Snow Report Mt Buller 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Saturday was one for the books. Groomers were excellent in the morning, whilst most of Northside was on for the afternoon. Lower Tirol is pretty much done - home trail has large holes, village 3 was sketchy.
Spurs opening was good, I’d hope they continue it for the season. Nice to see the deck at Kooroora being used as well.
Strangely enough, it was quiet on slopes. Not a single line all day!

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
1656125792524.png

Where "smell of Napalm" = Little Buller nicely groomed with no-one on it and being inspired by our recent viewing of Top gun and the need for speed...
Was a great start to the season!
Rinse and repeat!!

Reactions: FixedGrip and TOFF
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dodgydamo

Hard Yards
Sep 18, 2017
Saturday was one for the books. Groomers were excellent in the morning, whilst most of Northside was on for the afternoon. Lower Tirol is pretty much done - home trail has large holes, village 3 was sketchy.
Spurs opening was good, I’d hope they continue it for the season. Nice to see the deck at Kooroora being used as well.
The village must be rammed with sightseers and snow players or Bourke St chockers with beginners maybe?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
The village must be rammed with sightseers and snow players or Bourke St chockers with beginners maybe?

It's not so bad, having everything (almost) open, including two toboggan runs (because of the snow factories) really helps a lot. Bourke street does have huge amount of lessons active and still a number of walkers on it.

Reactions: CarveMan

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
The biggest queue was at Mirimbah!!!!!

Reactions: MickM

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Anybody else had one of these from PayPal?

"Leisurenet Aust Pty Ltd cancelled your automatic payments. This means we'll no longer automatically draw money from your account to pay the seller. If you have any questions, please ask Leisurenet Aust Pty Ltd about this cancellation."

Any idea what it's about?

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Anybody else had one of these from PayPal?

"Leisurenet Aust Pty Ltd cancelled your automatic payments. This means we'll no longer automatically draw money from your account to pay the seller. If you have any questions, please ask Leisurenet Aust Pty Ltd about this cancellation."

Any idea what it's about?
There’s currently a banner message in this site to explain it

kasper

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2003
The biggest queue was at Mirimbah!!!!!
Yep - I came off the hill at about 12pm on Saturday after a big morning on my own without the kids (was a great morning on the groomers - 6 laps down summit at 8:30am (they opened it early) before the 'crowds' arrived... at 9) and the queue was a stand still from the gate through to Alpine ridge - 4km traffic jam..Stand still not a car moving, most were walking down the side of the road I had two people (both with village permits) coming the wrong way down the road....... The queue at Mirimbah for the bus must have been at least 100-200 people.

but then we came back at 4pm (to do some night skiing) and the hords were then lining up for the busess back to the car park. The queue was from the village centre around the new theme park waiting area past the playground to the enchanted forest.....suffice to say it was very busy on saturday!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yep - I came off the hill at about 12pm on Saturday after a big morning on my own without the kids (was a great morning on the groomers - 6 laps down summit at 8:30am (they opened it early) before the 'crowds' arrived... at 9) and the queue was a stand still from the gate through to Alpine ridge - 4km traffic jam..Stand still not a car moving, most were walking down the side of the road I had two people (both with village permits) coming the wrong way down the road....... The queue at Mirimbah for the bus must have been at least 100-200 people.

but then we came back at 4pm (to do some night skiing) and the hords were then lining up for the busess back to the car park. The queue was from the village centre around the new theme park waiting area past the playground to the enchanted forest.....suffice to say it was very busy on saturday!
I saw the Queue for the buses at about 6pm Saturday.

The shuttle buses were totally overwhelmed.

I might nite that the announcements at Spurs to (quickly) get on a chair before the Horse Hill chair stopped at 4:45pm (ish large numbers of punter still downloading).

It’s a shame Mt BRM can’t persuade BSL to run HH Chair a little longer on peak weekends. That would help limit the crowds waiting in the village plaza for buses - who were slogging (nominally) uphill, across to Bourke St.

It’s a shemozzle when it’s extremely busy, like the weekend just past ~ 2/3 July. It’s time for mountain stakeholders to find a solution - before they lose significant numbers of future visitors.

Mind you, these problems are great for Falls and Hotham stakeholders. ;) And for NZ to a lesser degree!

‘You reap what you sow’. (Or don’t)

Fwiw: I’m grateful our gang I was staying on the Mtn, Saturday.
And Buller (Sat) to miss the bus issues. It was was good ‘jolly good fun’ (weekend #1 of season) if a tad icy - esp. shady, southern slopes.

Reactions: Froff Life

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It’s a shame Mt BRM can’t persuade BSL to run HH Chair a little longer on peak weekends. That would help limit the crowds waiting in the village plaza for buses - who were slogging (nominally) uphill, across to Bourke St.
How many would have a lift ticket?

And even if they didn't I know BSL wouldn't want someone on a lift who hadn't at least signed a waiver, therefore needing to go through the ticketing process etc etc.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
How many would have a lift ticket?

And even if they didn't I know BSL wouldn't want someone on a lift who hadn't at least signed a waiver, therefore needing to go through the ticketing process etc etc.

Fair enough but couldn’t RM & BSL come to a financial arrangement, whereby there was a discounted HH SS rate, say after 4:30, to help get people off the mountain?

Clearly on the Saturday in question, and others, logistics, schedules, forecasting, rostering weren't a
Even close to catering to the bus demand.

Sure sightseers are annoying, especially if you’re in the business catering to skiers/boarders.

But they are legally on the mountain (encourage horse hill AMAP) and their OHS (& the mountain’s) is at stake if they’re stuck out in the elements (with kids) for an hour or two? Care of duty, etc…

And to be fair, there would some full-fee paying snow-riders stuck in the queue, wondering if they should head elsewhere for next Saturday/ school holiday?

That’s a risk if Buller can’t get its transport act together.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
And to be fair, there would some full-fee paying snow-riders stuck in the queue, wondering if they should head elsewhere for next Saturday/ school holiday?
That's my main concern.

And I'm not sure the weekend snowplay/transport situation is necessarily solvable, I think the demand needs to be reduced as the supply side will never cater properly.

It happens on too few days a year to justify an investment to really scale up and provide a good experience.

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017

Wouldn't it be challenging for sightseers to go from Village Square to Horse Hill chair / Spurs area?
1. It's uphill, longish walk. Worse if condition is crap.
2. The direction isn't straightforward, especially if you're new to the mountain.
3. They have to traverse across ski field dodging skiers / boarders.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Wouldn't it be challenging for sightseers to go from Village Square to Horse Hill chair / Spurs area?
1. It's uphill, longish walk. Worse if condition is crap.
2. The direction isn't straightforward, especially if you're new to the mountain.
3. They have to traverse across ski field dodging skiers / boarders.

Yes it would be challenging - I ice,

Poorly gtp
On Saturday (2/4) pm. started following skiers (not SS) heading back to the Village from Spurs. Fort.:

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Please excuse that garble - I was falling asleep while tying.

Yes it’s challenging for all newbies, skiers and walkers - it’s still an issue to manage. Some folks do traverse - walkers and skiers - I’d be surprised if a ‘horizontal’ lift (carpet) couldn’t resolve.

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
It's so easily solvable. Simply install an 'alpine coaster' (like at many euro resorts) from the village square down to horsehill car park. Charge $5 a shot to take the coaster from top to bottom and Buller will absolutely clean up at peak times. Would probably pay for itself in the first year and also provide an awesome year round attraction for non skiers!

1.jpg

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
The coaster would be fun, about $4million to build, doesn't move many ppl.

On Saturday the carpark bus queue was all gone about 18:15 and Sunday around 17:45. The queue can be very long, but moves at a reasonable pace when every things working well.

Bottlenecks happen when there are buses down, mostly with mech issues, and fitting chains can create a large delay.

Reactions: blueandwhite

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
But as a non skier attraction all year round it would be awesome. Although imagine the daytrippers trying to get on the coaster with large cardboard boxes, microwaves, toasters and the myriad of other random items you see people with on the bus...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Great snow, nice weather, school holidays, post 2 years of lockdowns...this is a perfect storm of...1 in 100 year event... :out:

I do feel sorry for all the parents and their kids just queuing, waiting, freezing and sitting in their cars for total of 8hr+ just to see something white.

Reactions: snowgum

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
But as a non skier attraction all year round it would be awesome. Although imagine the daytrippers trying to get on the coaster with large cardboard boxes, microwaves, toasters and the myriad of other random items you see people with on the bus...

Not many travel on the bus with more then a bag, other then the expected skis/boards and so on. Gets difficult when the parent has to carry the kids skis as well as their own. Many do hold skis and boards horizontal, not great in tight spaces.

The most common large item is a pram, at a guess I'd say there is a pram for every 4 bus loads.

The main two reasons I backed away from a coaster, was 1, cost, and 2, they work much better if an existing lift can be used to return the coaster and person to the top, the bolt on return feature can be another million to the overall cost. At Buller there isn't a existing lift that aligns well with any coaster location. Ideally, as is the case in some resorts, they have a few products that all end up at the one lift, that then returns the people from them all.

Note that the costs to use these products, like a coaster of this size/length are in the $60-$80 region, it would cost more then $5 to collect the fare. So when you say you want these products you really need to know the cost to use it, and then say how many times you would ride it. Skiers on season passes get a really good deal, the average casual visitor pay so much more to do it say just once.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
As an example, many day visitors do the chair ride.

Northside express:

Adult Sightseer Single Return Ride $39.00

FixedGrip

Pie QC
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
It happens on too few days a year to justify an investment to really scale up and provide a good experience.
This
And serious ski/board day trippers simply need to be on the road super early for the peak weekends - some may need to learn that the hard way.

Is it still considered to be an issue that many snow players are oblivious to the fact there are snowball options closer to Melb?

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
This
And serious ski/board day trippers simply need to be on the road super early for the peak weekends - some may need to learn that the hard way.

Is it still considered to be an issue that many snow players are oblivious to the fact there are snowball options closer to Melb?
Lake Mountain has moved to pre-bookings and this entire week has been booked out for some time. I feel sorry for the people who live nearby and like to go for an XC ski based on the weather/conditions.

Our original plan on Sunday was to get up and take a leisurely drive up after breakfast to set up for few days mid week. So, with a season Village Pass, if I arrive at the back of a 4km queue at Mirimbah at 11:00am, do I just have to sit there and wait or do they periodically come down and pick out pass holders to bring to the front of the line?

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Our original plan on Sunday was to get up and take a leisurely drive up after breakfast to set up for few days mid week. So, with a season Village Pass, if I arrive at the back of a 4km queue at Mirimbah at 11:00am, do I just have to sit there and wait or do they periodically come down and pick out pass holders to bring to the front of the line?
I was thinking this myself - surely just drive past the queue?

FixedGrip

Pie QC
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Not good.

Yes excellent question - there's surely a workaround for passholders/ops vehicles et al?

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Go the night before. Or visit a few wineries etc in the way and get there at 4pm

Reactions: FixedGrip

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
It will come under RRV (Regional Roads Victoria) and the police to manage, not sure there is a lot that can be done. Longer term, it could do with a extra lane, for what, 3 kms.. ?

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Please feel free to download theses screenshots so the next time anyone from other ski resorts thinks they’re being funny by bagging our little hill for being foggy, just show them this from Sunday:D

Capture1.JPG

And to prove it’s not an anomaly, this one from Monday.

Capture2.JPG

I didn’t take any screenshots yesterday, but Buller looked like this

IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG

Nothing but sunshine, only a hint of breeze in exposed areas

The sun’s low angle kept the snow solid and icy. A couple of centimetres of manmade shredded ice-grains on top.

Signs everywhere drawing attention to ice and snowmaking whales but that didn’t deter people from yard-sales left and right. Different people wiped out in the same sections every run. I’ve never seen Ski Patrol so busy with carnage. Wombat lift stopped regularly to load up the next casualty on a stretcher, then download at the other end. Chopper seen going to and fro several times.

Wombat is now closed half way down.

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

Off piste is patchy where open. If you enjoy skiing corrugated rime-plated concrete, it’s fun LOL

IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG

Returning to Horse Hill in the afternoon, this was the only area that slightly softened. I had one quick run down Shakey Knees which was chopped up, soft and grainy, and crowded. The only really busy run I encountered. Most looked like wobbly beginners struggling in the deep chop. One run was enough for me there.

I was gobsmacked to see a group of sightseers standing halfway down in the middle of the run! Totally oblivious of skiers having to avoid them, and narrowly making it in time as they laughed and chatted and took photos of all the skiers around them!

They weren’t the only ones. Several similar groups between here and Horse Hill, wandering around and throwing snowballs, oblivious of close calls with skiers. Similar but more throngs at Burnt Hut. So crowded with sightseers congregating right across the top of the run, several deep, that skiers battled to get a clear slide from the lift and through the crowd to start the run. Seems the issue of sightseers walking along Bourke St has shifted now to the north side areas, but 100 fold. A recipe for disaster

Amazing inversion on the drive up. While the car’s temperature gauge hovered between 0 to -3 all the way from before Yea to Merimbah, with fields and grassy verges covered in thick white frost, the gauge read +6 halfway up the Buller Rd

Would have been great to groom Summit Slide. Maybe not enough snow there for it?

Gorgeous day to be there though. With so much cover, school holiday crowds are manageable.

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
I thought it was quiet yesterday, other than bourke st. Skied on to every lift except the bourke st one. Koflers was never packed like ive seen it.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
One kid reckons all the nasty block ice sheets thats taking peeps out are under the snowmakers

• Wow

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
One kid reckons all the nasty block ice sheets thats taking peeps out are under the snowmakers

I can testify to Saturday’s skiing being very chopped up in places and icy on most runs but still good fun and the cover is basically there as a good base when further snowfalls (finally) arrive.

Not sure about theory of SM areas taking peeps out. Possibly a furphy from pub chats?

But with glorious sunshine, most main rains open and ‘skiable’ early July - after 2 non-winters, it was fabulous just to be up on the Mount and try a few sketchy telemarks - and schusses, again.

Fwiw: Afternoon crowding was practically non-existent on the blue-easy black rubs. Bourke st /Baldy was a different matter. ;)

Reactions: Ice Bear and mr

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
I was gobsmacked to see a group of sightseers standing halfway down in the middle of the run! Totally oblivious of skiers having to avoid them, and narrowly making it in time as they laughed and chatted and took photos of all the skiers around them!

They weren’t the only ones. Several similar groups between here and Horse Hill, wandering around and throwing snowballs, oblivious of close calls with skiers. Similar but more throngs at Burnt Hut. So crowded with sightseers congregating right across the top of the run, several deep, that skiers battled to get a clear slide from the lift and through the crowd to start the run. Seems the issue of sightseers walking along Bourke St has shifted now to the north side areas, but 100 fold. A recipe for disaster

Had the same issues when I was there last week (Monday and Tuesday). I almost run into 4-5 sightseers walking up hill on the ski field between top of Arlberg and top of Shaky Knees lift., rather than the access path. As they're down the hill, I almost didn't see them going down the runs. I told them that they're not allowed to walk on the ski field but they're not interested.

Would have been great to groom Summit Slide. Maybe not enough snow there for it?
Coverage is so-so near the bottom of the run when I was there two Mondays ago. I suppose it would've been worse by now.

• Sad

Parse

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 11, 2010
Chelsea
Not sure about theory of SM areas taking peeps out. Possibly a furphy from pub chats?

I do remember some almost blue patches below the snowmakers on Howqua causing some trouble a few years back. Patrol ended up fencing them off

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
There is no doubt that there are snow making ice patchs. But in reality the whole mountain is solid as a rock. Most of the areas not groomed are unskiable all day. The groomed runs are fast and you need edges right up to the last run.
BUT the weather is sensational and I have to keep reminding myself it is only July 6th. There were people skiing in tee shirts today!
Well worth coming up.

Reactions: FixedGrip

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
There is no doubt that there are snow making ice patchs. But in reality the whole mountain is solid as a rock. Most of the areas not groomed are unskiable all day. The groomed runs are fast and you need edges right up to the last run.
BUT the weather is sensational and I have to keep reminding myself it is only July 6th. There were people skiing in tee shirts today!
Well worth coming up.
Oh dear, T shirts and ice aren’t a good mix. I still have my modest 10-year old, ice scars on my arm (below elbow) from some coarse, SM ice at Concrete Peak. I foolishly pushed my a Goretex jacket sleeves up near my elbows on a nice warm day.

It’s worth keeping in mind, as to the severity of damage that coarse ice can do to bare skin. And a slide/burn won’t tickle.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Oh dear, T shirts and ice aren’t a good mix. I still have my modest 10-year old, ice scars on my arm (below elbow) from some coarse, SM ice at Concrete Peak. I foolishly pushed my a Goretex jacket sleeves up near my elbows on a nice warm day.

It’s worth keeping in mind, as to the severity of damage that coarse ice can do to bare skin. And a slide/burn won’t tickle.
Man up! In my learning years, I always seemed to come down on my left elbow, invariably on a sunny t-shirt day - to the extent that now much of the skin there has no pigment.
It's all fun, even when there's blood and gravel rash!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using