Snow Report Mt Buller 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

loppa24

First Runs
May 31, 2022
Does anyone know if there is likely to be parking available at Mirimbah this Sunday morning? Planning on catching the 8:30am bus from Mirimbah - Is it safer to just park in Mansfield?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
Does anyone know if there is likely to be parking available at Mirimbah this Sunday morning? Planning on catching the 8:30am bus from Mirimbah - Is it safer to just park in Mansfield?
When I head up alone I just park in Mansfield and either snag a spot in median or out the back of the bus depot.
Mirimbah parking normally looks a mess on weekends. My thinking is you will always find a spot in Mansfield but your day is stuffed if you can't park at Mirimbah.
Also when I went up last week the Mirimbah store looked like it had been abandoned since last season, absolutely no sign of life.

loppa24

First Runs
May 31, 2022
When I head up alone I just park in Mansfield and either snag a spot in median or out the back of the bus depot.
Mirimbah parking normally looks a mess on weekends. My thinking is you will always find a spot in Mansfield but your day is stuffed if you can't park at Mirimbah.
Also when I went up last week the Mirimbah store looked like it had been abandoned since last season, absolutely no sign of life.
Thanks for the very helpful reply - yeah couldnt think of anything worse than getting to Mirimbah only to be told theres no parking. Will just go from Mansfield :thumbs:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

The only other thing I can suggest if you run out Buller (access) options is to treat yourself or family to a day of XC skiing up at Stirling -

Mt. Stirling - only 20 mins up a good quality gravel road (it’s snowploughed), has ski hire, a small but warm cafe, offers instruction and offers around 75 km of (mostly groomed) trails.

And saves you a bundle on lift tickets?

(No I don’t get a commission - just an old advocate !) :cool:

AuroraAustralis

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 2, 2014
Frenchman’s. Couple of sunset screen grabs off the summit from my brothers drone today.

CD53D18F-D604-467C-8BA6-28B2C17FF2E6.jpeg

IMAG0098 Mt Buller around 1960.JPG
I've been going through some old slides recently and the image looked familiar! Attached photo was taken in 1960 give or take a year.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

It is under a new lease, no longer MMBL, I think it is planned to be open for the Winter.

Reactions: Chux-sw

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
I got a park there no problem on Saturday night of Queen's Birthday
I suspect mornings are a different story.
I'm seeing more and more people drive as singles /couples / families to Mirimbah then pile into one car to drive up the mountain. These cars would be gone by 5pm.

I'm also surprised how many families and groups use the bus for day trips, they must be spending over $300 just to get to the village.

I only take the bus when alone and going overnight as it is so much cheaper and I don't have to worry about diesel.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I've been going through some old slides recently and the image looked familiar! Attached photo was taken in 1960 give or take a year.
I reckon that line of snowgums have ascended the face/ mini-gully in those 60 years.

Hard to directly compare as the 1960 shot doesn’t really capture the gully area.

But seems to be consistent with many alpine / sub-alp interfaces - rising treelines as the planet (Oz) warms. Is what it is.

Reactions: skimax

Pisteoff

Hard Yards
Jun 26, 2016
It would be rideable but I don’t think they will keep the lift open. With staffing issues, they would relocate to other parts IMO.

It looked like they were messing around with a groomer there yesterday.
Today was our first trip to Buller in over 10 years. (My insignificant and futile protest in response to Vails greed) Was greeted with rain, moderate winds and low visibility although it got better at a lower altitudes. Despite being drenched we managed to get in almost 6000m vertical. The cover was good - even on lower northside, although a few holes were appearing. Some lower temperatures are desperately needed. In 4 trips to lower tirol, we sighted one wombat and no other skiers/boarders.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Today was our first trip to Buller in over 10 years. (My insignificant and futile protest in response to Vails greed) Was greeted with rain, moderate winds and low visibility although it got better at a lower altitudes. Despite being drenched we managed to get in almost 6000m vertical. The cover was good - even on lower northside, although a few holes were appearing. Some lower temperatures are desperately needed. In 4 trips to lower tirol, we sighted one wombat and no other skiers/boarders.
Just trying to understand your comment about Vail in the context of Buller?

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Is Buller really less “greedy” than Falls / Hotham?
Maybe a little, they soldiered on in during the pandemic while Falls and Hotham shut up shop and pissed off a lot of locals.

I don’t know what Falls/Hotham’s losses were but I’ve heard the Buller number, it’s eye watering, not insignificant 8 figure sum that could have been ameliorated by closing and not catering to regional customers.

I've worked for resorts owned by wealthy families (Deer Valley, Buller) and ones owned by 'big corporates' (Vail, The Canyons) and you can really tell the difference. They're all out to make a buck but the corporates squeeze out every last one where the family owned resorts tend to know when is enough and when the customer experience shouldn't be compromised.

Ice Bear

Hard Yards
Jun 8, 2021
I have some friends that booked with Vail last year and weren't able to go due to Covid.
They had a terrible experience getting refunds etc..
As opposed to mine with a season pass with Buller, they were fantastic with all options on the table and very easy to roll over to the next year.

That keeps you coming back, relaxed and happy...

Pisteoff

Hard Yards
Jun 26, 2016
Is Buller really less “greedy” than Falls / Hotham?
I usually ski Vail resorts but decided on a change this year. Yesterday, Buller midweek day passes were $123 and Vails $159. On weekends, Buller is up to $199 and Vail up to $209. A bit cheaper with Vail if you book several days ahead - but that is very risky. Its not a huge difference but a bit of an excuse to ski somewhere else.

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Mine just looks like rain streaming off my roof

Does look wet. One of those Buller days where probably net loss. Snow level was supposed to get to around 1500m.

Looking like some colder temps coming through mid next week.

Still amazing cover for school hols though. Most years just looking at grass this time of the year!

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
We had a few flakes mixed in at one point this morning but it is rain, rain, rain now. 1.5 degrees at 1,700m. Cover been taking a hit the last few days and will get hurt today. The weekend looks crappy too unfortunately. Sunday a chance of some snow maybe but temps don't exactly look convincing... Thinking about driving to BP in Mansfield for a heart attack roll just to relieve the cabin fever of the last week!

• Sad
Reactions: MickM and LiveToSki
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass