Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
AFAIK no wind related issues or water issues here, plenty of cars in the village (mostly trades etc) ex Mansfield this morning, so expect the road is fine.

Reactions: FixedGrip

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Yet in true client fashion he ignored all the suggestions and went with his own idea.
Better avatar choice suggested?
1623300120198.jpeg

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
Lucky us (South Eastern) Melbourne folks cannot travel more than 25kms. Just heard that the Melba hwy is closed between Yerring and Yarra Glen. That would double the travel time!

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
There is probably also the option to Healsville then up to kinglake turn off but I would think that the number of trees down there would be intense. No matter - any time Melba is closed anywhere - the traffic is a nightmare! Especially on a long weekend.

blueandwhite

One of Us
May 26, 2016
TQY
Absolute struggle street for Buller. Gotta feel for the powers that be, you can see that they have been and are doing everything they can to get the season up and running but just getting crapped on from a great height by the weather over and over again. Obviously very, very early into this season but having lived through last season it just feels again like we'll never ski natural snow again! Come on the weather gods, make it snow or at least make it cold!
IMG_20210614_134541_edit_110395200848777.jpg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Absolute struggle street for Buller. Gotta feel for the powers that be, you can see that they have been and are doing everything they can to get the season up and running but just getting crapped on from a great height by the weather over and over again. Obviously very, very early into this season but having lived through last season it just feels again like we'll never ski natural snow again! Come on the weather gods, make it snow or at least make it cold!
IMG_20210614_134541_edit_110395200848777.jpg
Plenty of years there’s no skiing this week.

Chookfooter

One of Us
May 11, 2020
I also remember Buller in the 80s & 90's. Top to bottom snow at times, the discos packed and many Europeans would come and work the season. I remember seeing Crowded House before they were called Crowded House and the Saints, I think both at Kooroora. I hope they get a decent fall soon and get the people back.
Off topic I know, but I remember seeing the Wiggles before they were the Wiggles at the LJ.

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
I also remember Buller in the 80s & 90's. Top to bottom snow at times, the discos packed and many Europeans would come and work the season. I remember seeing Crowded House before they were called Crowded House and the Saints, I think both at Kooroora. I hope they get a decent fall soon and get the people back.
We were talking yesterday. Joe Camerilli and the black sorrows at the Arlberg. Allegdely 2000 punters

Reactions: MickM

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yeah that cold week before the storm was a killer, massive inversion, affected Falls and Hotham too which was unusual. Should have coated the joint.

Buller is such as warm mountain - the minimums are always 1C sometimes 2C higher than Falls and Hotham, which themselves are usually 2-3 C higher than NSW bigs plus CP.

It’s cruel but the SM window (total days per season) is probably about half that of NSW.

That’s after receiving maybe 50% of the total snowfall of NSW (& maybe 2/3 of Hotham and Falls).

The best bet is the Ice-maker on key runs, having the best SM infrastructure that operates well close to the -2C wet bulb, heaps of auto-guns for big volumes when they can run, the best snow farming and fencing (does it have enough?), the best drainage, and possibly, where able, narrower runs, with more shading and snow-trapping potential. Oh and the best summer grooming possible where environmental law allows?

A bit of weather luck would go down well too. Soon?
But it’s too early to fly the white flag for 2021. Way too early!

Reactions: Goon_Squad

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Buller is such as warm mountain - the minimums are always 1C sometimes 2C higher than Falls and Hotham, which themselves are usually 2-3 C higher than NSW bigs plus CP.

It’s cruel but the SM window (total days per season) is probably about half that of NSW.

That’s after receiving maybe 50% of the total snowfall of NSW (& maybe 2/3 of Hotham and Falls).

The best bet is the Ice-maker on key runs, having the best SM infrastructure that operates well close to the -2C wet bulb, heaps of auto-guns for big volumes when they can run, the best snow farming and fencing (does it have enough?), the best drainage, and possibly, where able, narrower runs, with more shading and snow-trapping potential. Oh and the best summer grooming possible where environmental law allows?

A bit of weather luck would go down well too. Soon?
But it’s too early to fly the white flag for 2021. Way too early!
Head honcho from the RMB said to me that Buller's long term future will see no skiing through the trees and heaps of slushy machines. That'll be some time off but certainly can see where he's coming from.

Reactions: nezumi and snowgum
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass