Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Yep it’s a revelation. They will be wondering why they didn’t do it 20 years ago.

Faces SSE so doesn’t get the hot west afternoon sun, it’s not that wide and the trees are relatively high on the sides so provide some shade, it requires far less water than LBS/Wombat, and the more durable snowmaking snow coupled with some earthworks have stopped the perennial problem of the top and bottom corners blowing out.

It’s still not the best run, but when you live on top of it and are now pretty much guaranteed ski-in-ski-out for a good chunk of the season, I’ll take it.
yes that bottom corner was sponsored by the association of ski base repairers a few years back . A few choice rocks used to be in there.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
yes that bottom corner was sponsored by the association of ski base repairers a few years back . A few choice rocks used to be in there.

Oh yes - my worst ever base damage occurred on that corner. Sickening sound - didn’t even bother looking til the load.

E08095C0-EB7A-405F-8A73-6078B021F402.jpeg

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
it will be about another 150k in 18 months. The other big impact is loss of state revenue

And now construction shut down there are not just builders, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, plasterers, concreters, brick layers, riggers etc out of work there is timber yards and mills, cement works, plumbing and electrical suppliers, concrete and building supply truck drivers, Bunnings, lunch shops, coffee shops etc that suffer losses too.
That's going to cut a huge slice out of the local economy and tax inputs.

Reactions: skimax

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yep it’s a revelation. They will be wondering why they didn’t do it 20 years ago.

Faces SSE so doesn’t get the hot west afternoon sun, it’s not that wide and the trees are relatively high on the sides so provide some shade, it requires far less water than LBS/Wombat, and the more durable snowmaking snow coupled with some earthworks have stopped the perennial problem of the top and bottom corners blowing out.

It’s still not the best run, but when you live on top of it and are now pretty much guaranteed ski-in-ski-out for a good chunk of the season, I’ll take it.

While I agree BSL have done much to upgrade the ski experience in recent years, there’s room for so much more If budget ever permits?

Copying the Thredbo book of snowgum planting and the Scottish ski-hill habit of wide-scale snow fencing, BSL could IMO, improve snow retention on sunny/windy-snow days respectively.

Modern Buller is too open to cope with average snow coverage these days. Better tree planting and patience (trees may take a decade or two) will reap rewards in areas where wind and sun frequently pummel snow packs.

These retaining devices would help when making snow too - it would be interesting to know of ‘snowmaking-waste’ estimations (%) in windy conditions - say up highish on LBS, Summit, Abom, Howqua access, and even the future Grimus chair and SM areas.

A nice long-term summer project? Rope in a climatologist to guide engineering?

Reactions: hongomania

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
If you watch Bourke St Live camera today, you can see the lifts stop spinning around 09:15:50 and then the camera shook shortly after that. Hope everyone's OK up there

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Standard cam footage shows how big the tremor was. Around 09:16:00.
You see skiers/boarders getting confused as they slid down.

Reactions: Chaeron

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Our building swayed pretty crazily. Given that we're essentially a concrete building perched on stumps and we live on the ground floor we were more than a bit worried.

However, I think the quake may have done some liquefaction on the snow as it honestly may be the worst I've ever skied. Utter treacle!

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Yeah, two flashes. What was that?
It's called "Earthquake Lights", and comes in many different forms. The below ground grinding of the imminent quake causes a static buildup in certain types of rock - eg, Buller's granite - which discharges marginally ahead of the actual quake. In this case it seemed to manifest as "sheet lightning".

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just a heads up that my Avenue webcam will likely be offline for summer. (@Richard will ping when I take it down)

I've just received confirmation that my Starlink dish is incoming but due to it using CGNAT it means that there will be a bit of tech finagling to get it working again as my current DDNS solution will no longer work

@Any has already sorted this out for a lodge at Hotham, and as I suspected he used a Raspberry Pi and a cheap cloud server to get it going. I've already got a Pi up here in anticipation but have done zero config yet.

Hope you have been enjoying!

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Just a heads up that my Avenue webcam will likely be offline for summer. (@Richard will ping when I take it down)

I've just received confirmation that my Starlink dish is incoming but due to it using CGNAT it means that there will be a bit of tech finagling to get it working again as my current DDNS solution will no longer work

@Any has already sorted this out for a lodge at Hotham, and as I suspected he used a Raspberry Pi and a cheap cloud server to get it going. I've already got a Pi up here in anticipation but have done zero config yet.

Awesome camera for the night views. The amount of snow was amazing at times this year. Pity I didn't make it up again. Hoping for a good go at it next year before age starts catching up!!

Excellent work and appreciated from afar.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

gimmie a yell if you want a hand setting it up
raspberry pi anywhere on the network + small vps (i use vultr a lot lately)

Reactions: CarveMan

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Awesome camera for the night views. The amount of snow was amazing at times this year. Pity I didn't make it up again. Hoping for a good go at it next year before age starts catching up!!

Excellent work and appreciated from afar.

"Before age starts catching up" Man, whatever happened to ski until you die!

Reactions: MickM

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
"Before age starts catching up" Man, whatever happened to ski until you die!
Yeah for sure. Just bummed that I haven't skied for 2 years and I was just starting to really enjoy the bumps on wood run etc. Soon to be 56 and knees still feeling good, so a few years yet hopefully!

I really struggled 3years ago with my skiing mentally. As I mostly ski by myself (most mates not interested any more) I became so bored just skiing the usual Summit, Buller Spur & the odd black run. It was so bad I was almost in this depressing state with no motivation or will to push myself. Was probably at the crossroads of giving it away.

Anyway, one day I snapped out of it and decided I would push myself to ski 90% of the time on the Buller blacks to stop the boredom. It almost killed me but the challenge renewed my energy. At the same time one of my friends decided to get into skiing so he is always keen to get up for a ski (wife doesn't ski at all).

Hopefully some clear air next season, very keen now with rested knees!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yeah for sure. Just bummed that I haven't skied for 2 years and I was just starting to really enjoy the bumps on wood run etc. Soon to be 56 and knees still feeling good, so a few years yet hopefully!

I really struggled 3years ago with my skiing mentally. As I mostly ski by myself (most mates not interested any more) I became so bored just skiing the usual Summit, Buller Spur & the odd black run. It was so bad I was almost in this depressing state with no motivation or will to push myself. Was probably at the crossroads of giving it away.

Anyway, one day I snapped out of it and decided I would push myself to ski 90% of the time on the Buller blacks to stop the boredom. It almost killed me but the challenge renewed my energy. At the same time one of my friends decided to get into skiing so he is always keen to get up for a ski (wife doesn't ski at all).

Hopefully some clear air next season, very keen now with rested knees!
Spend summer on a bike!

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Looks like the Bourke Street Groomer drivers are working after the visit to the pub tonight.. :eek:. Maybe the park guys found the keys.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Seems it has a special filter on that cam, not snowing at village level. :(

8mm yesterday (no much in lifting hours), 3.0mm so far today (since midnight).

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Seems it has a special filter on that cam, not snowing at village level. :(

8mm yesterday (no much in lifting hours), 3.0mm so far today (since midnight).
Saw it on Little Buller too. Prob same camera setup. I notice they work well at night, almost infra red!

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Expect it is the sun (brighter sky) shining through the droplets, driving the sensor into clipping. As those camears are both pointing towards the north (sun).

Last edited:

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
Has anyone got the email for season pass refunds? I didn’t get it and can’t see a link in my Buller account. And am I reading it right- $950 for next years season pass?

andrewn

Hard Yards
Oct 2, 2017
Has anyone got the email for season pass refunds? I didn’t get it and can’t see a link in my Buller account. And am I reading it right- $950 for next years season pass?
I got an email last week (29/9) with a link to a form to request a refund.

Reactions: Jarryboy

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
Thank you for being part of our 2021 Season Membership family this winter.

We are sorry you were unable to enjoy your membership benefits as much as you might have hoped this year. Under the Buller Ski Lifts’ 2021 Season Membership terms and conditions, you are eligible to apply for a proportional credit or refund of the purchase price, based on the days the membership was used. You can check membership usage here in the eStore.

You MUST APPLY before 31 October, 2021 to receive a credit or refund.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass