Mt Ruapehu

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Ruapehu season passes: early bird deal is on now. Cheapest season pass you'll find I reckon. Budget for 25-33% closed days due to weather. But spring skiing par excellance.

Screenshot_20201009-121024.png

Last edited:

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Just received this email......................

SEASON EXTENSION @ WHAKAPAPA & TUROA

We're not done yet! Both Whakapapa & Turoa have announced season extensions.

Whakapapa will remain open until Nov 1 for upper mountain riding and sightseeing.

Turoa will remain open until Nov 16, Friday - Monday ONLY for upper mountain riding.

On sale from Friday Oct 23.

Undies

Rockin the lock in
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Ruapehu season passes: early bird deal is on now. Cheapest season pass you'll find I reckon. Budget for 25-33% closed days due to weather. But spring skiing par excellance.

Screenshot_20201009-121024.png

For the price of 3 day passes at Perisher you can get a season pass at Ruapehu. Which, as a mountain, craps all over Perisher*.

*Provided it is open.

Reactions: teleroo and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
For the price of 3 day passes at Perisher you can get a season pass at Ruapehu. Which, as a mountain, craps all over Perisher*.

*Provided it is open.

Must be nice having ~ 5-month season on piste for North Islanders.

I would imagine the effective touring season would last for an extra couple of months?
Cover Xmas/ NY holidays? wonderful! :zzz:

Undies

Rockin the lock in
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
How hard would it be to create a linked ski area between Whaka and Turoa?

One can but dream...

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
How hard would it be to create a linked ski area between Whaka and Turoa?

One can but dream...

They like to pretend it’s two?

I think it’s considered sacred above ~ 2,300m but below that they could link the two - you’d hope?

Reactions: Undies

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007

*Provided it is open.
Yes you are right, an amazing mountain, when it is open and you can see it.

However in terms of ski hours per week's worth of holiday, you do get more in at Perisher.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Yes you are right, an amazing mountain, when it is open and you can see it.

However in terms of ski hours per week's worth of holiday, you do get more in at Perisher.
True-ish... budget for 25% days closed per year at Ruapehu....and could easily be 4 to 5 days closed in any one week. Interestingly they've capped the number of season passes available for next year at something like 20% below this years sales.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
True-ish... budget for 25% days closed per year at Ruapehu....and could easily be 4 to 5 days closed in any one week. Interestingly they've capped the number of season passes available for next year at something like 20% below this years sales.

They must have fairly low costs to have such cheap season passes? (Even if that’s only the Early- bird rate?) Aren’t they not-for-profit?

Certainly makes Oz look expensive!

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
They must have fairly low costs to have such cheap season passes? (Even if that’s only the Early- bird rate?) Aren’t they not-for-profit?

Certainly makes Oz look expensive!
My understanding is Ruapehu Alpine Lifts (which has the licence to run the lifts) is some sort of Maori community owned entity?? . But I wouldn't say it is a low cost resort to run. Not much snowmaking by Oz standards but the resorts need a lot of mountain ops crew. Lots of de-icing, avalanche control, trail building, grooming, laying down food dye "home trails" on cloudy days etc. Plenty of chit chat on the Ruapehu facey pages about the virtues or otherwise of RAL. It is a tough mountain to operate safely on that is for sure.

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
We had to vicious rainfalls in recent weeks which wiped out the snow, so it was pretty toasted last weekend, it was only good for Ski Touring above 2400.

There’s absolutely no need and it’s not possible to link the two ski fields by trail but that would take away all the fun of Ski Tourer. for only one hours work there are mini many routes in multiple directions and with a dozen named peaks it takes about a decade to do them all.

RAL Is the company that has the license and hardware to run the two fields it’s a pretty unusual business because it’s nonprofit & non-tax paying; the upshot of which means it’s not that responsible to the punters;

it’s primarily responsible really only to its board of directors Salaries and in recent years it’s been a disastrous piece of handling, With the focus going onto summer tourism as opposed to Ski Customer Service

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
We had to vicious rainfalls in recent weeks which wiped out the snow, so it was pretty toasted last weekend, it was only good for Ski Touring above 2400.

There’s absolutely no need and it’s not possible to link the two ski fields by trail but that would take away all the fun of Ski Tourer. for only one hours work there are mini many routes in multiple directions and with a dozen named peaks it takes about a decade to do them all.

RAL Is the company that has the license and hardware to run the two fields it’s a pretty unusual business because it’s nonprofit & non-tax paying; the upshot of which means it’s not that responsible to the punters;

it’s primarily responsible really only to its board of directors Salaries and in recent years it’s been a disastrous piece of handling, With the focus going onto summer tourism as opposed to Ski Customer Service
Why do you say that? I know the previous CEO and he was fully focused on the winter trade and much investment went towards that. ie Gondola, ticketing pick up boxes, marketing etc.

What's changed?

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Why do you say that? I know the previous CEO and he was fully focused on the winter trade and much investment went towards that. ie Gondola, ticketing pick up boxes, marketing etc.

What's changed?
I would say impressions of old mate are "mixed" wherever he's been. Definitely ruffled feathers with decision making all over the place.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass