1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt Buller COVID-19 Resort Details

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by djam, Mar 24, 2020.

1. djam

djam One of Us

2. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Fair play to Buller, on the front foot here as much as they can be given the circumstances.

dawooduck, mx_boarder and skiflat like this.
  3. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Sorry but all these advertorials I am over them, every company and govt dept sending emails and faxes a bit motherhood " " during the Covid19 crisis our staff's wellbeing is front and centre of " blah blah Blah .
    This doesnt deserve a thread IMO its 2.5 months til the ski season who knows what will happen?

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of construction still going on up here.

Claude Cat and Chaeron like this.
  5. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Any grass skiing options? :whistle:

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Normally I would agree with you. Pretty over every online shop I've ever bought anything from emailing to tell me how much they care about their customers and staff etc etc. But the Buller release concerns cancellation policies. I've dropped almost 10k so far on this upcoming season so I want to know what their policy is regarding refund or deferral. This definitely gives me some clarification and clear guidance on that.

Chux-sw, Chaeron, jbprophoto and 4 others like this.
  7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It's good that they have published something and that it is fairly clear

their cancellation policy is a whole lot less generous than what our club will be doing. admittedly we are not a business, but run for the benefit of our members.

I also didn't think much of the weasle words about summer (lip service to gov policy while encouraging visitors)
    We urge everyone to follow the government directives regarding non-essential travel and social distancing for your own safety and for those around you. Mt Buller and Mt Stirling provide opportunities for those in the area to undertake independent activities outdoors and the road to our village is currently open.

nezumi and blueandwhite like this.
  8. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Just read it , yep advertorial , unimaginative weasel words and Mt Buller is committed to the health and wellbeing of all guests, employees and our community.

9. Dave Clark

Dave Clark One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We are
    a) putting health at the forefront
    b) attempting to answer common questions we've been getting even though no-one knows for sure what will happen and
    c) provide as much peace of mind as possible (given dozens of independent operators) for those who have booked

@currawong definitely not encouraging visitation at this time, we are trying to relay facts. Trying to clarify that outdoor activities are still permitted - again this is a common question.

As you know it's a very dynamic situation and we'll update as regularly as required. Here's to as much skiing as possible!

10. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

What will happen with season passes if there is no / reduced season?

11. Dave Clark

Chaeron likes this.
  12. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

I must have missed the weasel words.

It's a very clear summary of the current situation. If anything it discourages the 'tourist' element from visiting by making reference to non-essential travel.​

13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i must be more cynical than you then.
    i've read too many other things that try to say we really want you to travel while appearing to say #staythe****athome. BCF easter camping sale for instance

nezumi and Claude Cat like this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

15. jbprophoto

jbprophoto Hard Yards

Peak in Victoria for Covid19 is potentially looking like it might be late May early June - then there is likely to be a longish downward curve until restrictions start to ease. Who knows what's gonna happen but clearly the late season ski months will be more chance of the mountains opening rather than June ish at this stage - but it's honestly anyone's guess at the moment. We're booked for a week in the last week in July 2020 and we're resigned to the fact that it's fairly unlikely to be a goer.

16. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

You essentially need restrictions back to phase 1 to be able to operate a resort (ie. allowing non-essential public gatherings of less than 500 people). So yeah but nah no ski season for us.

I also understand that no Vic resort will 'go it alone' either. They are working as one with Chamber of Commerce and DELWP.

17. Dave Clark

All this talk of what will and won't happen. Nobody knows. We will be winter-ready and that's all I can tell you about the future.

"He who lives by the crystal ball soon learns to eat ground glass."

18. CarveMan

And I can confirm that there’s a huge amount of work going on up here, I rode my mtb around all the ute tracks on the hill the other day.

Snowmaking works on Standard, the dam, excavation of the trail from Boggy Ck to Burnt Hut, maintenance dudes at lots of the lift stations. RMB is pouring concrete repairing the roads, Corn Hill road car park has been sealed.

cold wombat, LiveToSki, DbSki and 2 others like this.
  19. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

While no-one’s watching let’s quickly seal the Stirling link road too....

Seth, PiedPiper, Snowwww and 5 others like this.
  20. Gototakahashi

Gototakahashi Hard Yards

And this will be the year that has a record breaking 2000-like Late May / June. It will be the most depressing month if we are not there!

cold wombat likes this.
  21. Dave Clark

Confirmed this one over the weekend, will be uploaded to the website shortly...

2020 SEASON MEMBERSHIP & RESORT ENTRY SEASON PASS COVID-19 REFUND POLICY

This policy is provided by Buller Ski Lifts Pty Ltd (BSL) and the Mt Buller & Mt Stirling Resort Management Bord (RMB), and applies to Season Memberships purchased from BSL and Resort Entry Season Passes (including village access permits) purchased from the RMB for the 2020 Snow Season (COVID-19 Refund Policy). This COVID-19 Refund Policy is in addition to the 2020 Season Membership and Resort Entry Season Pass Terms and Conditions respectively. In the event of any inconsistencies between this COVID-19 Refund Policy and the above Terms and Conditions, this COVID-19 Refund Policy has precedence to the extent of the inconsistency.

In response to the wide-reaching impact of the COVID-19 pandemic BSL and the RMB seek to reassure holders of Season Memberships (Season Members) and Resort Entry Season Passes (Pass Holders) planning for the upcoming 2020 Snow Season by providing the following commitment:
    • If the ski area at Mt Buller is unable to operate at all for the 2020 Snow Season as a result of COVID-19 issues, BSL will provide a refund of each 2020 Season Membership or an equivalent credit towards a 2021 Season Membership and the RMB will provide a refund of each 2020 Resort Entry Season Pass or an equivalent credit towards a 2021 Resort Entry Season Pass;
    • If the ski area at Mt Buller is only able to operate for a limited period during the 2020 Snow Season as a result of COVID-19 issues, BSL will consider offering a partial refund of each 2020 Season Membership or an equivalent credit towards a 2021 Season Membership, and the RMB will consider providing a partial refund of each 2020 Resort Entry Season Pass or an equivalent credit towards a 2021 Resort Entry Season Pass Any decision regarding the offering of partial refunds or credits will be made in September 2020 when the full impact of COVID-19 on the 2020 Snow Season are better known.
    • Season Membership credits and Resort Entry Season Pass credits carried forward to 2021 will not be subject to any price increases, but will only be valid for use at Mt Buller.
    More detailed information about our approach to refunds and credits will be provided when BSL and the RMB have a clearer understanding of the impacts of COVID-19 issues on the 2020 Snow Season.

We expect that refunds or 2021 credits will be processed in September 2020 when 2021 Season Memberships and Resort Entry Season Passes go on sale.

#21 Dave Clark, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  22. willsnow

willsnow Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

What about pre-purchased daily or 6 day passes? Are they eligible for the same return policy?

Snowwww likes this.
  23. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Hey. Better than Lake Mountain who have already shut the gates, because 270 cars entered last weekend (shock horror!) WTF if they all kept their distance from each other?

24. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Given the potential for inexperienced individuals to be going bushwalking as a form of socially-distant exercise, which increases the chance of an injury and the need for a response from emergency services, Lake Mountain's response is not unreasonable under the circumstances.

https://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/6708172/lucky-escape/

25. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

A valid argument only if they close down all bushwalking areas in the state. Lake Mountain's ski trails would be amongst some of the easiest bush walks in the state. XC mountain bikes (not DH) may be different - don't know.

26. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Probably shouldnt be agrued in this thread but I havent the temprement to follow the main Covid 19 threads - but what part of "Stay home unless necessary" do golfers/surfers/MTB riders etc dont they get. Yes you can leave the house for exercise but that is only to exercise near to home. I assume those 270 cars do not live on the hill. They could pretend that they are exercising but If they were honest with themselves, they would realise that they are just doing stuff they want when they want and using a pretend 'loop hole' to flout the laws because they are just too good for the rest of the country.

BoofHead, Sadie, dawooduck and 5 others like this.
  27. wolly

wolly One of Us

so they are allowed to there holiday homes for Easter..... kiss sking this winter good bye

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If stage 3 lock down is eased by the end of August then some BC XC skiing could be feasible. Resort based lifted downhill skiing is not going happen in Ozstriya in 2020.

29. wolly

wolly One of Us

so a lot of Mansfield residents will not have jobs for winter, me included

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Most ski towns in SE Ozstriya will cop it in the ……………. this winter. I am sorry to hear that Mansfield will be deleteriously impacted by the general CV19 situation. Mt.Beauty, Bright, Erica, Marysville, Porepunkah , Thredbo, Cooma ,Jindabyne , Omeo ,Myrtleford and many other places will suffer this winter if the ski resorts do not open at all.
    The best thing forum users can do is to go bushwalking , mountain biking and skiing twice as much in 2021 in these areas and put money back into these towns when it is possible.

Now could be the time to get some BC XC gear just in case we are allowed out of home but the ski resorts are not operating. That would include suitable skis, boots, poles, skins, snow camping equipment etc. and the fitness to hike in with a heavy winter pack and ski all day , earning your turns.Getting a chainsaw , snow shovel and wheel chains for an AWD/4 WD vehicle will be a sound investment too.

31. Dave Clark

Not in the slightest bit true. NOBODY knows what will happen yet either way. We know that nobody knows! And anyone purporting to know is frankly making stuff up, so I recommend you disregard them Mr T for your own sanity.

Indeed Australia’s ski resorts are preparing for a June 6 opening. Whether that occurs ... again ... NOBODY KNOWS

Alleve, mx_boarder, dawooduck and 2 others like this.
  32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will be happy to be proven wrong and hope we can all XC ski at Mt.Stirling and Falls Creek etc. in 2020.

33. CarveMan

I’m currently standing under the Wombat chair, getting some exercise, they are putting chairs on the line.

34. wolly

wolly One of Us

was your travel to mt buller classed as essential?

35. CarveMan

We came here well before any of that started. We have followed every single government guideline to a tee. Put down your pitchfork.

36. wolly

wolly One of Us

so you are the one abiding by all the rules, there arent many of you!

37. CarveMan

Just like in every part of Australia I’m sure there are people doing the right thing, and others that aren’t, ‘locals’ included.

luvthabumps, currawong and nezumi like this.
  38. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

Dave Clark and CarveMan like this.
  39. CarveMan

Ease up there mate, the pitchfork mob don't like that one.

40. wolly

wolly One of Us

who is confused., lucky i only have one home

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Homeless people can't just stay at home.
    :-(
    The Federal Government has not made much noise about this demographic group lately.

snowgum likes this.
  42. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have to agree with this one T.

While many are singing the praises of the Feds in this crisis (mostly due to the jobs subsidy), their home rental policy - er lack there of) is a disaster.

Thousands will be out on streets if Scotty doesn't sort this mess soon - and they wont have a second or third home to flee to.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  43. Snow Dog

Snow Dog One of Us

How's pre season prep going at Buller?
    I'm planning to travel to our apartment tomorrow for some much needed maintenance. Putting aside the snow across Thu / Fri (my work will be inside), I'm assuming this is ok and I won't be chased off the mountain? I understand the village is open to workers and residents at this point?

44. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

As long as it’s not for “social and recreational reasons” as appointed by the RMB, should be fine. If they are building, you should be able to fix up your apartment, makes sense.

45. djam

djam One of Us

yes, this is okay. As long as you follow the social distancing rules, all who live together
    is okay, or 1 extra person with one, keeping the 1.5m rule also okay.

So a family can come to do a work party as such, if no one else is there.

46. Snow Dog

Snow Dog One of Us

Thanks - makes good sense. I now have to try and get my 10 and 12 yo working...

47. CarveMan

You will be fine, you are allowed to travel to a property you own, just need to follow social distancing etc while you're here. Coffee Garage, Abom and Supermarket are open but I'd suggest bringing food and self-containing as much as possible

It's a very busy summer with construction etc, huge amount of trades up here along with all the resort works. I think that's why the messaging has been different from other resorts which have incorrectly told property owners they are not welcome.

I haven't looked down Standard for a couple of weeks but was up near Skyline yesterday and the track to Standard looks to have been all covered over again after the snowmaking works. Dam progress is pretty clear on the webcam.

48. Snow Dog

Snow Dog One of Us

Thanks @CarveMan
    Heard a rumour this morning that even if the regs loosen up, Buller may chose to close for 2020 due to economics
    We'll see - my maintenance is in hope...

49. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

No way. They need that season pass loyalty. Even if it is just a few lifts.

CarveMan likes this.
  50. djam

djam One of Us

Not sure of the logic in that, I'd say the opposite.

Buller may chose to (close) OPEN for 2020 due to economics.

Not just for Buller, but for much of the surrounding area/businesses. I believe we should
    have news on the plans within a week.

LiveToSki likes this.