Mt Buller COVID-19 Resort Details

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
I get how the lifts could spin with 2 people on each chair etc

what I don’t understand is how you get the people there. Lodges won’t be able to operate. Private apartments would be fine. But the bus system couldn’t run. Query whether taxis could operate. Could perhaps rely on Northside for day trippers. But the only people who could really stay on the mountain are those with car passes.

All suggests to me that Buller (lifts and the bare minimum ski hire etc but no bars or restaurants) might open for school holidays, close after 14 days of running 5 lifts, tell season pass holders (including many who for practical reasons can’t use them) to get f..cked and hope that everything will be ok in 2021 because being close to melb means people will go.

The alternative would be for BSL to cut it all now. Don’t commit to any more fixed costs for the season. Hope most people elect to defer their passes to 2021.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I get how the lifts could spin with 2 people on each chair etc

what I don’t understand is how you get the people there. Lodges won’t be able to operate. Private apartments would be fine. But the bus system couldn’t run. Query whether taxis could operate. Could perhaps rely on Northside for day trippers. But the only people who could really stay on the mountain are those with car passes.

All suggests to me that Buller (lifts and the bare minimum ski hire etc but no bars or restaurants) might open for school holidays, close after 14 days of running 5 lifts, tell season pass holders (including many who for practical reasons can’t use them) to get f..cked and hope that everything will be ok in 2021 because being close to melb means people will go.

The alternative would be for BSL to cut it all now. Don’t commit to any more fixed costs for the season. Hope most people elect to defer their passes to 2021.
Normal taxis are operating now and have been throughout, so I wouldn’t have thought that would be a great issue.

If anything it would probably be the opposite, avoid creating weekend and holiday crowds. Open weekdays. It all depends on what government says, and what sort of social distancing measures BSL has in store. Only they can say.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Normal taxis are operating now and have been throughout, so I wouldn’t have thought that would be a great issue.

If anything it would probably be the opposite, avoid creating weekend and holiday crowds. Open weekdays. It all depends on what government says, and what sort of social distancing measures BSL has in store. Only they can say.
not saying they would not be allowed to operate but it's not quite the same. ordinary taxis usually don't carry groups who don't know each other.

Reactions: Alexg1687

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
not saying they would not be allowed to operate but it's not quite the same. ordinary taxis usually don't carry groups who don't know each other.

I don’t know what the contract with travel safe says but I imagine only being able to carry 4 people per taxi wouldn’t be economical enough to get geared up for the season.

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
From the DHHS website... seems promising?
EDDB7B44-D9EE-484F-8443-CC3C9949197D.jpeg
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sport-c...t-about-snow-sports-can-i-travel-to-get-there

Reactions: Snowwww and Chaeron

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Re: buses. My observation is that public transport has been ignored during this pandemic. When schools go back the buses my kids normally use are going to be pretty full again. Physical distancing won't be possible for kids and adult passengers alike. So the bus services at ski resorts would be no different.

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
Buller closed for all skiing, boarding and tobogganing from today. This would seem to include AT and XC. Stirling can be used.
Reason given is safety and no patrols.
As a payer of high fees to RMB and with a strong likelihood of a postponed or 'limited area' season - I am mighty p... off.
Essentially this is to ensure visitors are not welcome - I understand that to some degree with regards their concerns for too many day trippers and resort being in semi hibernation.
Still p....off as I'm sure the ban will not be lifted until lifts and patrols running.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Will be interesting if the tune changes once all the pre-season on-slope work is complete, they’re not wrong about stuff like the trenches being dug and all the work for the Dam etc, a week ago there was still plenty of work needing to be done to finalise all the snow guns on standard, would be hard to maintain a safe workplace with random ski-tourers tramping through it. I guess when I was touring last week there was so much snow that they downed tools for the few peak days so I got lucky.

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
I'm hoping this will change. I guess my major concern is that Buller makes 'patrolling' a a condition precedent to allowing any touring, XC or tobogganing. We were about to go up this weekend and spend some time there this coming week. With 2 kids and now not being able to even toboggan next to the apartment or XC ski the village trail is a bit much - and has never been the case pre season. On touring - if the season if deferred then surely they'll allow touring - or maybe this will be the new rule going forward 'no touring unless patrolled'...which puts a fork in touring at Buller...

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I'm hoping this will change. I guess my major concern is that Buller makes 'patrolling' a a condition precedent to allowing any touring, XC or tobogganing. We were about to go up this weekend and spend some time there this coming week. With 2 kids and now not being able to even toboggan next to the apartment or XC ski the village trail is a bit much - and has never been the case pre season. On touring - if the season if deferred then surely they'll allow touring - or maybe this will be the new rule going forward 'no touring unless patrolled'...which puts a fork in touring at Buller...
I think it’s more about getting people to stay away for now.
Plus said liability and safety reasons

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I think there will be a critical mass of people, most of whom are my mates, touring that could be unpatrollable, it would be in their best interest to come to an arrangement. I won’t be up again until August but under different circumstances I’d be expecting to be able to tour if there is snow on the ground.

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
This may be a silly question, but what is Buller's (and other resorts in general) stance on touring when lifts are running? (This includes skiing down the marked runs). It has been welcomed in resorts I've visited overseas, but I've never really pushed it here. Are there specific areas at Buller you are allowed to skin up? or is it frowned upon / banned over the complete resort?

Note: I remember the first day I tried snowboarding I simply boarded down Bourke Street, then walked up the road!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
There’s few enough doing it that there hasn’t been the inevitable ‘knee-jerk ruin it for everyone’ type of ruling. I suspect this year they might want to formalise a policy as you don’t want people out there with winch cats working etc.

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
Buller closed for all skiing, boarding and tobogganing from today. This would seem to include AT and XC. Stirling can be used.
Reason given is safety and no patrols.
As a payer of high fees to RMB and with a strong likelihood of a postponed or 'limited area' season - I am mighty p... off.
Essentially this is to ensure visitors are not welcome - I understand that to some degree with regards their concerns for too many day trippers and resort being in semi hibernation.
Still p....off as I'm sure the ban will not be lifted until lifts and patrols running.
who will police this? I have seen videos of people tobogganing today

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
but are you going to enforce the rules?

With the recent adoption (ramping up) of AT, I can Almost envisage the need for a new class of patroller on Buller? The touring Patroller!

They could start with 1-2 paid patrollers per ski day and a few ‘Vollies’ ?

Buller might need to mark out an official route for approved touring? ;):thumbs: :skier:

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
So the ski season will open on June 21 but the guidelines say "No communal facitlies". That pretty well rules out all Lodges?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
So the ski season will open on June 21 but the guidelines say "No communal facitlies". That pretty well rules out all Lodges?

That’s how I / many see it - a good year for serviced apartments or hotels with own facilities! Or even cabins in the valley below? A pity for club lodge peeps.

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
It's going to be a fascinating season.

With no overseas travel possible in the near future (except maybe NZ), and even interstate travel problematic, I think the bookings will sell out in a flash. All the 'too good for Buller' overseas snobs will be laying down the $$$$.

But on the other hand, will there be a decline in overseas student day-trip visitors?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It's going to be a fascinating season.

With no overseas travel possible in the near future (except maybe NZ), and even interstate travel problematic, I think the bookings will sell out in a flash.

But on the other hand, will there be a decline in overseas student day-trip visitors?
I have a feeling that demand is going to definitely outstrip the reduced supply available this year, both in terms of accomm with lodges being problematic, and also the reduced capacity on the mountain due to staff housing & social distancing requirements.

We are totally understocked, the brands had to make go/no go decisions on importing stock in Mid-March, some had their containers already on the water and others reduced or cancelled orders, no right or wrong decisions as it was all looking pretty scary at that time, but in hindsight I think we’re going to be undercooked. I might have rose coloured glasses on due to having an online store which has been a godsend the last few months.

As per someone's suggestion here, I've opened my airbnb booking calendar but have now blocked out Fridays so will only take Sun night - Wed night booking - so you can ski Mon - Thurs, which will give the cleaners an extra day to do a deeper clean before we arrive for weekends. I won't be overly concerned though if we don't have that many bookings TBH. Interestingly not one inquiry since the announcement yet. I've blocked instant booking as well.

Reactions: CarveMan

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
I have a feeling that demand is going to definitely outstrip the reduced supply available this year, both in terms of accomm with lodges being problematic, and also the reduced capacity on the mountain due to staff housing & social distancing requirements.

We are totally understocked, the brands had to make go/no go decisions on importing stock in Mid-March, some had their containers already on the water and others reduced or cancelled orders, no right or wrong decisions as it was all looking pretty scary at that time, but in hindsight I think we’re going to be undercooked. I might have rose coloured glasses on due to having an online store which has been a godsend the last few months.
Dont tell me that some people are going to have to use last years equipment!! Ohhh the shame... ;)

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com

I reckon you might be right, esp boots and kids' helmets - some might be averse to renting boots this year. Wait and see I guess.

Reactions: CarveMan

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
This will be a season unlike any other that's for sure. Buller will be running at reduced capacity all round which means access to the mountain and lifts will have to be prioritised somehow. I suspect there will be a lot more pi55ed off people once the announcements with regards to this will be finalised and made public.

If I can get a few turns in this season I'd be happy. At one point it really did look like the season was a write off. :)

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Ill say it again, if BSL allows people to buy up volumes of day tickets (like Toilet paper) and does nothing to limit sales to ensure everyone get a fair shot at it then shits going to get real fuckin ugly, and the anger wont end with the end of 2020 season.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Ill say it again, if BSL allows people to buy up volumes of day tickets (like Toilet paper) and does nothing to limit sales to ensure everyone get a fair shot at it then shits going to get real ****in ugly, and the anger wont end with the end of 2020 season.

In fact it would be the same @$## fest if any of the big 5 did this!

bugeater

One of Us
Sep 20, 2017
Anyone know how the parking rules affect the parking season pass? They seem to want to limit car bookings to 200 a day, but if you've got a season pass... no limit?

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Anyone know how the parking rules affect the parking season pass? They seem to want to limit car bookings to 200 a day, but if you've got a season pass... no limit?
A couple of us have asked about this in the Buller trip reports thread, so hopefully we’ll have some clarification soon! :thumbs:

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
It read to me like 200 was the limit including car park season pass holders - but as a season pass holder I'm hoping not! Hopefully Dave can clarify.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass