Snow Report Mt Buller 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Resort Operations Update – 30 July 2022, 11:00am

Update: As anticipated, the mountain has attracted high visitor numbers today. As at 11:00am car parking for day visitors (excluding pre-purchased resort entry and overnight guests) has reached capacity.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Thanks @Timmossy @CarveMan @willsnow and @JuLe . I had picked Feathertop previously as it’s pretty distinctive but hadn’t worked out which resorts were where, just knew you could see them, so that’s great to know.

Some were taken from Wombat Chair, others from Summit, including these two below. So they’re a slightly different aspect with Stirling further across to the right, and what I think is Hotham in the saddle of Stirling.

IMG_0514a.JPG
IMG_0514b.jpg

Is Falls Creek visible on the above? I was wondering if it's to the left of Stirling, in-between Feathertop (red dot) and Hotham (yellow dot), or whether it’s further to the left of Feathertop? If it's inbetween, then it will be behind Stirling in these shots below, from Wombat Chair,

IMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Thanks @Timmossy @CarveMan @willsnow and @JuLe . I had picked Feathertop previously as it’s pretty distinctive but hadn’t worked out which resorts were where, just knew you could see them, so that’s great to know.

Some were taken from Wombat Chair, others from Summit, including these two below. So they’re a slightly different aspect with Stirling further across to the right, and what I think is Hotham in the saddle of Stirling.

IMG_0514a.JPG
IMG_0514b.jpg

Is Falls Creek visible on the above? I was wondering if it's to the left of Stirling, in-between Feathertop (red dot) and Hotham (yellow dot), or whether it’s further to the left of Feathertop? If it's inbetween, then it will be behind Stirling in these shots below, from Wombat Chair,

IMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg
You're not going to see falls creek from Buller, maybe catch a glimpse of mackay? It's blocked by razorback, feathers and the western side of the BHP

Been many a year since I checked out that winter view, maybe I'll defer to @CarveMan

Bottom shot is fainters
2nd from bottom is bogong

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Good skiing today if you stayed away from the overnight snowmaking efforts. I don't think they had a chance to groom after snowmaking so it was a bit variable in places. Summit/Grimus all still ski really well. Good cover albeit a bit slick in places so just gotta pick your lines. Couldn't fault the weather though, superb.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Bull Run must have an issue, everyone directed to Lydias at the bottom of standard, lift status still say Bull Run Lift is open :confused:

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
yeah, some big gusts apparently, must have been big to just pull the pin like that.
Glad I stayed inside :p

Reactions: MickM
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MogulMaster

First Runs
Jun 13, 2022
Got over to Lydia's apparently right before they closed all the main runs... got a decent 5 laps in until they closed Bull Run abruptly and people walked- I mean skied over to the bottom. Being stuck at the mid-load was pretty tedious and they were loading 3 chairs at the bottom, and one at the middle. At that point, I got my last lift and heard of the situation elsewhere and then got the tows over to Bull Run, expecting to only have to hike up to skyline- no! Ski patrol came past and ignored me so obviously wasn't struggling too much. Hiked up to Bourke St and called it a day.

Reactions: djam

pmbten

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
Absolute carnage at times this afternoon on lower Chamois. With only 2 lifts running on the mountain, there were plenty of people who ventured over to Chamois for probably their first time. The top half was busy so you needed to give yourself some space to enjoy your run. Plenty of people were struggling with the top half and that’s ok, but when these people see others venturing beyond the mid load the temptation got the better of a few too many. I saw plenty of BIG crashes but one that was way too close for comfort and a major head injury was a young guy who decided his best option was to take his board off and walk down. He proceeded to slide backwards on his back and gathered speed to start tumbling. This would have easily been 30m before he ended up in the creek. I have no idea how his head missed some big rocks when he was falling fast - all without a helmet. For a split second I thought I was about to witness a cracked skull or broken bones for sure. Someone was looking out for the guy because he just got up and walked away.
There was also a bad crash on the mogul course where the skier looked to be in a bad way.

FixedGrip

Pie QC
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Nice persistent showers much of the drive home - shame the number on the dash was so high. Was rather mild in Mansfield when we stopped for a bite around 545.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
still r**n at village level, 0.2° out hopefully that goes neg very soon.

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
You're not going to see falls creek from Buller, maybe catch a glimpse of mackay? It's blocked by razorback, feathers and the western side of the BHP

Been many a year since I checked out that winter view, maybe I'll defer to @CarveMan

Bottom shot is fainters
2nd from bottom is bogong
Thanks @hongomania , also to @Onlybackscratchers and @CarveMan . Over the years, a number of people had said you could see Hotham and Falls Creek from Buller’s Summit. I could never work out which it was and where. I’ll stop trying to find it now! LOL

Good skiing today if you stayed away from the overnight snowmaking efforts. I don't think they had a chance to groom after snowmaking so it was a bit variable in places. Summit/Grimus all still ski really well. Good cover albeit a bit slick in places so just gotta pick your lines. Couldn't fault the weather though, superb.
@SkiMun , I shared a lift with one of the senior snowmakers the other day and he said that they generally need to leave that manmade snow for about 6 hours before grooming.

Apparently the grains are like grapes, consisting of an icy skin containing a bead of water. Grooming too soon ends up crushing the shell and the water leaks out, instead of allowing time for it to freeze into a granule.

He also said they need to compromise quantity over quality. Better quality ends up with less totals, but they’re now trying to ensure there is sufficient snow to carry through to the end of Sept school holidays

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Apparently the grains are like grapes, consisting of an icy skin containing a bead of water. Grooming too soon ends up crushing the shell and the water leaks out, instead of allowing time for it to freeze into a granule.

Ha! Fascinating thanks for sharing.

Chuda

First Runs
Aug 2, 2022
Sounds like will be pretty windy / wet tomorrow and thursday. Was planning on heading up for a mid week ski but not sure if worth it. assuming lots of lifts will be shut ?

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Whoa, those totals higher than expected?
If you mean the rain totals then that is most likely snow melt. Has been doing that all season. As soon as the temp gets up the rain guage fills! I've just been outside for 20 minutes and came in dry. It's just very windy. Except at Lydias where it's not, even at the top station. Amazing how some areas like Chamois and the valley the Northside Express runs in can be so sheltered when it's 100kph+ elsewhere!

Reactions: MickM

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
If you mean the rain totals then that is most likely snow melt. Has been doing that all season. As soon as the temp gets up the rain guage fills! I've just been outside for 20 minutes and came in dry. It's just very windy. Except at Lydias where it's not, even at the top station. Amazing how some areas like Chamois and the valley the Northside Express runs in can be so sheltered when it's 100kph+ elsewhere!
Lydias is still closed though right?

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Lydias is still closed though right?
Yes, although when I walked past the staff were just arriving and opening up the top station. But I'm not sure they'll open Lydias if Bourke Street Express doesn't run. It's not a great run to be sending first timers to!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using