Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
They're not sniffing hard enough yet, i've just about worn out my refresh button :(
C'mon, let covid-free regional out!
And hopefully Shepp is only the Shepp shire and not covid-free surrounding shires...
Still not keen to pack up the ski gear for the season yet....

Reactions: Alexg1687

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I have a photo of Nick Cave sliding down the toboggan run in his shiny suit pants, leather jacket and truckers cap... he was trying desperately to be cool and not slide down but he was failing spectacularly :D

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
lots of snow farming around top of bull and skyline today
wood run skied better than elsewhere - like skiing on honey today - STICKY

Reactions: blueandwhite

zzaaarp

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2006
Melbourne
Snowfactory pumping it out on the toboggan run. Just saying.
1631062754377.png

Still going. Hard to see what the angle is, other than because it's there and because they can. Show's over guys... spring has sprung. Let's save the kilowatts and come back for a fully vaxxed epic 2022.

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
1631062754377.png

Still going. Hard to see what the angle is, other than because it's there and because they can. Show's over guys... spring has sprung. Let's save the kilowatts and come back for a fully vaxxed epic 2022.
That toboggan slope gets absolutely smashed this time of year. Would be better to put deck chairs on it and a bar at the bottom.

Reactions: blueandwhite

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Great news that regional lockdown has been lifted for Friday. Hopefully those in regional get a chance to have a slide before season's end. Lots of snow farming going on around the resort when we went up top today. Looks like Koflers T-bar is going to be part of the action, which is weird as it's only run once this season I think!

Great spring weather again today.
IMG_20210908_095201.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Yep it's been super fun. So good to see a few regional folks who've made the effort. Hard for the full experience with only 10 people allowed in F&B venues but on the slopes it's all smiles, especially the kids.
Everyone's been covid tested ;
That 10 person rule is dumb and ignorant and does not take into account venue size or the testing regime in place .

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hard to directly derive but a massive exodus from Melb city has already occurred
Cities aren’t so fun anymore - what made them so full of life and vitality now makes them a liability and possibly dour for now. It might revert back slowly post vaccine?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I'm sure it will it has to. Just a matter of how much
And how fast? Funny thing our needs change as we do, kids do, leave? Folks mostly move well after they need/want to? Endless catching up? Funny world eh? Enjoy the snow!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hey we have bought at Noosa for escape plan B ;)
Cool, hopefully be allowed to travel to and fro soon.

I guess that’s one advantage being a rent-for-lifer, one less impediment to shift locales. Not sure rents are considered affordable in Noosa? Might need a dorm suburb inland? ;):rolleyes:

Reactions: skimax
:woohoo: I just got a $2600 payout from an Airbnb booking from July 2018!! We were still living in Vancouver and the guy was a complete twat - he must have tried to dispute it and because it was right around the time we were heading home, I mustn't have realised. I thought it was some sort of scam to start with when I saw the email and then I checked online in my Airbnb account and then my bank and sure enough the funds are there.

Let's get on the beers at Grimus! Oh wait................

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
You and everyone else
Have to say I’d miss experiencing seasons up in QLD, plus I’m not a heat lover.

Apart from the costs of moving, post Covid, I think I’d miss the opportunity to load the skis in the car and head off to Buller, Stirling, Lake Mtn or Buller for a rushed daytrip, or further afield for a weekend.

Requiring a plane flight for most ski trips could get a little tiresome, at least until my knees have totally karked it? But then water sports would replace the snow, eventually? ;)

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Have to say I’d miss experiencing seasons up in QLD, plus I’m not a heat lover.

Apart from the costs of moving, post Covid, I think I’d miss the opportunity to load the skis in the car and head off to Buller, Stirling, Lake Mtn or Buller for a rushed daytrip, or further afield for a weekend.

Requiring a plane flight for most ski trips could get a little tiresome, at least until my knees have totally karked it? But then water sports would replace the snow, eventually? ;)
The number of clients that I have had sell up and buy in Noosa and surrounds in the last 3 years is huge

Reactions: CarveMan

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The number of clients that I have had sell up and buy in Noosa and surrounds in the last 3 years is huge
Apologies in advance, this is sliding away from a Buller resort perspective and digressing into a nation outlook. ;)

I guess a lot of city folks have either been forced or are choosing to retire during this pandemic (or have done so pre Covid) and Understandably, many relish the idea of warm winters and almost year-round swimming and BBQs.

I’d imagine the average house price is pushing pretty high now in Noosa and the greater SEQ area, and may be even more expensive than the Melbourne average in more deireable water-front suburbs?

I could perhaps argue that for those renters remaining, mass movement by retirees to from the big smoke to Qld/SurfCoast/BassCoast/Byron etc… might make it easier to get a foot into the red-hot housing market if they sell their town house? Since price is chiefly a supply and demand scenario?

From a National planning Perspective, it’s tantamount to madness to have hundreds of thousands+ of retirees holding property in easily-commutable suburbs in our big cities, while young (and some of us not so?) workers struggle to live close enough to work.

On the flip side, seaside resorts along the south & east coast coasts of Australia are seeing near 0% rental vacancies, and the loss of young workers, would live anywhere near their jobs.

This leads to me think our collective governments, of all colours, are failing us and we need intervention soon. When services in resorts start closing from a lack of staff, maybe then they’ll be more attention by its residents?

That debate obviously started long ago in cities, with little evidence of any real (rental /mortgage affordability) solution starting, current measures do little to help and are too small to assist many.

Time to move to a 1-bed flat on Buller, WFH most days and commute to Melbourne CBD infrequently- on demand? :) (Guaranteed XC/BC snow access in future lockdowns!).:cool::thumbs:

Reactions: skimax and CarveMan

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yes that's a huge problem and will become massively worse as they try to raise revenue on a declining tax base.

Not doing we should follow suit but we’re one of the few countries with no death duties. And we seem pretty keen on family trusts - I cant speak first hand - our mattress is empty.

But it’s clear we’ve gone beyond just trimming the odd dept. & program here and there, esp with fancy new subs and F35s, a bigger ADF, we need new ways of raising revenue to avoid going further into debt.

We all hate tax - but we love all the help it provides - such as this pandemic.

Is it a higher GST, paused tax cuts, reduced CGT discount & NG, death taxes or something new?

Reactions: Sadie

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Not doing we should follow suit but we’re one of the few countries with no death duties. And we seem pretty keen on family trusts - I cant speak first hand - our mattress is empty.

But it’s clear we’ve gone beyond just trimming the odd dept. & program here and there, esp with fancy new subs and F35s, a bigger ADF, we need new ways of raising revenue to avoid going further into debt.

We all hate tax - but we love all the help it provides - such as this pandemic.

Is it a higher GST, paused tax cuts, reduced CGT discount & NG, death taxes or something new?
They will go for the cheap shots first .. eg cigs , beer , but they have run out of room now on stamp duty ( thats the golden goose) , few more asset sales pending ( eg Vehicle Licensing, Land Titles ( in some states) , ) , the big move in future will be taxing the grid ( eg as we move away from fossil fuels, to definately km based car registration and indirect fuel excise) , to further taxes on capital gains/super . The elephant in the room is negative gearing , the cocaine of Australian Society even though its killing ( indirectly ) national productivity. So look out for any new indirect taxes that weasel away at this without actually removing the headline tax benefit.. I think those new Nuclear ( pronounced noocular) submarines are likely to be negatively geared ;)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Thats a big drop - no doubt showing the exodus of folks interstate but also overseas - post the Vic LD.

I’m not downplaying the gravity of this change, if it continued it will affect many areas of the economy - potentially severely in some industries.

The data goes to 31 March 21 - so before the latest (long) NSW LD. I wouldn’t wish the downturn on any state but it may be that the next 6-12 months are less rosy for NSW, especially Sydney - I’ve read that end of Aug 21’, worked hours are down 12% post March 20’ in NSW. It’s down 3% for Vic.

A couple of throw away lines - depopulation can be viewed as good or bad depending on ones viewpoint,

- Its a terrible time for hospitality venues et al. trying to attract staff.

- Clearly a shocking time for many trades and those who can’t WFH.

- Conversely, there’s a lot of folks who were lamenting the congestion in inner suburbs and (like our scenario) - the lack of affordable housing (rentals) near work. Vacancies in Melbourne and Sydney have improved a little (from ~1% to ~ 3-4%) during Covid. There’s some reports of inner city/suburban units sitting vacant for months awaiting students in particular. (Small units you’d assume?)

- Here in Glen Eira 12-20k. SE of Melboune, there’s normally a big student population, with 2 Monash campuses nearby, plus good access to the CBD. (UOM, RMIT). So the loss of students seems to explain in part the apparent increase in properties to lease in our local streets. There’s certainly more ‘for lease’ signs and empty houses locally. This also helps to explain the loss of staff at cafes etc…

It’s hard to know what will happen in the short term. I suspect Vic/Mel with repopulate somewhat when the international borders open and student arrive - especially here in Commuting suburbs.

As for folks selling up from Vic and heading to Qld. I have no doubts this is accelerating. But it’s been happening for some decades now. I have close friends discussing a future retirement in sunny QLD and my extended family have at least 5 other family units now living throughout the same. Many have been there for decades from middle-age.

So the picture is quite nuanced. Fair to say There’s a lot more pain before the recovery. I’m glad I’m not balancing State or Federal books - although WA looks ‘OK for now - opening up may change things?

I still believe Aussie needs a Job-keeper light for some business types for the next financial year - joint state-Fed arrangement. The way our politicians currently squabble and blame shift, that’s unlikely.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
More snow.
So does anyone need a tree stump removed at Mt Buller ?

I did one the other day out at Taradale near Malmsbury.
Didn't see any ring of donuts on the way out there.

Was a nice day to get out of town.
Nice view on the job too and a good earner.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
More snow.
So does anyone need a tree stump removed at Mt Buller ?

I did one the other day out at Taradale near Malmsbury.
Didn't see any ring of donuts on the way out there.

Was a nice day to get out of town.
Nice view on the job too and a good earner.
Mate so much broken tree debris about the back of our place from the big storm, and the rest of the village of course. If you’ve got a chipper I bet you could get a ton of work up here cleaning it all up. Probably not until after the snow though….

This is just a tiny bit of it

389A4BAB-E3BA-4309-A87D-96561B539804.jpeg

Reactions: MickM

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Mate so much broken tree debris about the back of our place from the big storm, and the rest of the village of course. If you’ve got a chipper I bet you could get a ton of work up here cleaning it all up. Probably not until after the snow though….
Yep, got one of those and a truck to use.
Problem is its sitting at a town just over the NSW side of the border, (Finlay)
A mate owns it, doesn't use it much at all and when I started the stump business he decided Id have more chance of getting work down here with the chipper so said come and grab it but lockdown came into effect and that stalled.
I need to organise him to bring it to the border and find some way of either crossing over the get it or him crossing the bridge to hand it over to me.
Have to see how things go with Vic / NSW border.

Its this one

Probably a few places along the way up there that still have a pile of branches from the storms.
After the storms I was doing some work for a insurance co tree crew that had come down from NSW doing clearing, I was doing the stumps from the blow downs and took weeks to clear it and that was just around Melb.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yep, got one of those and a truck to use.
Problem is its sitting at a town just over the NSW side of the border, (Finlay)
A mate owns it, doesn't use it much at all and when I started the stump business he decided Id have more chance of getting work down here with the chipper so said come and grab it but lockdown came into effect and that stalled.
I need to organise him to bring it to the border and find some way of either crossing over the get it or him crossing the bridge to hand it over to me.
Have to see how things go with Vic / NSW border.

Its this one

Probably a few places along the way up there that still have a pile of branches from the storms.
After the storms I was doing some work for a insurance co tree crew that had come down from NSW doing clearing, I was doing the stumps from the blow downs and took weeks to clear it and that was just around Melb.
OK let’s keep in touch cos my apartment building has some overhanging trees that need to get removed for fire reasons, quite a few of them came down in the storm but there’s still a lot here.

RMB has a designated fire cleanup weekend in November that we were targeting and using their arborists but I’ve heard that they are quite expensive so would prefer to sling the work your way if we can make it happen and get the truck in from NSW etc.

Reactions: DbSki

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Thats a big drop - no doubt showing the exodus of folks interstate but also overseas - post the Vic LD.

I’m not downplaying the gravity of this change, if it continued it will affect many areas of the economy - potentially severely in some industries.

The data goes to 31 March 21 - so before the latest (long) NSW LD. I wouldn’t wish the downturn on any state but it may be that the next 6-12 months are less rosy for NSW, especially Sydney - I’ve read that end of Aug 21’, worked hours are down 12% post March 20’ in NSW. It’s down 3% for Vic.

A couple of throw away lines - depopulation can be viewed as good or bad depending on ones viewpoint,

- Its a terrible time for hospitality venues et al. trying to attract staff.

- Clearly a shocking time for many trades and those who can’t WFH.

- Conversely, there’s a lot of folks who were lamenting the congestion in inner suburbs and (like our scenario) - the lack of affordable housing (rentals) near work. Vacancies in Melbourne and Sydney have improved a little (from ~1% to ~ 3-4%) during Covid. There’s some reports of inner city/suburban units sitting vacant for months awaiting students in particular. (Small units you’d assume?)

- Here in Glen Eira 12-20k. SE of Melboune, there’s normally a big student population, with 2 Monash campuses nearby, plus good access to the CBD. (UOM, RMIT). So the loss of students seems to explain in part the apparent increase in properties to lease in our local streets. There’s certainly more ‘for lease’ signs and empty houses locally. This also helps to explain the loss of staff at cafes etc…

It’s hard to know what will happen in the short term. I suspect Vic/Mel with repopulate somewhat when the international borders open and student arrive - especially here in Commuting suburbs.

As for folks selling up from Vic and heading to Qld. I have no doubts this is accelerating. But it’s been happening for some decades now. I have close friends discussing a future retirement in sunny QLD and my extended family have at least 5 other family units now living throughout the same. Many have been there for decades from middle-age.

So the picture is quite nuanced. Fair to say There’s a lot more pain before the recovery. I’m glad I’m not balancing State or Federal books - although WA looks ‘OK for now - opening up may change things?

I still believe Aussie needs a Job-keeper light for some business types for the next financial year - joint state-Fed arrangement. The way our politicians currently squabble and blame shift, that’s unlikely.
it will be about another 150k in 18 months. The other big impact is loss of state revenue

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Looking at the cams the snowmaking on Standard is paying off in spades.
Yep it’s a revelation. They will be wondering why they didn’t do it 20 years ago.

Faces SSE so doesn’t get the hot west afternoon sun, it’s not that wide and the trees are relatively high on the sides so provide some shade, it requires far less water than LBS/Wombat, and the more durable snowmaking snow coupled with some earthworks have stopped the perennial problem of the top and bottom corners blowing out.

It’s still not the best run, but when you live on top of it and are now pretty much guaranteed ski-in-ski-out for a good chunk of the season, I’ll take it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass