Snow Report Mt Buller 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

dodgydamo

Hard Yards
Sep 18, 2017
Opening weekend:
Saturday, bullet proof off piste, white out, pretty quiet day. Birdcage coffees and drinks around 1030, 45m+ for coffees. Chatting with the manager, the whole group is massively short of staff and experience.
Didn’t bother with lunch, lines were cooked. Alpine for dinner, not much of the menu available.
Client in the square was all time.Hoohah reached capacity around 11, 30-40m for drinks.

Sunday, started off depressing with rain but ended up the best day on hill. Rain overnight and morning softened up off piste, with wombat bowl and fed bowl a highlight. Given signage, no one was dropping Fed bowl so had it solo for the day.
The line for the day park was nearly up to the ABOM stairs when by 5.
Dinner was a nightmare, multiple kitchens either closed or out of inventory. Ended up at Pats who was keen to hear about the previous night at Kooroora.

Monday, bluebird and firm. Nice to be able to see again. Spent 2h at Tirol, snagged a table. Good to be back. Wait for food was around 1h.
waited 2h for a taxi and gave up, getting a friend to drive us off hill.
Chatted with the owner of alpine whilst we waited, have nightmares with staffing and lack of experience. Noted that the restaurant was only open for guests as they were out of inventory.
1065145A-97BF-4B7C-86ED-55316402F987.jpeg
A10402E4-BF62-4BF8-B1D6-D171DEADBCF6.jpeg
3568348C-0645-4986-B460-9983C645F333.jpeg
9F20B9FE-1437-44DE-938D-3A32FCA65F58.jpeg
7A0C0FAA-3850-4AF7-9222-E14BA1CBDA6E.jpeg

CBEB4A9C-1545-404F-B809-0A201452E59D.jpeg

8A3B83A4-2FEC-43C5-824A-DD4843C3DF58.jpeg

E0BC5B77-A3D5-4F18-8EFE-C7AB9A615EC1.jpeg

Yesterday was ace except for the queuing for buses and b-tags (although to be fair was expected). Didn’t get very far with 2 kids needing help remembering their snowplough turns but all smiles at the end of the day.
Can’t wait to be back with Horse Hill and Grimus up and running (and no kids!)

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
Is anyone else baulking at the cost of lift tickets this year?

Cheeky day-trips to Buller don't look so cheeky anymore.

I'm actually considering going skinning/AT at Stirling instead.

$185 on a weekend. $154 mid-week. $169 mid-week during school holidays.

If I pay in advance, it comes down to a reasonable $123 mid-week...

..except the whole point of doing mid-week day-trips is you go at the last minute when the weather/conditions are the best.

xskiaus

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2021
Vodaphone has seemingly gotten worse. Was spotty the last few seasons but I had nearly no internet this weekend. Calls and messages fine.
Boost (Telstra) was pretty ordinary as well over the weekend. No issues with calls & text but the data was getting slow. Tested at 7.77 Mbps down and 7.25 Mbps up. Usually I get around 115/45 (admittedly its in the off season or during lockdown).

Let's hope its just equipment issues from the snow/ice rather than congestion. Having to live with that all season will drive me nuts.

Reactions: xuěboarder

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
Just tested Boost 4G now from inside lodge on Sterling Rd

97Mbps down 7.6Mbps up. Place is relatively empty.

All that everyone is talking about is staffing.

Snow is great, lets not talk about visibility.

Reactions: xskiaus

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

..except the whole point of doing mid-week day-trips is you go at the last minute when the weather/conditions are the best.

I'm thinking wistfully of 2019 when I managed to score some midweek days in August for $66/day :D
I'm also a bit disappointed in the change in the Mountain Collective pass from AUD parity with the USD cost to a direct currency transfer. Granted, the exchange rate is pretty decent right now, but if it wasn't.....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dkasper

Addicted
Jul 13, 2007
Today looked like it was going to be hard and fast, but a couple of laps of Bourke St felt real nice. Despite the buller report warnings of Standard being glassy and fast it was a dream! Did half dozen laps with a couple of dozen other people before treading to Wombat/Howqua/Summit which were all glassy and fast compared to standard. Yesterday standard run felt like a double black and I wished my snowboard had a few more edges, today (chefs kiss).

XRRQGxvm.jpg

Tried to fine up, but didnt.

3e7nModm.jpg

Delightful down a very quiet standard. Does anyone know why yesterday LBS was skiing so much better than Standard and flipped today? Groomed all the same? Wind? Snowmaking?

X5wwNgzm.jpg

Pretty.

Ku5JOCW.jpg

Back to Melb for me, happy winter everyone!

Last edited:

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Boost (Telstra) was pretty ordinary as well over the weekend. No issues with calls & text but the data was getting slow. Tested at 7.77 Mbps down and 7.25 Mbps up. Usually I get around 115/45 (admittedly its in the off season or during lockdown).

Let's hope its just equipment issues from the snow/ice rather than congestion. Having to live with that all season will drive me nuts.
I was getting 0.04 mbps down on a Telstra MVNO, what a joke.

I’m switching to Optus I reckon.

Reactions: xskiaus

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Back to crappy weather today. Dry but visibility absolutely awful again and the off piste continues to be unskiable. There was some visibility very low down on Wombat and Standard but that came and went. Love that we have all of this snow, quite keen to actually be able to ski it at some point! More of yesterday's weather please... Call me Captain Fussy...

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

I'm a tiny bit worried about it.

Everything you hear from the mountain is that everything is fully booked but as you know Buller does all that with a good top-up of day skiers to really put the cream on the numbers.

I've seen no evidence of it in my business either but something is nagging at me that it's going to bite them on the bum in the longer term. But they've got all the data and the beauty of a dynamically priced ticketing system is that they can adjust quickly with no printed collateral with pricing out in the wild etc.

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017

There used to be a 6-day any day ticket, which comes to around $90 / day. I haven't seen them available after COVID, unfortunately.

Reactions: travelislife

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008

It won't stop me going, but I'm a 30yo professional with very few expenses (except skiing.)
It will stop my usual ski buds who have pesky things like wives and kids.
It will stop any of my mates who have expressed an interest in trying it for the first time.
Both of which mean I will probably do less days overall than I would otherwise.

soda

One of Us
Jan 23, 2003
Just on the ride share, I'd be more ok with the delays if they sent a text once a driver was allocated. Little birdie told me this was put forward internally but not put in place due to costs. If true that would be dissapointing decision, when weekends for families can be a $1k plus spend on the hill.

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Just on the ride share, I'd be more ok with the delays if they sent a text once a driver was allocated. Little birdie told me this was put forward internally but not put in place due to costs. If true that would be dissapointing decision, when weekends for families can be a $1k plus spend on the hill.
Yea the lack of comms is a real downer. In the age of digital world, push notifications, you'd think there would be a cost effective solution to it....but no.

Reactions: soda and CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Fun times getting off the hill today.

2-3hr waits for shuttles.

One would hope that BSL will soon ‘find the staff’ to run Horse Hill Chair. At least run it weekends and school holidays etc…

Despite 2.5 years of almost zero takings, BSL seriously need start planning and funding their access gondola. (Gas tank corner - base?)

Stakeholders will continue lose potential custom as ‘some people’ give up on Buller when they suspect / know it will be busy. Time to bang the gong!

benzerknees

Addicted
Oct 16, 2010
One would hope that BSL will soon ‘find the staff’ to run Horse Hill Chair.
Yesterday , Summit Chair was running. I image 2 people rode on the lift all day, due to wind and fog. Also Howqua chair ; same deal.
How much better to resource HH chair (aka Northside) and not only carry people up/down to the Carpark but also open up the nice sheltered terrain of Dam run and Cow Camp, that has such a nice cover.... at the moment. :mad:

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
For reference I have documented the 2022 Mount Buller skiing conditions since the off piste died early last week and we started using lifted terrain.

Wednesday
1.jpg

Thursday
1.jpg

Friday
1.jpg

Saturday (QBW)
1.jpg

Sunday (QBW)
1.jpg

Monday (QBW)
2.jpg

Tuesday
1.jpg

Wednesday
1.jpg

That said I would rather be skiing Standard and Wombat without being able to see my hand in front of me than skiing a five metre wide strip on Bourke Street in full visibility and sunscreen. Bravo!

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
This is going to be one of those seasons where nobody sees the sun until late august and everyone goes a bit loopy. Skiing should be pretty good though.
It's impossible to complain because there are so many lifts open for this time of year and it is brilliant to be skiing the runs that are open. But jeez I enjoyed Monday and being able to see again for that short window!

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It's impossible to complain because there are so many lifts open for this time of year and it is brilliant to be skiing the runs that are open. But jeez I enjoyed Monday and being able to see again for that short window!
I had a magical day on Monday skiing with my 2 girls for the first time. We had a brief go on Sunday in the fog and rain but I am declaring that it doesn’t count and that Monday is the milestone day!

Ice Bear

Hard Yards
Jun 8, 2021
The new parking valet service goes above and beyond to ensure the best experience for their customers...

Reactions: skimax
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass