Trip Report Mt Hutt - Maybe

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
It's been a while since I last posted a TR which has more trials and tribulations getting to the slopes than on it. Time to deliver !

The Plan

Drive from Canberra to Sydney airport.
Fly Sydney to Christchurch
Pick up a 4WD hire car
Drive to Methven
Stay at the pub
Ski Mt Hutt (if open), otherwise sample the delights of the pub
Head back home

Seems easy yeah ? Well in true DSNS fashion it has been anything but clear sailing.

The Execution

Travel during COVID times sucks, it really does. A while back I had to travel via the plaguelands (aka Tullamarine airport) and this has caused me nothing but grief. First up the WA Police were sending me text messages telling me to quarantine immediately until I get a negative COVID test even though I was back home in the ACT. So I went for a test which came back negative... was masked up all the time I was in the transit gate, I've been vaccinated and no-one that was positive went through the airport as far as I can tell.

Then I checked the ACT, NSW, Australian and New Zealand health websites for travel advice. I'm still in 'the bubble' and don't need to be tested. However, Qantas had a different view on matters and texted me saying I needed a negative test no later than 72 hours before departure. Go to the GP for a referral, go and get tested, go back to the GP for the result and write up the result. Negative...was masked up all the time I was in the transit gate, I've been vaccinated and no-one that was positive went through the airport as far as I can tell.

While I was getting swabbed, I noticed that my car had a flat tyre. Off to the tyre place this morning for 2 new tyres so I can drive to Sydney tomorrow.

Then I rode to work from the tyre place. Halfway to work my bike tyre also had a deficient volume of air in it. No worries, I carry a spare. Oh, that doesn't hold air either. I can patch it ! Oh, the glue tube has more air in it than the tyre. Time to throw the bike on the front of the bus, success !

I always like to carry a bit of cash on me just in case. It's a 2 week leadtime to get some in Canberra. No one is carrying any NZD in cash. So I'm going to scour the Sydney and Christchurch airports for somewhere to exchange some Aussie for Kiwis dollars on the way through. Otherwise I'll need my cards to work.

Plague Paperwork

So far:
  • A negative COVID test result
  • NZ Ministry of Heath Quarantine-Free Travel confirmation
  • Australian Government Department of Home Affairs travel declaration
So What Does the Weather Look Like ?

Could be better to be honest.

1623382718354.png

Some time will definitely be spent in the pub !

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I need to change the SIM card in my phone for the first time since, well, before the zombie apocalypse.

Where on earth did I put that little thingy that looks like a half a paperclip ???

Also just had to look up NZ power plugs.

So rusty doing this.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I need to change the SIM card in my phone for the first time since, well, before the zombie apocalypse.

Where on earth did I put that little thingy that looks like a half a paperclip ???

So rusty doing this.
Rusty? It’s June, try daft.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017

So rusty doing this.
You can just use an unbent paper clip, or a pin…

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Today’s taxi

8A27F367-3ABE-401C-B39F-303D497A485D.jpeg

It’s like a ghost town in International, most of the shops in the terminal are closed.

E8495B28-86E1-4390-A6AA-33419C026253.jpeg

Managed to get some NZD at the airport, wow they see you coming.

They are now only interested in people who have been in Victoria since 25 May and the spots the plague carriers went through to Queensland.
They do have ATM in NZ...
And eftpos.

Advanced Kiwis eh

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
How wonderful. I hate the way Macquarie Airports (now Sydney Airports Group) turned the terminal into a cross between Paddy's Markets and Westfield. Singapore does terminal shopping so much better.
My comment was more the desertion. Hard the get that pre-holiday excitement going.

Reactions: sara777

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Interesting first impressions of NZ.

The countryside driving here reminds me of farms of Hokkaido
The accommodation reminds me of my early stays in the Cooma Alpine Hotel
The mountains remind me of flying over Alaska

Looking forward to see what tomorrow brings.
And they have credit cards!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
All lifts on wind hold. Mt Shut earning its name.
You’ve done well so far - even just to be allowed in to Unzed. Then to get actual up the hill.

As for shut lifts: it reminds me of my only day ever on Mt Hutt in 2004.
- No chairs running, 100K winds, ‘ice-nados’ moving down the piste, t-bars on hold, road closed to down traffic at 4pm, holed up in the base-bdg. for 6 hours, driving down at 10pm, snowing to Methven, next day, snowing at CH airport as a parting :D

I note Hutt is a big raw mountain - enjoy the good weather windows DSNS! :thumbs:;) Expect anything - as you are I see!

I also note we got our POW fix at Cardrona early in our road trip. :cool:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Enjoy the ‘buckets’ of coffee in NZ - I swear I need about double the shots ~ 5-6 in NZ to maintain strength in a bucket!

A new meaning to ‘all day coffee?’

scones look good - nice to rest after scamming to pack, customs, flight, cars?

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
In fairness today looks dire .
days before and after look ok.

I had several trips to Mt Hutt from 1980 to 1990 with many great days amongst them, but also too many days hanging out in Methven often with the sun shining but looking up at the mountain seeing wind plumes, plus a few other days of early mountain closure due to rapidly increasing wind and subsequent white knuckle bus rides down the mountain on icy roads.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
You probably already figured this one out, just take your own. :)

Normally at a big South Island field I'd ask whether you had met anybody on the lifts who was NOT from Australia. This year I dare say it will be different.

Am enjoying your report, not the bad news I mean, just reading about your adventures and missing NZ myself.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
I've been stuck on lift in the wind at Hutt & was actually a bit scary. Wished I was carrying my 15m throwbag so could self rescue of the chair.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Ok, that was pretty good for early season conditions. Mainly looped the Summit chair. All on-piste skiing with a variable playing surface.

Was skiing above the clouds.

A919DB68-A4CE-40B3-9418-0B11F60911D4.jpeg

9D6E754F-EF52-4451-AA1C-F500BBE87DB0.jpeg

Managed 10k vertical which I’m pretty pleased with.

CFE33C41-D1A5-4B38-9D0C-CA492B4E8129.png

Will be good to come back here in August when the whole hill is open :)

1623644458097.png

Tomorrow is a travel day. Might have time for a quick ski on the way back to Christchurch. Will mull that decision over a handle of guiness at the Irish Pub.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Ok, that was pretty good for early season conditions. Mainly looped the Summit chair. All on-piste skiing with a variable playing surface.

Was skiing above the clouds.

A919DB68-A4CE-40B3-9418-0B11F60911D4.jpeg

9D6E754F-EF52-4451-AA1C-F500BBE87DB0.jpeg

Managed 10k vertical which I’m pretty pleased with.

CFE33C41-D1A5-4B38-9D0C-CA492B4E8129.png

Will be good to come back here in August when the whole hill is open :)

1623644458097.png

Tomorrow is a travel day. Might have time for a quick ski on the way back to Christchurch. Will mull that decision over a handle of guiness at the Irish Pub.

impressive vert achieved - on my teles/para combo 4-5K is a big day! ;)

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Snow Report Last Updated: Tue 15 Jun 05:51 AM

Morning cloud breaking and sunny spells developing, though a chance of afternoon light snow shower. Northwesterlies, strong about the upper slopes.

At 6am we have clear skies and unlimited views across Canterbury with occasional high wind gusts over the summit. Forecast is for stronger winds over the summit first thing then easing back, we will be monitoring our Summit Six chair and we might experience wind holds throughout the day. Conditions are VERY ICY off-trail where high consequence slides are possible - please stay on the groomed runs today.

Rolls over and goes back to sleep...

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
That's 3 laps no one else here would have done. Winner. :cool:
TBH my morning skiing plans were a casualty of travel in a post COVID world. The hire car industry has been battered and bruised. The drop off depot for the place I hired through. is in the process of being relocated due to lack of demand. I also needed to drive around to the home of a guy that took me out to the airport in time to be back for a job interview after being laid off due to COVID. Hope he gets it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass