1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Mt Clear Traverse

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Total Whiteout, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

Planning to walk the Mt. Clear traverse this weekend.

Plan is to leave after work on Friday night, head up to Merrijig, then follow the Howqua Track to Sheepyard Flat and spend the night there.

On Saturday morning plan is to leave Sheepyard Flat, head up Brock's Road, past Eight Mile Gap, then down into the Jamieson River Valley, park at Clear Creek, and start walking.

I've read the drive from Sheepyard Flat to Clear Creek is doable in a 2WD, however, can anyone confirm this?

skifree, Tanuki and Edgecrusher like this.
  2. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Sweet.
    It used to be, although I haven't been up there for maybe 7 years? One of the bridges got washed away over the river there, rendering it impassable for 2WDs. Not sure if they grade the road either. Was pretty rocky last time.
    Some pretty solid fishing in the Jamieson up there...had some very solid arvos fishing upstream from the Upper Jamieson Hut.
    Enjoy

Majikthise likes this.
  3. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Call ParksVic in Mansfield to be sure but most of those roads are pretty easy. There are a couple of camp sites further on from Sheepyard Flat if it is too busy.

4. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

They are nicer than sheepyard to imo

5. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

Just spoke to Nigel from Mansfield Parks Vic. He can confirm the roads through to Clear Creek is good right now and a 2WD could handle it.

He says the bridge over the Jamieson came down several years ago but has been fixed for several years.

He also said a big tree came down not long ago but has also now been cleared.

The only thing he said to watch out for was the track up to the Nobs, which apparently is a bit overgrown, but can be navigated with a map and some common sense.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  6. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Glad to hear they've replaced the bridge. There's a good cleared camping site there next to the river but the last time I was up there the bridge was gone. I pulled 7 fish out of the river there one evening after a Land Rover crossed through.

I look forward to reading your TR if you can be bothered, and maybe seeing some pics.
    Hope you don't encounter too many snakes up that way too, although I'm sure you're bound to spot a couple, given the warm weather.

POW_hungry likes this.
  7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I like Eight Mile Flat personally but not a 2wd access. All of the others are better than Sheepyard Flat.

8. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

The ranger seemed to think you could get a 2WD through to slightly beyond Clear Creek, so I imagine the bridge there must be fixed now too.

I'll put some photos up for sure, and a TR if I can be bothered!