Mt Buller Summer 21/22

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
Is Mt Buller like Thredbo with their biking, where you have one main chair lift to take all the punters and their bikes up the hill? Or is it some sort of bus setup?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Is Mt Buller like Thredbo with their biking, where you have one main chair lift to take all the punters and their bikes up the hill? Or is it some sort of bus setup?
Buses. Worksafe decreed that bikes in your lap on the chair wasn’t a particularly good thing. Chair operator breathed a sigh of relief as they didn’t really want to run it anyway.

kasper

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2003
Good news - I for one hope the top section of Delatite river trail/fire trail from the corn hill picnic chair to the box corner access track is fixed or made better for riding the rocks on the fire trail there didn't make it fun at all last few seasons - much better to go down the road.

The other one is extending Woolybut - a nice flowing trail instead of going down the fire trail to Howqua Gap would be great.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Good news - I for one hope the top section of Delatite river trail/fire trail from the corn hill picnic chair to the box corner access track is fixed or made better for riding the rocks on the fire trail there didn't make it fun at all last few seasons - much better to go down the road.

The other one is extending Woolybut - a nice flowing trail instead of going down the fire trail to Howqua Gap would be great.
So here’s my theory.

The grant is for $2m, the total of these works are $1.25m. It’s all refurb stuff so no environmental planning etc required. Just look at the enviro wringer that Warburton MTB has been put through, it’s absurd.

Last October Buller was awarded a $200k grant for planning new trails. I think the $750k balance will be used to build these new trails that will need enviro approval etc etc.

So get in there and do a lot of work, and quickly. Makes sense.

I do know that the top section of Delatite is a big priority, and they are obviously investing in the lower part in this round of works.

Yeah often I’ve been on the fire road going down Woollybutt looking to my left thinking how much nicer it would be as a nice winding singletrack, the short section above Howqua Gap has the nicest berm on Mt Buller.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Buses. Worksafe decreed that bikes in your lap on the chair wasn’t a particularly good thing. Chair operator breathed a sigh of relief as they didn’t really want to run it anyway.
I’d much rather ride a chair as per Thredbo, sitting in a bus next to another biker with not the best of hygiene is not one of my favourite things on a 27 degree day

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I’d much rather ride a chair as per Thredbo, sitting in a bus next to another biker with not the best of hygiene is not one of my favourite things on a 27 degree day
Yep in a perfect world when the chair gets replaced in the next couple of years they will put in a detachable mid-load and bike hangers. One can dream.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
The current triangular gondola plan to replace HH has no mid load at all.

There are 5 sections as part of the new trails, including the top section of the Delatite and extending the gravity trials to the plough shed. I have already cleared the big stuff off that current path to the plough shed a few weeks back, still needs smaller stuff cleared, but you can ride over that stuff. Mostly stuff that fell out of the trees with the earthquake.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

There are 5 sections as part of the new trails, including the top section of the Delatite and extending the gravity trials to the plough shed. I have already cleared the big stuff off that current path to the plough shed a few weeks back, still needs smaller stuff cleared, but you can ride over that stuff. Mostly stuff that fell out of the trees with the earthquake.
I'll have a squizz when the rain stops falling in a few weeks time. Might even do the road rides with the team to start getting fitness happening.

Reactions: djam

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
we did a ski in the morning, ride in the arvo a few days back.. legs need more exercise, was a slow push the last few kilometers

Reactions: CarveMan

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic

Will the shuttle run from the plough shed then?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
no, I don't expect so at this stage, you would use it to continue to Mirimbah droping into the Delatite trial.

If my master plan option goes ahead, then a 3S Gondola will connect the plough shed to the village, you would be back up in 4-5 minutes.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
1633065292680.png

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
So here’s my theory.

The grant is for $2m, the total of these works are $1.25m. It’s all refurb stuff so no environmental planning etc required. Just look at the enviro wringer that Warburton MTB has been put through, it’s absurd.

Last October Buller was awarded a $200k grant for planning new trails. I think the $750k balance will be used to build these new trails that will need enviro approval etc etc.

So get in there and do a lot of work, and quickly. Makes sense.

I do know that the top section of Delatite is a big priority, and they are obviously investing in the lower part in this round of works.

Yeah often I’ve been on the fire road going down Woollybutt looking to my left thinking how much nicer it would be as a nice winding singletrack, the short section above Howqua Gap has the nicest berm on Mt Buller.
What's ended up being the go with Warburton? Sounded great then ... crickets...

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Still stuck in environmental study hell. Government is requiring a higher tier study than what we require for logging and mining for some reason.
Bummer.
I mean, I’ve had half a career in environmental assessment for infrastructure but sometimes I just have to roll my eyes.

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Bummer.
I mean, I’ve had half a career in environmental assessment for infrastructure but sometimes I just have to roll my eyes.
There's a good article on Flow describing the latest status and what they have to do study-wise.
It's not all bad news though, they found out during one of the studies that they had measured wrong and actually gained another 5km of singletrack!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Interesting, is that on the latest Master Plan? I need to take another squiz some time?

3 piece-Gondola systems don’t come cheap?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
some should, all trees removed (cut) on One Tree hill, Gang Gangs and split rock.

Still some holes, some sticks etc on those, I did walk most of them yesterday, clearing crap off them, filling in holes. So ride able. A small amount of snow also on Split rock, but that will be gone before long.

1634519171018.png

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
some should, all trees removed (cut) on One Tree hill, Gang Gangs and split rock.

Still some holes, some sticks etc on those, I did walk most of them yesterday, clearing crap off them, filling in holes. So ride able. A small amount of snow also on Split rock, but that will be gone before long.

1634519171018.png
Fantastic - appreciate your efforts!
How about Deletite, from Tip cnr mainly. Have you had a look there?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Fantastic - appreciate your efforts!
How about Deletite, from Tip cnr mainly. Have you had a look there?

no, don't run that so much these days, used to ride it 4 times a week for many years, when the store ran the shuttle. In the end I was spending too much time gardening then riding. So the last couple of years the Super D ran, the picnic table entry was very sketchy, no line to speak of.

Moore or Less is ride able to the plough shed, though also needs some small stick clean up. There is still the pile of snow at the lower Tirol car park entry, you can jump in on the far side of the car park.

There is a rolling rebuild of all of these trials happening over the summer, they should start that work very soon.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I’m intrigued to see what they do with Delatite - if they incorporate a bit more excitement it could be a worthy Sunday arvo bash.
Yeah right now it’s a ‘twice a summer’ proposition but with a bit of love could be a lot more.

But when the trails get built to the plough shed, and the plough shed connector gets some love, then we’re talking!

• Love
Reactions: FixedGrip

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yeah right now it’s a ‘twice a summer’ proposition but with a bit of love could be a lot more.

But when the trails get built to the plough shed, and the plough shed connector gets some love, then we’re talking!
Just wondering, do these upgrades up the ante on Gondola construction? That’s the proposed bottom station, isn’t it? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

…Covid will slow any likely upgrades…?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just wondering, do these upgrades up the ante on Gondola construction? That’s the proposed bottom station, isn’t it? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

…Covid will slow any likely upgrades…?
Nah there’s is a bunch of grant money for upgrades, $1.25m worth is happening now, mainly refurbishment, but a further $750k has been set aside for new trails, and another ~$250k grant for planning them and getting all the enviro approval.

Reactions: snowgum

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It is great for those beginner- intermediate. We have folks (M19 GF for example) who will not ride some of the others (gang gang etc) but loves Delatite so its great to get her out.
And this is the entire Mt Buller MTB conundrum in a nutshell. The people you are describing need an array of options available to them.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
And this is the entire Mt Buller MTB Beginner/advanced conundrum in a nutshell. The people you are describing need an array of options available to them.
And with MTB, those maintaining the tracks are all MTBérs themselves so like the tough stuff. At least with skiing, the resort realises that there is money in the whole industry at the moment and caters for the beginners as well. But for the tracks, most 'workers' are probably volunteers so work on the stuff they like.

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004

Unfortunately the delatite trail will never be much more than what it is as it has to get shared with the horses who use the trail to get up to river spur.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass