1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt buller one day trip on 18/08/13

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Awais, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Awais

Awais First Runs

Hi,
    I am planning to visit Mt Buller tomorrow for a day trip only for the very first time. We are looking for beginners ski lessons with no snow experience before. The weather forecast for tomorrow is Blizzards. I am just wondering is this weather okay for a day trip to snow?. Hows the weather or skiing conditions will be alike for beginners?
    Will it be very chilly with less visibility nearby Bourke St etc
    Thanks for help. Cheers

2. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Awful.

First ever day on skis for me as a 14 year old was in a blizzard and I hated it. I never wanted to go skiing again.

Luckily my dad dragged me out onto the slopes kicking and screaming the next way (which was blue skies and sunshine).

As beginners you'll be standing around for long periods of time in a howling gale getting cold and wet.

3. warhol

warhol Hard Yards

We've all memories of learning to ski in snowy cold conditions.

You can be very thankful that ski clothing is generally much better these days, but that doesn't mean that you may not get cold.

Go and enjoy the experience and have fun. It is great fun and fresh snow will be great to learn on too, in that it's softer to fall on and easier to turn on.

If it's snowing, be thankful because it's much better than sleet as you're not as likely to get wet depending on the temperature. In this case you hope that the temperature is going to remain well below zero.

Bourke St is busy like Bourke St, Melbourne once was but is relatively sheltered.

Have a great day.

4. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

You'll have a much better time another day.
    Being in a blizzard isn't fun, especially for a beginner, regardless of whether you can bear it or not.