Trip Report Mt Margaret - Victoria

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
8C44B848-955D-4874-968F-2554D95AA077.png
Good weather is comming ....four days approaching 20degs in Melb.
Mt. Margaret should have nice weather on Saturday .

Check fir any signs of dingo baiting in the areas....contact DSE is always advisable ....
Because I think I recall some signage on approach to Keppels Hut indicating such!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The snow line near Dinner Plain has crept up to 1500 M. .Flour Bag Plain was 95 % green this morning and that is situated at 1450 M. or so. My guess is that with the warmer sun and milder weather the snow party is almost over at some locations and certainly Mt. Margaret Gap (1200 M. ) is not going to be snowy at all.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
The snow line near Dinner Plain has crept up to 1500 M. .Flour Bag Plain was 95 % green this morning and that is situated at 1450 M. or so. My guess is that with the warmer sun and milder weather the snow party is almost over at some locations and certainly Mt. Margaret Gap (1200 M. ) is not going to be snowy at all.
LM still has natural snow on the ground at 1300m. I reckon there'd be some in the shady protected areas at Mt Margaret still. The nights are freezing it up, so it's not really disappearing. There was snow a couple of days ago on Mt Ritchie, just south of LM. 1200m.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
LM still has natural snow on the ground at 1300m. I reckon there'd be some in the shady protected areas at Mt Margaret still. The nights are freezing it up, so it's not really disappearing. There was snow a couple of days ago on Mt Ritchie, just south of LM. 1200m.
Lake Mtn. is going to get some more snow on about Thursday and Friday next week. If it happens then Mt. Margaret Gap will get some too.
http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain

Skiain

Addicted
Sep 5, 2002
SE Australia
Did a quick trip to Mt Margaret after an early start on the trails at Lake Mountain yesterday. The day was relatively warm and there was no significant snow, just patches left in the shade or under cover.

View to Gerraty's from just below Mt Margaret. The extent of the devastation of the 2009 fires is still impressive, and scary.

FB_IMG_1567333268328.jpg

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Where was that photo taken from?Yes there are dead trees ....millions of them causing headaches for the road and track system!Mt Margaret Rd is rather good though ...about 10km of nicely aligned mountain road.
The forest age structure has been really buggered by that scorching fire !

Reactions: Skiain

bugeater

Hard Yards
Sep 20, 2017
Tried to find my way up Mt Margaret today to find some snow for the kids, but probably shouldn't have followed Google Maps. It took me via Lady Talbot Drive, which is closed off. Fallen trees and track condition I think the sign said. I assume the only reasonable way in is via Mt Margaret Road? But I suspect there isn't much up there - it was raining a lot all afternoon.

Then headed to Matlock, where I've found snow on the side of the road before, but the kid's morale was low by this point and it was getting late, so never got to the highest parts of the Warburton-Woods Point Rd before we turned back. Never saw a spot of snow.

Pulled over on the Reefton Spur on the way down because my youngest was car sick. Looked over the edge and saw a car way down the very steep slope. No signs of anyone down there, but reported it to the authorities just in case.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mt Margaret Road?
Mt.Margaret Gap is only accessible these days via Mt. Margaret road. The Blue Range road( turn left at Mt. M. gap) is higher and there may be some snow that has not been driven on by 4 WD users on if you park near the Green Hill Track and walk a tiny bit up the Green Hill Track. Buy the Rooftops Map of the area. It was researched in 2018.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Nobody can get over the Great Divide from Metro Melb!The psychos think that one can catch the virus when you spend the entire day isolated in the forest after getting the days supplies in Melb.
Woodstack was full a couple of weeks ago...hopefully it still is.The seasons gate will get closed before anybody else gets up there from Melb.

Capt.Covid,Foolhardy Foley and Beastly Brett have devised a way to send us all crackers !

The Lyrebirds will go into withdrawal without the harmony of our chainsaws to listen to.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Did Teckel top it up?
@teckel is busy getting her shop ready for an uncertain 2021 snow season at Lake Mtn. and Mt. Margaret.
She is justifiably concerned and anxious that the Wise apes in Spring street will lock up all of Melb. for months and there goes her biggest winter income stream.

These VIC. Lockdown obsessed politicians do not grasp the financial hardships and the psychological impact Lockdown 4.0 is causing countless people across the state . Rant over.......( for now ;-P )

Reactions: teckel

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
D119E68C-1EAA-4EBC-8224-0114D056D6B9.jpeg
Hopefully the wood shelter .pictured above when we had the last big dump is still full!Big blocks need axe to split,
Please replace used wood if your fortunate enough to get 4x4 there before the gates get locked.Plenty of fallen timber on the roads /tracks driving in.All wood sourced from fallen trees obstructing the access routes.Such a nice photo!
I doubt Team Bears will get a chance to drive in again before the gates get closed after the QBWk.Some smaller split timber was placed inside hut too.Present status of wood supply unknown !

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hopefully the wood shelter .pictured above when we had the last big dump is still full!Big blocks need axe to split,
Please replace used wood if your fortunate enough to get 4x4 there before the gates get locked.Plenty of fallen timber on the roads /tracks driving in.All wood sourced from fallen trees obstructing the access routes.Such a nice photo!
I doubt Team Bears will get a chance to drive in again before the gates get closed after the QBWk.Some smaller split timber was placed inside hut too.Present status of wood supply unknown !
A nice photo :) .I did the right thing going for a XC ski at LM on May 16th 2021. It could be the last ski for a while. I think Capt. Killjoy a.k.a Stairman Dan and his mob in the Vic. State Lockdown authority ( Govt. ) hate skiing , Small Business and the mental health benefits of the bush.
;-P

Rallyboy on snow

Early Days
Jun 5, 2021
I stoped and checked on 4WD’s pumping
there tyres up at Lady T and Blue range rd
on the Sun arvo of the last dump that came
from Keppel Hut.
Big smiles all round!

Reactions: teckel

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Keschey’s dog I think from his 2017 picture!Yes bit hard to make the form of the creature from front on!
August 20th 2017 according to previous posts!
Perhaps its Brett Sutton’s vision of the Covid BeastB1.617!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Oh nice....Mr T will like that picture....tell me more.How far did you get out along there?Team Bears can take care of the protruding ends pretty quick once we get let out of this penal colony on the Sthn side of the divide.
Mr T might even have a practice at those from the top of the bank having assessed any possible slide/roll etc etc.Looks like some hard work has been undertaken with initial works.But DSE may get them before we do!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Made it to Lady T to find a very serious
result of our latest WARM storm front
If a trip up there was going to be worth it for some Rock hopper XC skiing then Early on 9/6/21 would have been the day and time. In fact Lake Mtn. was looking prime yesterday morning and there was no gate fee. Surely you could have had sickie and XC skied!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Then after a short walk down Lady T
the trip to Keppel Hut seemed slim
before the gates are shut!
You could have given the Boundary track a go. It starts up on The Blue range track and is a shorter and quicker route to Keppel's hut. DEWLP have cleared it with a heavy piece of machinery but I would guess it would be full of fallen poles now . The Team Leader spent a lot of time and effort up there trying to get it up to grade for Mtn. Biking and XC ski access.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Oh...nice pictures.....So Mt Margaret/Blue Range Rd open to Boundary/Greenhill Track Junctions.With some debri to negotiate.Lady Talbot has tree fall blocking access?That tree that came down close by Greenhill Track is about where I park sometimes....better it’s down now!!

It might be good if DSE targets potential dangerous trees at that junction.That’s where folk will park sometimes when they come to see snow fall/ski/most winter things!!
Both gates will be closed within the week.But folk may park there snow conditions permitting.Probably better for DSE to drop some potentially dangerous beasts!Only a targeted “elimination strategy”at that area!Sounds like Covid talk;);)

Reactions: Rallyboy on snow

Rallyboy on snow

Early Days
Jun 5, 2021
DAB237A9-2199-4C3B-9918-7F5C210A1458.jpeg
0A488934-4506-4A06-A80D-94A3BA7122F8.jpeg
DA25B784-1D92-4E67-B885-43857DDB53F5.jpeg
7F21347E-A6D2-466B-BE5F-8FB8B1B3929A.jpeg

Oh...nice pictures.....So Mt Margaret/Blue Range Rd open to Boundary/Greenhill Track Junctions.With some debri to negotiate.Lady Talbot has tree fall blocking access?That tree that came down close by Greenhill Track is about where I park sometimes....better it’s down now!!

It might be good if DSE targets potential dangerous trees at that junction.That’s where folk will park sometimes when they come to see snow fall/ski/most winter things!!
Both gates will be closed within the week.But folk may park there snow conditions permitting.Probably better for DSE to drop some potentially dangerous beasts!
About 300m past gate on Lady T has tree
down which l can’t see being cleared
anytime soon
Blue range rd looks cleared all the way !

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Nice pictures ...good.Most of us will contemplate using Mt M Gap.....pretty safe place to park or Greenhill/Boundary Junction which is obviously not quite so o_Oso safe.It’s so pretty.....but must have been wild as in past days!Good not to see all of the Lake Mt super structures...

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
It’s picture perfect up there even when it’s flooded . Highway through “Black Spur”is still closed.....Vic Rds and it’s contractors must be working hard.......better those trees fall now than later on some poor traveller!

Hopefully those Giant Redwoods at Fernshaw have not been donged by the natives!

Reactions: Rallyboy on snow

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
It’s picture perfect up there even when it’s flooded . Highway through “Black Spur”is still closed.....Vic Rds and it’s contractors must be working hard.......better those trees fall now than later on some poor traveller!

Rallyboy on snow

Early Days
Jun 5, 2021
Black spur closed but back road to
Toolangi open for 4WD or enthusiastic 2wd. Normal route closed due to some little trees not where they should be
2982F6D2-36C2-4EA6-BCAC-588A5762296D.jpeg
0CD4C297-233D-46E9-8A6A-118917BA71DE.jpeg

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au

A lot of trucks have driven past my shop carrying tree debris. I thought you weren't allowed to remove anything from National Parks! Unless it's all from the Narby side of Dom Dom. I hope VicRoads aren't using arborists to do the job, but are using loggers and heavy machinery. The bastards have 3/4 closed the road to the north of me, which means even the locals aren't coming past. Great long weekend,eh? Not.

I also heard some dipstick chopped down a big tree right on the highway (near the roadhouse & caravan park). Felled right across the highway, and that section of road even needed re-sealing. Cops investigating.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass