1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt Buller COVID-19 Resort Details

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by djam, Mar 24, 2020.

1. JuLe

JuLe Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Ah ok sounds great! Sorry if I missed it... is there somewhere I can find the number?

Thanks for your help!

2. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

We drove in this morning. Took me all of one minute, probably less, to fill in details for our car load. Will be great when the online system is up and running but really wasn't that bad. It's always the car in front of you that's gonna slow you down as they fumble around and drop the pen between the seats...

JuLe likes this.
  3. JuLe

JuLe Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Haha and it always has to be the car in front of YOU!

4. xuěboarder

xuěboarder One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

5. motty

motty Hard Yards

Re the total ban on tobogganing in the resort
    Legally are the RMB able to stop you from finding a patch a snow away from the snowplay areas and having a slide? I've never copped any grief when hiking closed areas in the past. Generally ski patrol will come and chat and ask about the conditions.
    I understand the RMB have closed snowplay as it would be impossible to police as far as covid restrictions, which is fair enough. The toboggan areas at peak times are absolute chaos.

What ramifications are there for skiing or tobogganing within resort boundaries but not on open runs? Has anyone had any first hand experience of getting into "trouble" for off piste closed areas or is it just a request to stop? My understanding is the RMB doesn't actually have the legal power to do anything about it but that's all word of mouth.

I've got no interest in being a wanker about it but if I can take the kids for a sneaky slide away from the crowds then it would make the trip worthwhile.

6. xuěboarder

xuěboarder One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I can't speak for powers, but my experience with ski patrol is overly positive. If something is closed, it's usually been to stop punters from getting lost or stuck - classic example is southside bowl if only bull run is running. They're more than happy whenever I've asked, provided you know where to go.
    Goes both ways too - common sense if something is closed for av danger, regardless of how rare it is, stay away.

Obviously doesn't apply to tobogganing in the village though, no clue on that front.

motty likes this.
  7. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

I haven't seen a toboggan all week.

You can ski anywhere, its public land, provided you don't do something that would endanger safety or try to get a lift from a running lift (eg trying to get a ride from bottom of Tirol when it's only technically open from midstation).

Tobogganing is banned in technicality, but I'd imagine it's more a deterrence for people who come just for snowplay, rather than those here to ski.

motty likes this.
  8. motty

motty Hard Yards

Yeah this was my understanding. Just wanted to make sure it was correct.
    As stated I'm planning on being well away the village and others
    Thanks

9. Just up from Merrijig

Just up from Merrijig Early Days

You will very much struggle to hire a toboggan (if you don't own). You won't get a hire on the mountain.

currawong likes this.
  10. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Isn’t resort at capacity most days ? This would make anyone driving up to snow play potentially turned away at the gate or unable to purchase resort entry online?
    I’ve ski toured around Buller on some epic early season days on closed runs and never had a problem, I’d say the same as others if you look like you know what you are doing and not being a dick you are fine.
    This may change in the future with more people starting to get into it.

11. motty

motty Hard Yards

Yeah I've got my own gear. They aren't renting them out. I'll be hiking runs regardless but would be good to give the groms something to do

12. motty

motty Hard Yards

I've got entry but lift passes were never even released due to season pass holders. Don't see how they can turn us away. As I said I'll be boarding but it won't be on bourke st

13. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

Other lifts are opening now

14. motty

motty Hard Yards

Cheers I'll keep an eye on it but nothing available right now. Still got a few days hopefully snowmaking might open up some more terrain

15. jbprophoto

jbprophoto Hard Yards

Getting a bit edgey for our pre-booked 5 day on the mountain stay for July 26th-30th now with Mrs Bunns 10 day outlook up to July14th for Buller. Lift tix are open now for purchase but obviously with reduced capacity and not much snow coverage atm and not much prospect of much snow before the 13th July - it's a bit of a lotto on whether to buy tix atm or not with a two week window of unknowns weather wise. Have never really had to look into the snow guarantee thingy on the MB website and what it entails for a stay in the last week of July for the last 5 years or so. We've always had 30-70 cents to play on for the last week of July for the last 5 years or so. Probably need another 7 days or so to make a call on it but not sure if we have that time due to limited capacity of lift tix - what to do...........

#165 jbprophoto, Jul 5, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 12:59 AM