1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Mt Margaret - Victoria

Discussion in 'National Parks' started by jnldroge, Jul 13, 2014.

1. jnldroge

jnldroge First Runs

Hi interested on heading to Mt Margaret, marysville, Vic with some friends and our siberian huskys is there any way to know when there will be snow? Any one in the area who could keep me updated at moment we are looking at going Sunday 27th July for the day with a walk on mountain then lunch in one of the nearby towns.

Would greatly appreciate any assistance as cannot find a site to show snowfall.

Jessica
    [- email deleted -]

#1 jnldroge, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Quite a number of people went there yesterday, including the Sled Dog Club (?). I think they took about 20 dogs that ran their sleds successfully along Blue Range Road (which is seasonally closed to vehicular traffic). The contact guy is called Ian. The event yesterday had been organised well in advance and fortunately there was good snow for them. With Mt Margaret, the thing is to go up after recent snowfalls to reasonably low levels, as it doesn't hold snow throughout the winter.
    Give me a call on 5963 7029 during business hours a couple of days prior to your intended visit and I should be able to give you a reasonable guesstimate of your chances of finding snow. (Please don't phone on weekends)

Best way to get there is via Buxton, rather than Marysville. Take towels - lots of them - to dry the dogs off before they get back into your car. Also take snow chains for your car, even if it's 4WD as there is zero snow clearing.

And please delete your email address from your above post - not a very good idea unless you want lots of spam mail.

#2 teckel, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    EskiMojo and Luko like this.
  3. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of snow at the moment and if it stays cold it should be ok in a couple of weeks. Can be tricky passing other vehicles in some places when the road is well covered, 4WD/AWD + chains would be good insurance.
    [​IMG]

Equus and teckel like this.
  4. Luko

Luko One of Us

Almost went up there yesterday but went to Mt Donna Buang instead with the family. Wish I'd gone to Mt M instead and avoided the crowds and idiocy! Make sure to post up pics if you do go and report back on the road conditions

5. jnldroge

jnldroge First Runs

Thanks heaps we are trying for Sunday the 27th of this month

6. jnldroge

jnldroge First Runs

Thank you for all your info, yeah the Siberian Husky club went up but sadly only members of the club are now allowed on there snow walks.
    It's fine though as myself and some others are happy to go up we just wanted to find a way to see if there would be snow.
    If I could call the 18th? The Friday 2 days before we come up that would be fantastic and will most likely be stopping at same place the husky club uses to get chains and food and gear if anyone needs it =D (which I think is you're shop teckel)

Thank you again to everyone for info and we will def post photos

jess

7. teckel

Yes, that's me, Jess. :D
    Quite a few years ago (well before the 09 fires), I was directing people how to get there (the locals' 'secret stash') on a day when they had closed the LM gates. A lady was standing in the background and was getting very excited at what I was saying. She asked if it was national park or state forest, and if she could take her Sibes there. Since then, it's become pretty popular with the Sibes and Mals. Maybe they used it before? But I like to think it was me who inspired it ;) (I used to breed and show Mini Long Dachshunds, so I have a lot of empathy for dog people).
    Yes, give me a call on the 18th. Early afternoon would be best. I like your chances.

#7 teckel, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  8. Elin

Elin First Runs

does anyone know whether there would still be snow if i went up to mt Margret this weekend?

9. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looking at the LM cams this arvo, I'd say, for sure, plenty. Go.

teckel likes this.
  10. keschey

keschey Hard Yards

Hi hoping someone can let me know if I can still expect snow at Mt Margaret this weekend. I'd love to take my dog there!

11. Luko

Luko One of Us

I saw Mt Donna Buang still has 20cm up top today, so I would expect Mt Margaret to still have some. Think there is snow forecast for Sunday too.

12. GS

Was plenty last weekend and it's stayed cold so should be some about.
    At the moment can still see snow on Donna Buang from down in the valley.

13. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

#snow2015

14. Richard

---- 2016 Trip Reports ----

15. lodojames

lodojames Hard Yards

Planning a trip up with our dalmatians this Sunday. Looking like heaps of snow to fall on Friday?

16. Vertikar

Vertikar Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Was looking pretty good on Sunday, should be even better this weekend I imagine
    Here's some pics from when I was up there:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Equus and ladycamper like this.
  17. lodojames

lodojames Hard Yards

We made the trip up Saturday and it was great, just got dark too quick.

We are planning to go again on Saturday, surprised how much the dogs loved the snow

ladycamper and Vertikar like this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

How is the road up to Mt M.? Do you need a 4 WD with chains?

ladycamper likes this.
  19. GS

A normal car can easily drive up when the road is clear of snow, 4WD with clearance required after any decent snowfall. I've never needed chains, but good insurance to have along just in case.

20. teckel

I regularly send 2WDs up there in winter, but always advise that they carry and fit chains when there's been recent snow falls. Also advise 4WDs to carry chains 'in case'.

Best approach is via Buxton, rather than Marysville.

ladycamper likes this.
  21. Richard

---- 2017 Trip Reports ----

22. lodojames

lodojames Hard Yards

Planning to go up early next week since expected snow this weekend. Can anyone confirm if there is anything on the ground?

Here's a pic from last year with the dalmatians

Attached Files:

Equus and teckel like this.
  23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Lake Mtn snow cam. shows zero REAL snow in the car park. I would go by that.

24. lodojames

lodojames Hard Yards

Thanks for that. Hoping this weekend it gets a bit and can travel up tuesday. Keen to let the dogs run again

25. teckel

There's nothing there at the moment. Call my shop on Monday and I'll have some idea of what may or may not be on Mt Margaret.

26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt. Torbreck is effing steep up the last 2 kms to the top but it is much higher up than Mt. Margaret is. It is located in a state forest so it is 'dog friendly'. You will have to leave the car at Conn's Gap road and slog it up the hill on foot/ kahtoola microspikes to the Barnewall plains picnic ground because the gates are locked now.
    We saw signs of domesticated canine perambulation out there last white season in 2016.

ladycamper likes this.
  27. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Dogs might like sleep over at Mt Wills Hut...

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  28. Nicole Mattick

Nicole Mattick First Runs

Hi everyone, I'm new to Victoria and currently in Wodonga. I'm looking for somewhere to take my dogs to the snow tomorrow or Friday for a day trip. Don't mind driving to get there - we have travelled much of Oz and are all very used to being in the car. I'm just struggling to find somewhere that the dogs are allowed to go. None of us have ever been to the snow but we do have a 4WD and a lot of common sense with 4WDing (just not in the snow). Can also get snow chains too obviously as is generally required. PLEASE does anyone have any suggestions? This has been a dream for a very long time and we won't be going if the dogs can't come with us.

29. teckel

Mt Margaret is too far for you if you live in Wodonga, (and it currently doesn't have any snow). Ask on the Falls Creek, Hotham or Buffalo forums.

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt. Wills is not in a Nat. park or State forest so I do think dogs are permitted there.
    Mt. Wills is ideal for dogs and snow. It is not that far from the Dong. Take snow chains, know how to fit them and leave the car on the Omeo hwy. at the Mt. Wills dirt track junction if the snow has been heavy over that section of the road. The Hut is superb and you can stay the night there :). Even in bad weather you can follow the management track past the gate at the Tallangatta ski club hut until you reach the hut. Be prepared for extreme conditions up there at any time of the year.You can also rent the Tallangatta ski club hut , just call the club and find out what the deal is.
    Mulhauser spur track on the Mitta Mitta side of Mt. Bogong is also outside the Nat. park limits for some of the way. You 'd need a real 4 WD with chains and a chainsaw if you are going there in white season.Forum Member Ubi. Steve can tell you about the Stoney Tops approach to Mt. Feathertop. It is outside of the Nat. Park.

31. Yohans

Yohans Hard Yards

Suggest you contact someone from the sled dog racing http://sleddogchallenge.com

They may have better ideas. Note there is an event at Dinner Plain in a few weeks.

32. Verity

Verity First Runs

Hi is there any snow up there now?? I am driving a holden cruz do you think it could make it with chains?? I really want to take my dog up to snow and get photos but i am wary of driving up to dinner plain as its do far away. Mt margaret might be an easier drive??

33. GS

Welcome to the forums!

I would expect some snow to be up there at the moment. If your car has all wheel drive then should be ok with chains.

34. teckel

They were fitting chains at the gate to Lake Mountain today. I'd be pretty sure there'd be plenty of snow on Mt Margaret. Yesterday, some customers found snow at Matlock. The best thing to do would be to fit your chains when you first get snow on the road, then drive as far as you feel comfortable. Then don't go any further, but turn around and park on the side of the road.

GS and Chaeron like this.
  35. matthewb

matthewb First Runs

Hi all, anyone been up in the last few days?

Daughter wants to go and build a snowman ⛄️ !

Thx.

36. teckel

There was plenty of snow earlier in the week. I would suspect there is still quite a bit especially in the sheltered areas.

37. keschey

keschey Hard Yards

Hello, just wondering if there's still any snow. I gathered it's rained a bit during the week, but then maybe mt Margaret is getting some of the snow forecast at lake mountain today tomorrow? I would love to take my dog up on Saturday or Sunday, but last time we left it this late it was just mud.

38. teckel

There would be no snow left from that which fell nearly 2 weeks ago. Lake Mountain got over 100mm of rain which pretty much wiped out all snow from that system. Mt Margaret would have been the same.
    I wouldn't go on Saturday - it could be quite dangerous and possibly unpleasant. Sunday should be an ideal day for better weather and good snow cover.

39. keschey

keschey Hard Yards

Thanks for the tip teckel, we went today instead and there was plenty of fresh snow and blue skies!

Equus, teckel, Vertikar and 2 others like this.
  40. Vertikar

Vertikar Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Went up for some snow play and a drive on the 9th, was good up there then!

Equus likes this.
  41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am definitely going to scout out the Mt. Margaret road coming in from Buxton. It seems to join Lady Talbot drive up to the closest point one can get to Keppel's hut in winter . I have a suitable vehicle. The plan for white season 2018 is to hike in and set up a camp at Keppel's hut and hike up to the Boundary hut ruins trail with skis and stocks and ski Lake Mtn. without paying the car entry fee $112 for two days of skiing in 2018.If I must wear a balaclava to evade being recognized by the ski patrol then so be it!.

Vertikar likes this.
  42. Ubiquitous Steve

Noli sinere malos insolentesque te vexare.

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That snow cover in that photo looks skiable!

44. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

45. teckel

If you go up higher than some of the people today, quite possibly. Although 4WDers may have used it for their "fun" (ie: wrecking it) since it's a Sunday.

Simon11 likes this.
  46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Blue Range road fanning out from Mt. Margaret Gap and the terrain up McFadyens track both sit at 1200-1300 M. ASL . McFadyen's track starts just past Keppel's hut. I think it could still have skiable BC XC snow. However the slog up to Keppel's hut could be muddy and slushy . If you have got the legs for it then with an early start it could feasible as a day tour. You need to XC ski a couple of days early in the season above 14- 15- 16 kms to know what your range is and see if you can build on that. It is best to look at these options immediately after a big dump of snow that falls low , such as what we recently have had.

47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

This coming weekend will be THE weekend for Mt. Margaret BC XC skiing to Keppel's hut , IMHO.

Simon11 likes this.
  48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Even Mt. Margaret Gap in up to 90 cms of snow this weekend could become iffy with fallen trees & deep snow causing even high clearance 4 x 4 vehicles to become stuck in D E E P fresh uncompacted snow. It will be amazing and possibly disastrous at the same time.
    :-0
    Remember snow chains are useless in deep and uncompacted snow. Snow tyres are not much help either.The snow balls up under your car until the car cannot move. Just like cheap and nasty snow shoes but worse.

49. Staceyjamie

Staceyjamie First Runs

Hi there. I have a feeling it’s a bit late but would love to take our dog to the snow for his first time this weekend. Any snow left at mt Margaret?

50. Ubiquitous Steve

Teckel can best answer this.....I would just go anyway....I think the weather will be good on Saturday ....I thought I saw 19degs.Take Fido for a long walk....they like the snow!

Maybe take a portable bbq. Some firewood....dogs like bbqs just as much as snow!

Staceyjamie likes this.