Ski Pass

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
How are the kids going today?

I didn't want to jinx things but I think at their age they may be fine to hack their way around Hotham without lessons if it's still booked out.
Yeah pretty good actually. This is him after 1 afternoon lesson and a few hours this morning

FixedGrip

Pie QC
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Fun morning - weather a bit of a chore but had some great turns. Small queues for Howqua, zero at Summit, Shakey and Bull Run - didn’t bother with Wombat after seeing those trappercam pics.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Snow was pretty heavy and wet in the morning, but quite skiiable. Lt Buller and Kofflers were my pics. By late morning it was VERY wet, and now it is very wet chopped and sloppy.

Mixture of rain / sleet with occasional snow most of the day, and cleared once or twice but otherwise pea soup. Fortunately no wind.

Beginners and intermediates would have had fun but I was quite happy to ski a few hours and then plonk at home with a beer (until one child decided they had had enough for the day and I had to pick them up). Looking at the drizzle outside the apartment window over Chamois right now.

Actually as I type it just changed to sleet / wet flakes.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Dunno but Men's Downhill was pretty good with good cover. I'd imagine Yurredla would have been ok too.

Fast One skied pretty well this afternoon. Very soft late spring kinda snow, the kind I don't mind actually. Had to dodge a few bushes at the top but once you're in it's nice.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FixedGrip

Pie QC
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
16 in Melb suggests bad time.

Super fun today with sunny breaks/cloud. Nice and dry. Lower summit slide is getting sketchy - skiers left bare earth but lift access still ok. Summit Howqua skiing really well. Working our way around…

Reactions: kasper and MickM

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
used to be (Bullers) better when the upper lifts closed 30 minutes later, last ride on Wombat was 16:30, now they closed the top of wombat (the runs) at 16:10 or so, when did they sneak that in. Same with Summit it also closes 30 minutes earlier :tany:

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
used to be (Bullers) better when the upper lifts closed 30 minutes later, last ride on Wombat was 16:30, now they closed the top of wombat (the runs) at 16:10 or so, when did they sneak that in. Same with Summit it also closes 30 minutes earlier :tany:
Yeah, we noticed that last time we were up. Very disappointed

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Yea makes my after work skiing less attractive. No time for even a quick donut at Koflers just go go go

dkasper

Addicted
Jul 13, 2007
Gorgeous sunny arvo!
Lovely morning too. Cold on the southern side and northern softened in the sun. Great day for interschools and lots of little tackers out loving life. Good reward for those out Friday, Saturday. (Although I still insist that early Friday morning on Grimus rivalled today!). Lots of emphasis on snow making, but what is the going rate on just digging a little/lot out in areas unused and dumping on Burnt hut?

LKc6eZq.jpg

L0b4jaW.jpg

qsFU9Jy.jpg

FixedGrip

Pie QC
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Probably one of the better examples of stupidity I’ve ever seen on the way home.

White BMW sedan blew past me and another car at well over 100, in the middle of Merrijig! Hope you enjoyed my light bar champ.

Said stooge then pulled out of the very tight conga line climbing the hill towards buttercup road, and finally managed to force his way back in just short of the crest.

Bravo.

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Probably one of the better examples of stupidity I’ve ever seen on the way home.

White BMW sedan blew past me and another car at well over 100, in the middle of Merrijig! Hope you enjoyed my light bar champ.

Said stooge then pulled out of the very tight conga line climbing the hill towards buttercup road, and finally managed to force his way back in just short of the crest.

Bravo.
One of the reasons I will never travel home on a Sunday night.

Midweek the way to go!

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
Maybe it’s down to staffing troubles but it seems like lift queue etiquette is at an all time low. Very few people bothering to form 4s to keep the line moving. Singles line just streams through, ignoring your clearly formed 4 if you’re in a group.

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Not sure why but I enjoy watching the live cameras on Shakey Knees & Standard when they are grooming the runs at night (now).

Those groomers have some impressive spotlights on them!

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Yes I have made it my mission to fuck with the 'singles line creeper' - I just call them out on it now.
Skied Flat Creek a couple of times many years ago, and had to get good at dealing with this situation. Strategy: Appear to be looking elsewhere as they sneak up, but be watching out of the corner of your eye. Right as they're about to dodge past, turn around with your elbow out and flip them right out of the line. "Sorry, didn't see you there."

Reactions: Alexg1687

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
BOM has scaled the Thurs - Sat 50cm back to Thurs - Sun 45cm.
Temps will be a problem imo. Hope I am wrong or there is an upgrade.

I am there on 18/19th so hopefully it is at least what conditions are now. Could be a warmish week.

Should still be plenty up high though.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
The singles line is the biggest waste of time on the mountain, no idea why they persist with it. Abused by pretty much all and sundry and punishes those that try and do the right thing. Just get rid of it already.

Reactions: CarveMan

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Jane's computer still saying no. Temps very marginal a lot of the time later this week with Saturday night and Sunday morning looking a bit better. But this is Buller we are talking about so it'll probably snow when it's +1 and rain when it's -2.

Skiing On The Mind

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2020
Melbourne
waxrepair.wixsite.com
Was skiing with a mate from NSW yesterday who boards and thought I’d show him the entrance to Fanny's, not expecting it to be skiable after all the r**n on Friday - Saturday.

To my surprise, it still had enough cover and the rain had probably mellowed out the bumps a bit. It skied shockingly well so we had a few fun laps late in the day.

Now back at work... :emoji_expressionless:

15642ACB-4114-4253-B2EA-3F2E037397CE.jpeg

F6BEC395-E9DD-44E3-9EA0-7B54FC6C130F.jpeg

CB5E1E9A-BB2A-433B-80FC-42F5D632AEFB.jpeg

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
BOM has scaled the Thurs - Sat 50cm back to Thurs - Sun 45cm.
You can't get snowfall values from the BOM forecast by summing the highest number on each day... Based on the current precipitation numbers, 20cm is a fairly reasonable estimate. With regards to the temps, it seems unlikely that it'd all fall as snow. So probably less than 20.

That's based on just the BOM forecast showing now so still might change to be colder and wetter (or the opposite).

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
The singles line is the biggest waste of time on the mountain, no idea why they persist with it. Abused by pretty much all and sundry and punishes those that try and do the right thing. Just get rid of it already.
Single line is useful and works perfectly IF you have a liftie standing at about that spot directing traffic. When I was liftie at Buller and NZ we'd have the extra staff member managing the line on the busy lifts e.g. Wombat., Howqua.

I assume they're understaffed and running lifts with just the load and unload staffed.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using