1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt Field / Mawson

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by RARRRRRRR, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Cover starting to build, will be interesting to see how much more we get over the next couple of days, and even more interesting to see how much remains for the weekend.
    Lots of wind coming so hopefully new snow farming fences work well!
    Will tows run this weekend?

2. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looking good up there now

3. DaveAC30

DaveAC30 Hard Yards

I just checked the cam for Mawson, pretty impressive cover from what I can see, especially so early on in May. I can't recall when I would last have had a ski in May here in Tassie. Lets hope this is going to be a really great ski season. Come on Huey, do you best :)
    http://ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/tas/mawson1.html

4. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Pity the forecast for the next few days is looking warm and wet. I hope the white stuff hangs in there but I'm not holding my breath. But hey, it is only May.....

5. DaveAC30

DaveAC30 Hard Yards

Well if anyone is thinking of heading up and can get the day off, I would think today is the day. Bluebird conditions and it looks as if there could be enough snow for a ski or a board, even if it means walking to the top of the run.

6. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Well some lucky soul has done just that, A few lines and an upturned board on the 12:15 webcam shot..... no not jealous at all :blb:

7. DaveAC30

DaveAC30 Hard Yards

Yep just logged on and saw the lines. Bugger. Oh well lucky person(s) who managed to get up there. At least the cloud cover has come in, so perhaps it might help keep the snow there for a couple more days !! Not that I can get up there, so yes am I envious, ROFL:tany::deadhorse:

8. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

4 or 5 days of snow fall coming up for Mt Mawson. Could be a bit of base builder, considering there is still snow from the last event!

9. DaveAC30

DaveAC30 Hard Yards

almontyrat likes this.
  10. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Looking through the snow covered Mt Mawson camera it appears that there may be a fairly good cover up there!

11. The boy from Tas

The boy from Tas Hard Yards

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
    Cant wait to see what this looks like in 3 days!
    [​IMG]

sircrackerjc and Tassie_JamJar like this.
  12. sircrackerjc

sircrackerjc Hard Yards

Got the day off work due to the snow today and went up for a look.

Disappointingly (but understandably) Lake Dobson Rd was closed all day due to continual falling trees on the road. The parks peeps were talking about a car that was stuck up there somewhere and they were contemplating a heli to pull them out so something must of been up. Snowed solidly at the park entrance and was 5+cm settling in a lot of areas.

Not to be out done we tracked on further to Maydena and had some fun sliding down peoples nature strips in 10+cm of fresh snow. Also got a few turns in down some forestry trails and roads. Amazing to see so much white around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S-man likes this.
  13. kiter

kiter One of Us

Looking good today

14. oze

oze Hard Yards

Anyone know if there are plans to run Mawson tow soon? Was up there last weekend and conditions were excellent for tows. Up there 2 weekends before that too and there was plenty to run Mawson then. The recent post on mawson.info sounded like they were ready and keen but now all has gone quiet. It would be a shame to not make the most of it while we can.

Attached Files:

15. S-man

S-man Hard Yards

Yeah it's looking alright hope they get it going.

16. oze

oze Hard Yards

Excellent work by the crew on the mountain to get Mawson tow operating in good time on Sunday but a pity Stornoway were so slow getting the road cleared and there were only a couple of people to enjoy the fresh.
    They must've been getting paid by the hour because it was the most pathetic effort at clearing the road I've seen in my 11 years of visiting.
    They absolutely milked all they could get out of if. The bloke that used to drive the old plough would clear more snow than that in little over an hour and now it takes 3 blokes with 2 ploughs over 4 hours. And that's not including the time it took to get the engineer in and assess the damaged road.
    Luckily we didn't listen to the police officers instructions to clear out when he said the road was not going to open at all.
    So we still had a good couple of hours boarding even if we did miss the prime fresh and get rained on a bit in the arvo.
    Feel sorry for the tow crew that put heaps of work in but only got a fraction of the crowd they would've.
    As we all know they are volunteers and need the revenue from ticket sales to keep the place running.

Gimp likes this.