1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt Field conditions?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Nerm, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Nerm

Nerm First Runs

Anybody been up to Mt Field yet to check on the weekends snow fall?
    Looks pretty rocky and bushy still from the web cam.

2. slushed

slushed First Runs

I was up there yesterday. anout 10cm cover but drifts up to 40cm or so. It was raining lightly and melting fast. still too many bare patches to link a decent run together anywhere but on the road. keep waiting. its not worth it yet.

3. Nerm

Nerm First Runs

Well looks like a bit of snow on the way in a weeks time. Fingers crossed.

4. slushed

slushed First Runs

hope so. see you up there if it hits.

5. tasskibum

tasskibum First Runs

this weekend looks like............ well get some kind of weather! will it be propably pan out like this, snow/rain/16degree heat.

6. slushed

slushed First Runs

looks like strong Westerlies with some fronts. probably some snow but not sure if it will be enough to meke it worth it yet. It still needs a fair bit more to be any good. If they all drop a bit of snow it could be only a week or so away though.

7. tasskibum

tasskibum First Runs

Thats what people have been saying for the last month or so, they seem to forget that we get 16degree temps between the snowfalls wich totally screws it.

#7 tasskibum, Jul 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. slushed

slushed First Runs

thats the autumn weather pattern - big highs and occasional frounts. the weather pattern seems to be about to change - after this last NW pre frontal it should change to mostly W with some good frequent SW frounts (winter weather pattern). the latest change over i remember was 2nd week of july a couple of years ago. since this is now the 3rd week, we should be as good as its going to get from here (of course - that might still not be very good).

9. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

I think this winter is turning out to be dry in Tas, unless there is decent snow in the next 3 weeks there won't be a base to continue into September when it starts to warm up. Having said that there should be a burst of winter snow sometime soon, whether that is next week or so, end of Aug, Oct who knows.

10. tasskibum

tasskibum First Runs

im putting money on august for any significant falls, but who knows, i remember a metre falling on cradle in december a few years ago. if there is one thing i have leant about tassies weather is that it will do whatever the hell it wants whenever it wants.
    i agree a dry year this year, but it has been like that for the last few years. Oh to remember the old days on ben lomond when huts where buried, jacobs ladder had 2 metre high snow banks and you could shoot the odd tassie tiger.

11. Nerm

Nerm First Runs

#11 Nerm, Aug 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  12. Nerm

Nerm First Runs

It looks awesome for this weekend, with the bureau forecasting snow to low levels on wed, thurs and fri. snowforecast is saying up to 25cm for mt field in the next few days.
    Hopefully they get the road cleared first thing on saturday!

13. Brocken Spectre

Brocken Spectre First Runs

Any updates? Anyone know what Cradle would be like? If only there had been a base. Walls last weekend there was only the odd drift. Mt Field must have copped more than the Ben?

14. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

#14 VSG, Aug 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  15. slushed

slushed First Runs

that doesn't really help - it no workey right now.

16. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

I did hear that Mt Field (from Parks) would be suitable for xc skiing with 1-2 feet of fresh snow. Its a pity that snowcam doesn't get updated often enough.

17. Malkatraz

Malkatraz First Runs

I was planning to head up Walls today but looked out the window and saw that most of the Tiers were all dried up. Cradle would only have snow up fairly high I reckon around kitchen hut etc. Usually there would need to be a dump on Tiers and some on Mt Roland (closest mt to me). There was some this morning on Tiers but nearly all gone now.

#17 Malkatraz, Aug 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  18. Nerm

Nerm First Runs

Went up to Mt Field on Sat 13/8, and it was pretty ordinary. Apparently it rained all friday night, and the snow was very soft and slushy. It was up to about a foot deep in places, but melting fast.
    There was enough to ski up and down the jeep track, but I didn't bother going onto the plateau - weather was windy, warm, and raining.
    My guess is the snow will be mostly gone this week if this warm spell continues.

19. slushed

slushed First Runs

just so you know, the plateau was pretty much bare except where deep drifts had formed. I hung around for a while bud you didn't miss much