Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Not much more to report about today. It was busier than yesterday for sure, with the lift queue moving much more slowly. Nice day up there with the sun shining. They were trying harder to enforce mask wearing in the lift line since it was busier. First by the lifties/guest services and in the end ski patrol was at the entry to the queue telling everyone off, ski instructors included! Great to be back up there and looking forward to there being more snow!!

Reactions: dr80

Shredderman

One of Us
May 31, 2000
Melbourne
My neighbours went up and weren’t asked to produce evidence. We’re just asked “Where you from?” And “Have you had a test?”
I went up on Saturday, no queues at mirimbah, I asked for my car park season pass, they got that for me and said just put it on here as no one behind you, I asked "do you need to check tyres I do have snow tyres" they said I believe you, you're right to go. "I said what about Covid test?", they said "oh are you from Melbourne?". They seemed pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Nice to get away from the angst in Melbourne :).

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Pretty strict on lift line masks on Sunday. Noticed an authorised officer taking pictures of the line on Saturday so im thinking they got a slap on the wrist.
+10 points to Tirol opening without the lifts, spent most of the weekend up there.

Reactions: Alexg1687

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
I went up on Saturday, no queues at mirimbah, I asked for my car park season pass, they got that for me and said just put it on here as no one behind you, I asked "do you need to check tyres I do have snow tyres" they said I believe you, you're right to go. "I said what about Covid test?", they said "oh are you from Melbourne?". They seemed pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Nice to get away from the angst in Melbourne :).
RMB being a government body should be absolutely enforcing this. What a joke !!!

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
No testing required from me as im rural when i get up there , I heard that there were cops on the Baw Baw road yesterday checking for Covid tests whilst Baw Baw didnt even have runs open.
yikes.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Half decent night of snow making last night. Summit, top of Standard, Bourke St and I imagine Skyline.

Random skid marks appearing on shaky and chamois too which I found a little surprising.
IMG_20210621_153510.jpg

Reactions: xuěboarder

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Half decent night of snow making last night. Summit, top of Standard, Bourke St and I imagine Skyline.

Random skid marks appearing on shaky and chamois too which I found a little surprising.
IMG_20210621_153510.jpg
Yeah a few more good nights and there might be enough for Skyline/Baldy

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Relative humidity duking it out with air temperature so far tonight. Guns go on, guns go off, guns go on...

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
Pretty strict on lift line masks on Sunday. Noticed an authorised officer taking pictures of the line on Saturday so im thinking they got a slap on the wrist.
+10 points to Tirol opening without the lifts, spent most of the weekend up there.
Bandanas / buffs ok or do they require you to remove that and put on a surgical mask for the lift ride?

Jun 11, 2020
Anyone got any idea which rule requires you to wear a mask outdoors?

Maybe a Mt Buller rule if don’t require it to be a “proper” mask?

(not trying to make this a Covid thread - just have a number of queries about this)

Reactions: Alexg1687

Goon_Squad

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2019
no, not sure, humidity was still quite high when temps low, and visa versa. I think they only had a small window. Short periods not so easy for the manual guns (worse if you can't access by snow mobile etc) should not be an issue for the full auto guns.
Interesting that you say about accessing manual guns, if that's how they work then it must be hard to use those 3-5 hr windows overnight when conditions are ok.

Do you know which guns are manual versus automatic? I'm guessing those on shaky knees and standard would be manual? And Bourke St blowers are auto?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Interesting that you say about accessing manual guns, if that's how they work then it must be hard to use those 3-5 hr windows overnight when conditions are ok.

Do you know which guns are manual versus automatic? I'm guessing those on shaky knees and standard would be manual? And Bourke St blowers are auto?
Main guns on Standard and Shakey are automated.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

no, not overall. BSL are continuously upgrading the system. Even semi automated locations need to be checked, in case say the air is blocked,
main feed/jets and so on. As then it would be just spraying water out over the ground.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
no, not overall. BSL are continuously upgrading the system. Even semi automated locations need to be checked, in case say the air is blocked,
main feed/jets and so on. As then it would be just spraying water out over the ground.

If BSL are still keen to improve the infrastructure, then given the new dam one would think replacing old manual guns/lines with auto would be a no-brainer, wouldn’t it?

Buller weather is cruel, SM windows short, so (as a layperson) you want to be squeezing every last second (& litre) out of every gun? Or at least within the pumping capacity?
(Not so simple huh? Money aside!)

I think Coronet is our poster child, big bloody auto guns , many on arms above the runs like M1, every 30-50m on the main runs. Of course it helps it ‘can’ get seriously cold overly there! (Waxing lyrical!)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
BSL (and the RMB) are spending millions each year on snowmaking, Standard and lower Mens in the last year. Even BSL don't have unlimited money and last they lost huge sums. I'm sure they would take donations. :rolleyes:
A credit to BSL for hanging in there! Gee I don’t know how they do with all the leaner years in recent decades and then Covid?

Reactions: Chaeron

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com
From Saturday 26 June until further notice Buller Ski Lifts will be limiting the sale of lift ticket and lesson products in order to preserve the quality of the visitor experience on the current snow cover. Skiers and boarders are urged to book online to avoid disappointment.

From Monday 28 June until further notice the Bourke Street Express chairlift will operate from 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM. The operating hours have been extended to enable more on snow time for our seasonal skiing and snowboard programs and our school holiday visitors. The “Twilight Session” from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM will be free of charge with a valid lift ticket or Season Membership. Some “Twilight Sessions” will be held exclusively for participants in the seasonal skiing and snowboard programs and will be promoted on the daily Buller Report and mtbuller.com.au

From Saturday 26 June the Northside Express chairlift will operate for sightseeing and limited snowplay.

At Mt Buller you can book everything online in one go – accommodation, lift tickets, parking, transport, rental, lessons and more – all on mtbuller.com.au

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
From Saturday 26 June until further notice Buller Ski Lifts will be limiting the sale of lift ticket and lesson products in order to preserve the quality of the visitor experience on the current snow cover. Skiers and boarders are urged to book online to avoid disappointment.

From Monday 28 June until further notice the Bourke Street Express chairlift will operate from 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM. The operating hours have been extended to enable more on snow time for our seasonal skiing and snowboard programs and our school holiday visitors. The “Twilight Session” from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM will be free of charge with a valid lift ticket or Season Membership. Some “Twilight Sessions” will be held exclusively for participants in the seasonal skiing and snowboard programs and will be promoted on the daily Buller Report and mtbuller.com.au

From Saturday 26 June the Northside Express chairlift will operate for sightseeing and limited snowplay.

At Mt Buller you can book everything online in one go – accommodation, lift tickets, parking, transport, rental, lessons and more – all on mtbuller.com.au

While I'm not looking to head up over the school holiday period, is there any potential for this limited ticket situation to be extended into July and August, and if so is there any way for Mountain Collective pass holders to reserve or pre-book tickets? As I understand it, the current process is to go to the ticket desk and present my RFID card and Mountain Collective Pass details, and have the days added to my pass then (or, in the case of my junior, purchase the RFID card and then the rest).

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com
While I'm not looking to head up over the school holiday period, is there any potential for this limited ticket situation to be extended into July and August, and if so is there any way for Mountain Collective pass holders to reserve or pre-book tickets? As I understand it, the current process is to go to the ticket desk and present my RFID card and Mountain Collective Pass details, and have the days added to my pass then (or, in the case of my junior, purchase the RFID card and then the rest).
Limited tickets are until further notice (read: until we get enough snow to open more runs).
TMC tix aren't included in capacity limits, follow the same process. Neither are Season Memberships

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Snow is very soggy.
Waiting for park to open, otherwise will be a quick trip today. Props where props are due, they have done a lot with what they have got.

Reactions: djam and Dave Clark

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
Snow is very soggy.
Waiting for park to open, otherwise will be a quick trip today. Props where props are due, they have done a lot with what they have got.
Can throw up a photo of the Baldy terrain park, curious as to what they’ve come up with.
cheers

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Around 11:30am. Did one run and enjoyed the rest of my day in Mansfield!! Have to say that not enough is being done to enforce mask wearing on the bus. On the bus back to the carpark we were the only ones with a mask on. It seems the drivers have given up saying anything to people.

00B06F15-5A6B-428B-ABD6-60CC9DC4E682.jpeg

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Yeah we went into Cow Camp at one point a few days ago and we were pretty much the only ones wearing masks despite all of the signage. Pretty pathetic effort by the general public. It's really not that hard.
I’d be super bummed if skiing got shut down again thanks to irresponsible members of the public, but there are also those who depend on the ski season as their livelihood, so I think more needs to be done by staff as well to make sure the rules are followed. I know it’s tiring dealing with idiots all day but it’s on a knife’s edge at the moment!

Reactions: blueandwhite

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Generally I would say staff have been excellent. We noticed a big difference this year in the hospitality areas with enforcement of masks, QR codes, checking of licences (when that was a thing). Way more stringent than last year. I haven't used the bus this year so not sure how busy and how non-compliant that has been. Cow camp is a different beast though - short of stationing a staff member there permanently it's pretty hard to enforce the mask wearing and relies on people to do the right thing. Cow camp on a busy and crap weather day has got super-spreader event written all over it. Large volume of people sitting inside in a humid warm atmosphere for extended periods of time. Lets just hope we stay lucky for everyone's sake.

Reactions: JuLe

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Generally I would say staff have been excellent. We noticed a big difference this year in the hospitality areas with enforcement of masks, QR codes, checking of licences (when that was a thing). Way more stringent than last year. I haven't used the bus this year so not sure how busy and how non-compliant that has been. Cow camp is a different beast though - short of stationing a staff member there permanently it's pretty hard to enforce the mask wearing and relies on people to do the right thing. Cow camp on a busy and crap weather day has got super-spreader event written all over it. Large volume of people sitting inside in a humid warm atmosphere for extended periods of time. Lets just hope we stay lucky for everyone's sake.
I agree about staff at hospitality areas! They have been great and really trying their best to make sure everyone is doing the right thing. The buses on the other hand… I’ve noticed on multiple occasions that people aren’t mask wearing and nothing is being done about it. The guest services guys are reminding everyone at the carpark but that seems to be the end of it once you get to the bus. Completely agree about Cow Camp/Village Plaza. Something needs to be done there for sure. Barely anyone checking in or wearing masks.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass