Mt Buller Summer 2020/21

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
Some info from over there:

Yep not at all silly. Long day but totally doable.

Yep as @LiveToSki mentioned, there are 2 types of shuttles, 1 in the Gravity zone which is the DH riding, and one from Mirimbah at the base of the mountain.

I’d recommend driving to Mirimbah and catching the first shuttle of the day. That gets you up the mountain and gives you good options to ride down at the end of the day.

Here’s a few options:

No shuttles: Drive up to the Village. Depending on fitness you could do a Corn Hill / Misty Twist loop, or a Stonefly loop back to the Village.

MIsty Twist loop took me 1h15 yesterday on my eBike, the Stonefly loop is about 3h on an eBike. Once on Corn Hill you could do a few Misty Twist laps if you want, it’s about a 20-30 min lap, lovely riding in a beautiful landscape. Depending on energy you could also self-shuttle a lap or two of the Gravity trails, it’s about 250m vert up the road.

Riding in the first half of this vid is Misty Twist:

Stonefly is probably the most technically rewarding trail, it’s difficult without being impossible, and the descent has just been re-shaped. It’s in beautiful country and I just love it. You could even do a Misty Twist lap on your way back to the Village if you had the energy.

Shuttles:
1) Shuttle up from Mirimbah, ride DH all day on the Gravity shuttles, ride Delatite Trail back to the car at the end of the day (you will get wet feet before they fix 2 of the bridges)

2) Shuttle up from Mirimbah, do Epic trail. Full day of riding. It’s pretty remote, recommend doing with a partner or take an EPIRB/InReach if solo. Need lots of food, water, spares etc.

3) Shuttle up from Mirimbah, do half day on DH tracks on Gravity shuttle, do Corn Hill / Misty Twist loop, ride Delatite back to Mirimbah.

4) Shuttle up from Mirimbah, do couple of hours on DH tracks on Gravity shuttle, do Stonefly, ride down Circuit Rd / River Spur trail / Delatite back to Mirimbah.

@kylep was just on Trailforks and saw these suggested routes.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/stonefly-and-switchbacks/ - Village to Stonefly to Cornhill to Misty Twist and back to the Village. If you're fit this is the probably the best route to do with no shuttles.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/bike-buller-suggested-loop-2/ - shorter loop, this is what I did yesterday in 1h15 on the eBike. You could loop Misty Twist a couple of times if you wanted to, it's what I do when I'm feeling a bit tired or don't have too much time.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/mt-buller-epic-full/ - Full Epic.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
The web site says: From Saturday 31 October the mountain biking and walking trails progressively reopen, with the full network scheduled to open by 5 December.

Do you know which tracks are not open yet? Are any of the gravity tracks open?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Ohhh a weekly track report! Thanks.
(the graphic still says will be open from Dec 5 - maybe they could change that as we all know, no-one actually clicks stuff to look further than the headline. Or is that just me..)

The graphic, text on the video thumbnail ? That really applies to the shuttles and ATC bike shop/bike hire etc.

Reactions: LiveToSki
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
The road to Summit base is closed, you have to leave the car at the Arlberg. Roadworks continue, plenty of trucks, plenty of hay bails, plenty of large loose rocks alaong the road. The dam is pretty full, sounding like a lake lapping at the shore with the breeze rippling across the surface

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

Kooroora development appears largely complete from the outside. Lumps and bumps for bikes have been set up out the front.

IMG_7033.jpg
IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

Howqua chairlift top station required a little intervention as the door was slamming in the wind and threatening to become an airborne missile, leaving the chairlift interior mechanics to be damaged by the elements. Rime does have Reason occasionally, so Rime’s Slapdash Ski Lift Repairs came to the rescue. SM (Soul Mate) watched from the ground, none too pleased as I climbed up the ladders while lugging a concrete slab in one hand to wedge the door closed, as the latch wasn't lining up. BSL has been notified.

Superb being back this week

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
sure I'm around.

No riding today, did top to bottom and back yesterday with woody, son ran up faster then we rode :mad: 1:20

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
rain is forecast to finished early morning, (~4AM) should be a nice day tomorrow. Did White
Bridge this afternoon, most likely same tomorrow. Kooroora at 17:00 is becoming regular
for a few beers before dinner.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yeah even on the eBike the Stonefly climb is a workout, has a reasonable technical aspect to it as well. I'm going to try to ride it a lot in the next few months, I think it's a great way for me to keep working on my skills.

Reactions: rowdyflat

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
I’m yet to set foot in rebuild
Walked into what I think is the main bar in 2019 (looks like there is a downstairs too?) and walked back out. Zero atmosphere and small. Bit like the day centre with a bar. Ended up going to Alpine Retreat sports bar which was good (still small). They have been doing well since the old HooHah gone.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
So we are looking at going to Buller for Labour day. I see there is a few races etc over that weekend. But I cannot seem to work out what will be closed to the public (and conversely open for us to ride). Is it a bit like the inter schools - busy on the race course runs but the rest of the mountain is empty? I dont really need to go up to watch others race.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Yup probably a good weekend for 'other stuff'.

As soon as Dan releases his iron grip, the next MTB weekend will be promptly planned. Targa weekend was just magic, even with some racing-related restrictions.

Reactions: CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass