Mt Field / Mawson

daveski4ever

Hard Yards
May 25, 2010
Hobart, Tas
Anyone checked the cam for Mawson, it looks like they have got a bit of snow up there, probably not enough to ski/board but hey it is the 4th December and supposed to be Summer. Would be interesting to know just how much they have got,ie enough for a bit of fun at least on the jeep track.

Tassie256

First Runs
Aug 16, 2012
Hobart, Tas
Visit site
Nice coating of snow on mawson, good to see a hand full of people up there making the most of it.

snowcaml000M.jpg

http://mtmawson.info/

Last edited by a moderator:

daveski4ever

Hard Yards
May 25, 2010
Hobart, Tas
I agree, wish I could have gone today but no such luck, anyway top day by the looks of it up there. Would be great to see some more photos from the conditions up there. Hopefully someone will post some pics. Looks like an excellent starting cover. Ben looks like it also has quite a lot of snow. Bring on ski season !!!

oze

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2011
A few pics from Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th.

photo.php

Day shelter at Lake Dobson (Saturday)

photo.php

First part of the walk to the top (Sunday)

photo.php

Jeep track (Saturday)

photo.php

Jeep track short cut (Sunday)

photo.php

Jeep track last corner (Saturday)

photo.php

Mawson tow (Sunday)

photo.php

Mawson tow (Sunday)

photo.php

Mawson summit looking towards uni (Sunday)

photo.php

Mawson summit (Sunday)

Plenty of snow to run Mawson tow. The only rocks showing through on the tow line were the couple you can see on the Mawson tow cam at the bottom. Heaps of rideable area. Didn't have much of a look at Uni tow.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
you'll need a computer
then join photobucket or flickr - the former is easier
then upload pics
then get the address of the pic and paste the address between
in a post

oze

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2011
Cheers for the tip ill try that again.

Mawson Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th.

9258792727_bb8059ddef_b.jpg

Lake Dobson day shelter (Saturday).

9258789865_76bafd9e57_b.jpg

First part of the walk to the top (Sunday).

9261570964_b39bb948f6_b.jpg

Jeep track (Saturday).

9261568486_3781360311_b.jpg

Jeep track shortcut (Sunday).

9261570292_385d78c98b_b.jpg

Jeep track top corner (Saturday).

9261559120_827312c726_b.jpg

Day shelter and Mawson tow (Sunday).

9258778925_cf080bfb62_b.jpg

Mawson tow (Sunday).

9261558194_f1298195e1_b.jpg

Mawson summit (Sunday).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

daveski4ever

Hard Yards
May 25, 2010
Hobart, Tas
Sadly your photos didn't seem to work via flickr. Pity as I would love to see just how good or not the conditions are up there. The Mawson tow cam seems to show that quite a bit of snow has melted with a lot of rocks now showing. Would make it pretty interesting for a ski or board.

RARRRRRRR

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2008
Hobart
The grass and rocks on the cam look different to how I remember them from a few years ago!

Hope it snows soon - otherwise it looks like a trip up to ben lomond is in order.

RARRRRRRR

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2008
Hobart
Went up today
Mt Field is in quite good condition
Wednesday should be amazing
Jeep Track has 30-40 cm of fresh snow
Lots up top (wish somebody had walked up before me... lots of waist deep snow)

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
awesome RARRR...love tassie when its on...how was the boarding? looks like the pack settled down for wednesday!

RARRRRRRR

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2008
Hobart
mr said:
awesome RARRR...love tassie when its on...how was the boarding? looks like the pack settled down for wednesday!

nice and fresh:p one of the better runs down
wasnt enough for snow either rodway or the golden stairs (but im hoping these are doable this week)

daveski4ever

Hard Yards
May 25, 2010
Hobart, Tas
Hey all have you seen how good the snow is looking at Mawson. Skigia report said very good cover, with 10cm snow in the carpark. So I would assume this weekend should be excellent, so long as the tow(s) are running. Would be great to see some photos posted.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
OK so there has been significant dumpage on the big Island but Ben Lomand has not done as well from this system (wrong direction etc etc.).
Can anyone hazard a guess as to how Mawson has faired? I see the webcams have not updated for a week or so.....

S-man

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2002
Kalgoorlie WA
Ha yeah not looking so special in Tas, all these systems have favored the northern most resorts.
Sun/mon is a half decent chance for Mawson, I would check tuesday mornings cam and go from there.

Bish

Hard Yards
Oct 11, 2007
mtmawson.info updates a lot quicker and you can enlarge the pic. Good mountain info too but there is no cam history.

Hi, I look after the mawson web site. A cam history feature is on the to do list for mtmawson.info, proving tricky to implement due to the particular wordpress theme I've built this on.

eehan

Hard Yards
Jul 3, 2011
Hobart, TAS
Hi, I look after the mawson web site. A cam history feature is on the to do list for mtmawson.info, proving tricky to implement due to the particular wordpress theme I've built this on.
Bishwa, could you please contact ski.com.au and work out why their Mt Mawson cams images are no longer updating? They may still be linked to the old website image folder still. I switched off uploading to that a few weeks ago. They run scripts to extract images from whatever webpage you specify. Cheers, Ian.

zar

One of Us
Jun 18, 2004
Melbourne/Hobart
It's also been very mild. Hobart is on track for one of its warmest Julys in terms of average daily maximum temperature.
2004 was a vintage year with drifts of metres in the back country and frozen tarns. That was the last winter season that was reminiscent of the olden days. The climate is changing rapidly here.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Cheers Boodwah, hadn't noticed them before, bodgy looking job I assume because they aren't sunk into the ground?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Cheers Boodwah, hadn't noticed them before, bodgy looking job I assume because they aren't sunk into the ground?
Mt Field NP is basically a boulder field so not much sinking into the ground is possible. Lovely place but not the easiest conditions to facilitate construction :)

eehan

Hard Yards
Jul 3, 2011
Hobart, TAS
Sorry folks... it appears the Mt Mawson webcam stopped working at 10am today. It switches on briefly every hour to upload an image, but the 3G router has not logged in after 10am. This is the first time I've seen this particular issue in the 3 or 4 years it has been in operation. And just as we get a huge snowfall...I intend to take a day off work Friday to go fix, providing there is access to the Lake Dobson Car Park.

Reactions: Majikthise

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Sorry folks... it appears the Mt Mawson webcam stopped working at 10am today. It switches on briefly every hour to upload an image, but the 3G router has not logged in after 10am. This is the first time I've seen this particular issue in the 3 or 4 years it has been in operation. And just as we get a huge snowfall...I intend to take a day off work Friday to go fix, providing there is access to the Lake Dobson Car Park.
Typical technology, fails at the critical moment :rolleyes:

Don't suppose you could provide us an on ground condition report if you do get up there on Friday? I'm debating if I should waste the petrol and drive down from Devonport for a bit of XC on the weekend.....

eehan

Hard Yards
Jul 3, 2011
Hobart, TAS
No probs, will grab some pics, as well as fixing the cam. There is some rain forecast for Friday so not sure how badly that will affect the snow cover.
Will be looking at putting in a small HD "slope cam" whilst I'm there, albeit temporarily for winter. It will be positioned near the Summit, but will have a view towards the South and East, down the slopes and across to Wombat Moor where you drive in. It also has in improved defrost system that heats the glass directly. It gets hot enough after 10 minutes to evaporate water in seconds.
Nearly finished, just working out the biggest shield I can fit over it without getting in the way of the picture.

Tassie_JamJar

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2007
Mt Mawson
Went up today for a look and a ski. Made it through the wind in the car park into the shelter of the trees. About 10cm down low and a foot on the jeep track. Not enough snow for any good lines down the Mawson run. For XC dont think I would drive down from Devonport especially with the warming temps.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Thanks for fixing the Cam eehan. It's not looking quite as inviting as I had hoped. I might try my luck closer to home and have a sticky beak up the Lake MacKenzie road

eehan

Hard Yards
Jul 3, 2011
Hobart, TAS
Thanks for fixing the Cam eehan. It's not looking quite as inviting as I had hoped. I might try my luck closer to home and have a sticky beak up the Lake MacKenzie road

Yes, all fixed. Simple problem : Loose wire. Simple fix too, but also a simple problem that could have been avoided. Anyway I've made sure that won't happen again. Conditions up there were slushy, rapidly melting snow and very high winds and occaisonal rain squalls. Basically, as forecast. Some heavy snow is forecast next week from Sunday night through Wed, but then rain again after that until the weekend. So who knows if we'll be open next weekend, I hope the forecast rain doesn't eventuate.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass