Snow Report Mt Buller 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Went for an ABOM ride and a stroll after kids dropoff. Beautiful day. If we don't get new snow (is that still a thing?) best case for school holidays would probably be Skyline with a couple of good night's of snowmaking and maybe a narrow strip down the side of Baldy. Summit and Standard look miles off.

Bourke Street
IMG_20210628_100343.jpg

Baldy
IMG_20210628_100844.jpg

Skyline
IMG_20210628_100510.jpg

Summit for the keen...
IMG_20210628_101905.jpg

IMG_20210628_101642.jpg

Terrain Park
IMG_20210628_101430.jpg

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Great pictures JB. Hopefully we get a little more white over this weekend. I've just been thinking back and by my reckoning Buller has not had a snow event greater than 10cm (whilst lifts have been turning) since 2019! So anything in the 10cm+ range this weekend would still be a big deal. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong with that stat.

The desperation was there to be seen last night. The resort has generously extended the operating hours for Blue Bullet to 7pm, but the queue was still out the back of the gates and beyond (as per the daytime queue) right through until about 650pm! Those ice chips on Bourke Street are getting well and truly thrashed. Kudos to the slushie machines for giving us any kind of season in June.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

soda

One of Us
Jan 23, 2003
A good starter last night, I can hear the snow making going flat out on standard as well. Looks like shaky knees is snow making too. Super cold this morning which is awesome!
Looks busy on the cams as well. Guesstimates on next terrain?

Skyline Monday?
Shakey?

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
I never understand this. Better off pinning our hopes on Standard and putting deck chairs and sunscreen out on shakey these days aren't we?
Is this the first year Standard has had full snowmaking capability? Suspect they will be pumping Shakey, Standard and Skyline first.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Is this the first year Standard has had full snowmaking capability? Suspect they will be pumping Shakey, Standard and Skyline first.
Standard got up and running fine with snowmaking last year. Shakey they tried very hard but it never got anywhere near being skied. Therefore surprised they are going down that avenue again. I'd understand it if there was a lot of snow in the forecast but...

Reactions: MickM

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
I never understand this. Better off pinning our hopes on Standard and putting deck chairs and sunscreen out on shakey these days aren't we?
The newer gun tech proved just how viable making on Shakey can be. I can think of numerous periods when a combination of grooming/making kept Shakey in great shape, while Tirol was essentially grass.

Plus - they have a touch more water to play with now.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Excellent snowmaking opportunity this coming week for Buller to showcase the best of oz infrastructure.
Agreed, if BSL aren’t pumping to 100% of what conditions allow this week, then they're really not interested. (I doubt this is the case. Seem to be going for it!) :thumbs:

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Possibly the worst morning I've seen at buller. Never really copped the combo of rain and lines. 30-45m wait for bb1 and absolute soaked through.

Reactions: jbprophoto

Ice Bear

First Runs
Jun 8, 2021
Hey X

Thanks for posting, was trying to decide if we should come up or not, will look at it again tomorrow morning.
I hope it gets better for you!!

Reactions: xuěboarder

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Yup Skyline opening in the next couple of days.

Freezing rain since the morning.

Conditions only for the hard core and 3 year olds wish heartless parents.

Reactions: snowgum

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Just picked up daughter who'd been up at Skyline for the morning. Her poles were literally perfectly wrapped in a half inch thick cylinder of ice. Haven't seen that sort of thing since i last skied in Scotland...

Reactions: MickM and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Just picked up daughter who'd been up at Skyline for the morning. Her poles were literally perfectly wrapped in a half inch thick cylinder of ice. Haven't seen that sort of thing since i last skied in Scotland...
They know their ice in Scotland - they’d be heavy, cold poles today! Lunch will taste good!

Reactions: blueandwhite

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Much better afternoon with baldy open. Sketchy but fun. Skyline was turning without loading so I'd expect tomorrow ish.
Absolute shitshow getting off the hill, one car off the road and another in a head on.
Snowed nicely from 4pm til off hill.
20210704_163137.jpg

Reactions: CarveMan

Goon_Squad

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2019
would Standard be close with a couple more snowmaking days?
mtbuller-standard (2).jpg
I hiked it today, down to the bottom. About half a metre on the lower section in your pic, plenty of snow on the trail to the chair as well. They've been prioritising the lower section while the temps are cold. Upper section from skyline down to the hard right hander is sketchy, not enough snow at all, so hopefully they can get the upper guns going or the big dump this arvo might be enough.

Spoke to a liftie today, he said their priority is Shakey, Skyline and Summit, with standard next after those.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass