Mt Hotham: Parking At New Hotham

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Dinner plain... you beat me to it.

My ideas... which I have promoted before.

hotham_alternate_road_access_via_dargo_9_06.jpg

av_gully_parkign_detail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
The Green Gondola is WAY too exposed! It would make the old 1960's chairlift from Thredbo to Charlotte's Pass look sheltered
eek.gif

But I do like the idea of any new infrastructure going to the north of the current road as this would improve access to Mt Feathertop and Mt Loch. VSG last summer I described the skitube railway proposal from the early 80's and you made a map of the route. Do you still have it?

DinnerPlainSkier

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Dinner Plain
Looks good VSG, although I figured if you ran it up to Baldy Hollow and had a mid-station you could keep it close into the hill where it is more protected then across the back to the Corrall Car Park area. Still exposed, but not as much a running it over the top, plus you would pick up an awesome run when the snow is there from summit down to Baldy Hollow

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GoSno

First Runs
Aug 21, 2006
Mt Hotham
VSG /DPSkier; Yes there's always a few solutions. But some issues. Hotham has always had the advantge of 'drive pretty close to your door', the day skiers say 3000pd (in the plan) come from DP(2000pd) and Bright/H (1000pd). The parking plans at Hotham have the resort paying for installation of the day carparks so perhaps the day trippers would pay for the new road but a 1000pd is not many.
However, The skiing down Avalanche is an interesting bonus.
Good to see a bit of creative thinking. Have a look at the village developemnt plan and see where your creativity takes you with that.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
From the planning document.. interested how Hotham residents view this paragraph...

The majority of circulatory routes for vehicles, pedestrians and skiers is associated with the GAR. [ Great Alpine Road.]

Oversnow vehicles, skiers and pedestrians also make use of internal tracks and trails. They need to be well delineated, to maximise safety and enjoyment by minimising amenity and physical conflicts etween pedestrians, skiers and vehicles.
Snow and ice can hamper pedestrian movement.

Elevated walkways have been effective in providing
all-weather walking access and in enhancing visitors’ enjoyment by conferring a sense of travelling over untouched alpine landscape.

In summer, elevated walkways minimise pedestrian impact, thus securing environmental values and promoting sustainability.

Access within the Resort is also affected by poor visibility during the snow season.

To date, Resort signage has predominantly been to assist vehicular movement and parking. Directional signage has been installed at Davenport including Big D and at Mt Hotham Central.

However, it is considered inconsistent in style and lacks legibility across the Resort. This is being addressed outside this draft APS and PPP, including in the Resort’s “Pride of Place†program.

The following three circulation plans illustrate the internal access and movement conditions when
conditions are most restricted (i. e. during the snow season) for the Mt Hotham Central, Big D and
Davenport activity nodes.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
And what is going to be done?

Re-alignment of the GAR as planned in the CDPs will improve vehicle access and circulation as well as
improving pedestrian/skier safety. The GAR realignment in Hotham Village CDP will create a village
heart that is well protected and provides a meeting place for the skiers.
The second GAR re-alignment is in the Davenport GAR Frontage CDP where there is significant
conflict between pedestrians / skiers and vehicles.. The number of cars dropping off visitors and the
lack of parking creates a major bottleneck. The GAR is proposed to be re-aligned also to allow for the
Davenport area to be used for major Resort services such as a swimming pool, commercial facilities,
more hire shops and restaurants by allowing expansion to the north. The slope of this area allows for
direct access from the GAR (to become an all-weather road) into the Big D area. It is envisaged this
area will become the primary focus for summer recreation facilities due to its sheltered nature.
The Davenport GAR Frontage CDP requires all-weather vehicular access to all accommodation sites.
For its southern part, the proposed all-seasons access road (Rodondo Road), permitted by VCAT on 25
January 2005 after a third-party appeal hearing in December 2004, is located almost entirely within the
southern side of the GAR reserve in the Davenport GAR Frontage CDP. This proposed all-seasons
access road is 6 metres wide and 137 metres long, an area of approximately 922 sq. m., and will
implement the planned all-seasons vehicle access to five lease sites: Langi-Taan, Rodondo, Tanderra,
Ettamogah and Higgi Lodges.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
As mentioned in 9.2 above, the Tantani Lodge site in Davenport is considering underground on-site
parking in its redevelopment. The same opportunity to comply with Clause 22.06-1 of the Alpine
Resorts Planning Scheme “to maximise the ability to provide on-site parking from all weather roadsâ€
applies to their site and the other four sites within this part of the Davenport GAR Frontage CDP –
Karnulurra to the north and Asgaard, Koomerang and Kalyna to the south.
Providing a grade-separated access to these sites is essential as the oversnow route along Davenport
Drive is to be maintained. Two possible solutions to its grade-separation involve:
Ø a constructed elevated snow way along the existing Davenport Drive route, over the proposed
access road and possibly garaging; or
Ø the elevated snow way over a series of simple access driveways.
A grade-separated proposed Asgaard Road (Figure 7) can be achieved off the Great Alpine Road. It
can achieve the planned all-weather vehicle access for on-site carparking to the five sites here within
the Davenport GAR Frontage CDP. It could also serve up to a further four sites on the western side of
Gallows Court in the Oversnow CDP – Jalanga, Players, Dolomite and Pegasus.
The proposed grade-separation will reduce present intermodal conflict and give more safety and
enjopyment to skiers. This proposed road also can offer a firebreak, and improved fire-fighting access,
for any future fire coming up the slope from the Dargo Valley to this part of Davenport.
hothparking_diag_7.jpg

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
SkieratHotham said:
As I have said before it seems to me that this is urbanisation to give cars precedence over good design and skiers in the resort.
Mmmm.. and save lives? and make it easier to get to your accommodation? and not be run over whilst skating down the GAR to get to Blue Ribbon or Big D?

The second GAR re-alignment is in the Davenport GAR Frontage CDP where there is significant conflict between pedestrians / skiers and vehicles.. The number of cars dropping off visitors and the lack of parking creates a major bottleneck.

The GAR is proposed to be re-aligned also to allow for the Davenport area to be used for major Resort services such as a swimming pool, commercial facilities, more hire shops and restaurants by allowing expansion to the north.

The slope of this area allows for direct access from the GAR (to become an all-weather road) into the Big D area. It is envisaged this area will become the primary focus for summer recreation facilities due to its sheltered nature.

The Davenport GAR Frontage CDP requires all-weather vehicular access to all accommodation sites.

SkieratHotham

First Runs
May 22, 2002
NE Victoria
I believe that simple solutions are generally the best. The KISS principle.

For example the conjestion area around the Jack Frost Hub could be substantially eliminated by moving the GAR slightly to the north to run through where the loading zone and day parking are currenlty located.

This would then free up the land where the GAR is currently for day parking and loading zones hence eliminating the need to cross the the GAR to enter the Davenport Village.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
SkieratHotham said:
I believe that simple solutions are generally the best. The KISS principle.

For example the conjestion area around the Jack Frost Hub could be substantially eliminated by moving the GAR slightly to the north to run through where the loading zone and day parking are currenlty located.

This would then free up the land where the GAR is currently for day parking and loading zones hence eliminating the need to cross the the GAR to enter the Davenport Village.
Mmmm.. not a bad idea. I think its been put up, before.

jack_frost.jpg

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side
VSG said:
This is probably the single best idea that I have seen so far that will accomadate day trippers and still free up land for real esate development in the village proper.

The only input I would add to this is that it will not stop thru traffic coming thru the village to access this carpark, and it will put a huge strain on the buses tothe main ski area.
This bus traffic could be reduced by running snowmaking on the davenport access trail and by installing an access lift to get people back to the carpark....

But...if this is where the carpark is, the village focus will shift to here, as this is where daytippers will wnat facilities, food, ski hire, shelter, toboggan slope etc etc. ...then you are back at square one.

My idea is to try and keep the cars to the side of the mountain they come in from ie harrietville cars to the "village side" and DP cars to the davenport side. This will reduce thru traffic and spread bus passenger traffic to run in both directions.

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Who ever said that Loch carpark was never used:
P8130791.sized.jpg

and look at the potential of this area.....

Still say a lid should have been put on the dam, developed and used as a alternate carpark/hub for intermediate skiers/boaders and back country access.

With the move of the workshop, we can kiss whats left of this carpark goodbye.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Rover said:
Originally posted by VSG:
[qb] ...My idea is to try and keep the cars to the side of the mountain they come in from ie harrietville cars to the "village side" and DP cars to the davenport side. This will reduce thru traffic and spread bus passenger traffic to run in both directions.
Mmmm.. how about a zoo cart?
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
Rover said:
This is probably the single best idea that I have seen so far that will accomadate day trippers and still free up land for real esate development in the village proper.

The only input I would add to this is that it will not stop thru traffic coming thru the village to access this carpark, and it will put a huge strain on the buses tothe main ski area.
This bus traffic could be reduced by running snowmaking on the davenport access trail and by installing an access lift to get people back to the carpark....

But...if this is where the carpark is, the village focus will shift to here, as this is where daytippers will wnat facilities, food, ski hire, shelter, toboggan slope etc etc. ...then you are back at square one.

My idea is to try and keep the cars to the side of the mountain they come in from ie harrietville cars to the "village side" and DP cars to the davenport side. This will reduce thru traffic and spread bus passenger traffic to run in both directions.
That is the most logical reasoning I have seen against the current proposal. The developer dosen't give a crap thosugh, they are dump and drop. Could we end up with a Village area at the top which is basically a dead area?

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
How many Victorians come to Hotham via Omeo?
melb_to_omeo.jpg

As an ACT person, it's a moot point. although I have toyed with the idea of the Cooma > Cann River Valley Hwy, Orbost, Bairnsdale etc... approach.
smile.gif

cooma_omeo.jpg

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
i am not saying to stop thru traffic, just to restrict it.

Living in Dandenong, I use the omeo approach where-ever possible....generally on my way home as I stay in Harrietville and drive up after work via the Hume.

GoSno

First Runs
Aug 21, 2006
Mt Hotham
Rover said:
Where would i find the "charter" of the RMB....surely there may be a conflict of interest
Rover, there is a lot of stuff under publications on www.mthotham.com.au and also on the DSE website under Alpine Resorts. Also have a look at the Alpine Resorts Co-ord Council - ARCC. That will keep you busy for a few months.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass