Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If everyone thought like that, they’d be no ski industry in Australia.

I sort of agree but we’re talking Buller here, so the only resort of the big 5 where a daytrips is feasible - if somewhat stressful on weekends.

But if you don’t have to restrict your ski week to June/July schl hols, why would one book at a riskier time of year? Just do some days and weekends (on spec or booked) until late-ish July. It’s not talking down the mountain, it’s just good risk management.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I sort of agree but we’re talking Buller here, so the only resort of the big 5 where a daytrips is feasible - if somewhat stressful on weekends.

But if you don’t have to restrict your ski week to June/July schl hols, why would one book at a riskier time of year? Just do some days and weekends (on spec or booked) until late-ish July. It’s not talking down the mountain, it’s just good risk management.
Your comment takes the perspective of the skier. Mine was from the perspective of the resort.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Your comment takes the perspective of the skier. Mine was from the perspective of the resort.
Yes fair enough, if services aren’t open and available - it’s a sub-standard experience. Happens from early/Sept. too across the resorts.

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Mod Note: Stay on topic.

The thread is being monitored. As per the previous post, discussion of the practicalities is fine, and rates as a concern for trips to Buller (or indeed any Vic resort).

Theorycrafting and speculating on where/how money is spent is sailing a lot closer to the wind. Keep it on topic for a snow trip. This applies to all and sundry. We don't need to know everyone's vax status, but the question of whether fully vaccinated people are exempt from the testing is a valid question. Use your common sense, keep it snow trip related.

Reactions: snowgum

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
* Mod Note*

Hi all

Could you please take any discussion about the current Melbourne situation and anything else off topic to the Buller Banter thread? This thread links to the snow reports section of this site, hence why it is for trip reports and conditions.

I’m going to move it all over.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
Facebook reminder, this day, 2018.

AB18CFF6-BF03-401F-8470-7F16783B86C5.png

Reactions: blueandwhite

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Buller have a new transport app this year. If you are using any of the transport services it is well worth installing.

The app shows live transport vehicle locations, inculding the village bus. It will prompt you when the ride share is on it's way to pick you up to leave the resort, so you can wait ready inside, not out on the roadside in the weather.

The more advanced your booking, the more likely you will get the time you are after. It also helps the transport company plan capacity to match demand. Don't leave booking the ride share to the last hour before you need it.

The app is called, Mt Buller Transportation

Last edited:

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Through the gate around 130pm

Very quick - just presented the SMS, no ID check required. The hold up was a car ahead of us having no parking/transfers organised so it took them a while to sort that out. That could prove to be the biggest pain point when the queue really builds at peak times.

Plenty of traffic on the roads, and lots of caravans. I suspect many are making up for the lost LWE. Mansfield quite busy.

Don’t speed. Noted an unmarked black 200 Series near Yea, several others on the move, and marked E Class HWP wagons either side of Mansfield busy issuing fines.

E9D89D98-F2F9-46CC-B31C-D407F554E90D.jpeg

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan

Very quick - just presented the SMS, no ID check required. The hold up was a car ahead of us having no parking/transfers organised so it took them a while to sort that out. That could prove to be the biggest pain point when the queue really builds at peak times.

Plenty of traffic on the roads, and lots of caravans. I suspect many are making up for the lost LWE. Mansfield quite busy.

Don’t speed. Noted an unmarked black 200 Series near Yea, several others on the move, and marked E Class HWP wagons either side of Mansfield busy issuing fines.

No Blake the Flake sticker on back window of Benz in front........must be first time to Buller

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Buller have a new transport app this year. If you are using any of the transport services it is well worth installing.

The app shows live transport vehicle locations, inculding the village bus. It will prompt you when the ride share is on it's way to pick you up to leave the resort, so you can wait ready inside, not out on the roadside in the weather.

The more advanced your booking, the more likely you will get the time you are after. It also helps the transport company plan capacity to match demand. Don't leave booking the ride share to the last hour before you need it.

The app is called, Mt Buller Transportation
Jesus when using the Buller app under Parking & Transport and you click on 'directions' to the overnight car parking it takes you on this route. That would be quite an interesting drive in a 2wd! Hopefully they sort this one out before the proper crowds arrive.

One neat touch I like though is how they get the imagery to represent the current snow conditions. :)

aaa.jpg

BullerBoyz

Hard Yards
Oct 2, 2007

Hey FixedGrip, I assume you got a covid test. How many of you/family(?), where did you go ...was there big queues? I'm 1/2 A-Z now, in no-mans land but I've never been tested. Hmmm.

Reactions: Chaeron

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016

Thanks for the heads up, figured there would be a few out.

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Enjoyed my season debut today! Considering it’s all snowmaking, they’ve done a great job with Bourke Street again. Can see the big piles sitting over on Skyline too. Got to Mirimbah at 8:30 and only one car in front of us. They were pretty cruisy about the covid test text message, but were definitely checking everyone. Didn’t seem too busy; the covid tests must have definitely played a role in keeping people away. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. And I only saw one toboggan!! :p Looking forward to another round tomorrow!

Last edited:

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Does your village pass have " tyres checked " on your pass
No.

Those slushi machines have been a good investment for Buller. Combined with a bit of snowmaking at least there is something.
1624144063361.png
They were making some on Skyline/Baldy as well as the Summit. They have some piles they can move around on the former too.

Reactions: Chaeron and MickM

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
yeah, I need to run some numbers, but expect with two more on Bourke street, starting 25 days out instead of 50 days out, the losses (which I believe to be substantial) would be reduce by more then half. And we should be then able to move a machine early to the snow play areas, to keep them off the ski runs. It costs a lot to have the resort open this time of the year, when you have such small visitor numbers. Many buses runing with only a few passengers etc.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Hopefully the test requirement goes away this week, day trip buses and the bulk $$$ they bring will be a massive casualty.

that will help the numbers, but with limited snow, it will puts a lot of pressure on the limit snow area. With two more machines we could do a lot to extend this end of the year, when demand is up. If the energy savings (from the reduced losses) pays the interest on the cost of two machines, it is a no-brainer.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
they checked mine, I'm sure they are mostly checking, could be they only people that look a little dodgy :whistle:

Goon_Squad

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2019
yeah, I need to run some numbers, but expect with two more on Bourke street, starting 25 days out instead of 50 days out, the losses (which I believe to be substantial) would be reduce by more then half. And we should be then able to move a machine early to the snow play areas, to keep them off the ski runs. It costs a lot to have the resort open this time of the year, when you have such small visitor numbers. Many buses runing with only a few passengers etc.
Do you have any idea of how the snow making is operated? I thought they would have cranked up the snow making on shaky knees, LBS and standard last night since it was certainly cold enough, was also a very unusual morning with very low humidity which is also good for snow making. Maybe from 7:30pm to 2am?

But none of those runs had any snow making running. If it was manual and someone had to turn it off at 2am, then it makes sense they can't run it. But hopefully there is some level of automation to run it?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
no, not sure, humidity was still quite high when temps low, and visa versa. I think they only had a small window. Short periods not so easy for the manual guns (worse if you can't access by snow mobile etc) should not be an issue for the full auto guns.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Whilst we are desperate to see the snow making fire up again you have to question if it is worth it if it's all going to just wash away in a few days time. Defeatist I know, but you have to look at it from the resorts' perspective.

Reactions: MickM
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass