn't seen all these people in years. If the school kids hadn't been there I reckon there would have been about 200 people on the mountain max! thanks Buller, we'll be back. Might try and coordinate the next storm.

Oh, and we were super happy to support local business with an amazing brunch at Snow Pony. Seriously good food.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
On this day 2016 - I take a little pie with my cream.

6389C1C7-CE6C-4C2D-A8E4-850D8068AC2D.jpeg

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com
Heads' up due to the extended metro Melbourne lockdown and the corresponding reduction in visitation, from Monday we're going to be closing Northside Express, Tirol, Bonza, and Iron Maiden until metro gets out. Also last twilight skiing will be next Sat 21/8 and Ski & Snowboard school classes will be AM except privates.

Still looking forward to operating into October and welcoming Melbourne back to the slopes again in 2021. It's such a rad vibe up here, but we're missing everyone in lockdown - can't wait to see you back ASAP!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
Did anyone hear anything about regional Vic going back into lockdown in that press conference? I have someone who swears they heard we are about to shut lifts again. But I didn’t hear that

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
No wonder, Jane Bunn said only 2 of the past 26 August's have been below average temperatures (Melbourne)

This year feels like august 2013
A bit sad the warming, so hard for smaller hills to hold their cover.
But, Great to hear Buller may still be waiting for us Townies to arrive, late season? :cool:

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
on a knife edge regionally,
Heres a first hand sample of leakage out of Melbourne,
A boutique hotel owner at Daylesford turned away 30 people from Melbourne trying to enter " just his premises" , and that count does not include those that refused to show i.d.

• Angry
Reactions: sastrugi

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Im really happy for the resorts and country folk who get to visit.
Hopefully still being open gives you all joy (emotional and financial)

tough to imagine us city folk will be back this year for a ski...........might need to consider that bike riding thing.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Such a good idea. I love it. It would be even better if they would run Bull Run chair til 6pm so we could have apres there on a nice day
You're right there. Obviously it's difficult times with the covid restrictions etc but the hospitality stuff doesn't seem very nimble to cater for demand. The squad kids all had a race day yesterday and the presentation was on the snow near ABOM at 3pm. There's a caravan selling beers and South Melbourne dimmys which is virtually deserted all day but located right on that spot. They had a captive market of thirsty parents standing literally right next to the caravan and they shut up shop during the presentation! We all turned round to get a beer at 315pm when the presentation was done and they'd closed up! I reckon they'd have sold more in that next half hour than the rest of the day combined...

That said, in the context of Buller prices $2.50 for a massive south melbourne dim sim has to be some of the best value food on the mountain, no? I applaud them for that at least!

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
You're right there. Obviously it's difficult times with the covid restrictions etc but the hospitality stuff doesn't seem very nimble to cater for demand. The squad kids all had a race day yesterday and the presentation was on the snow near ABOM at 3pm. There's a caravan selling beers and South Melbourne dimmys which is virtually deserted all day but located right on that spot. They had a captive market of thirsty parents standing literally right next to the caravan and they shut up shop during the presentation! We all turned round to get a beer at 315pm when the presentation was done and they'd closed up! I reckon they'd have sold more in that next half hour than the rest of the day combined...

That said, in the context of Buller prices $2.50 for a massive south melbourne dim sim has to be some of the best value food on the mountain, no? I applaud them for that at least!
After a few drinks at Tirol I lament how it's a lost opportunity.....could be like St Anton.....loud europop outside, big german beers, dancing on tables from 3-6pm. No serious investment needed. Just a change in attitude.

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Such a good idea. I love it. It would be even better if they would run Bull Run chair til 6pm so we could have apres there on a nice day
Also would be better if they accepted credit cards (unless they were just broken the day we were there.)

Reactions: Alexg1687
After a few drinks at Tirol I lament how it's a lost opportunity.....could be like St Anton.....loud europop outside, big german beers, dancing on tables from 3-6pm. No serious investment needed. Just a change in attitude.
I've been at Tirol on more than one occasion when Monica and crew got the schnapps flowing late on a Sat afternoon and it extended till last light. It would be great to see this happen every week, however the worry would be losing fully juiced folks on that "short" trip to the Village........

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
I've been at Tirol on more than one occasion when Monica and crew got the schnapps flowing late on a Sat afternoon and it extended till last light. It would be great to see this happen every week, however the worry would be losing fully juiced folks on that "short" trip to the Village........
Mmmm schnapps at Tirol followed by an afternoon ski. Good times

I remember driving up on a Thursday night, dead quiet. Halfway up the road a drunk straggler was making his way down. Cops said they see it all the time

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
I spent too much time in 'The Rona' section lately and it's good to be reminded that this website is a Snow forum first and foremost - this picture is a good start.

Sadly it has been more than 2 years since I last ski down Slalom Gully / Fast One / Summit Slide / LBS etc. Next year, I would not even complain if there is an hour long wait at the bottom of Wombat/Howqua/Grimus ;)

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Lovely day in Melbourne.
Might summer wax skis
Not happy having to do that in mid August

I really did enjoy my 1 day skiing this year.

Reactions: travelislife
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass