Trip Report Mt St Gwinear - Victoria

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Tis looking much nicer than I have ever seen it in my few years of visiting. Just waiting on a new pair of XCD skis so I can take advantage :)

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Wow, look at those trees!! apparently Parks victoria cut staff on the mountain, no one was on there today, no road clearing too apparently. such a shame on a day like this. Looks incredible though!

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
They could surely afford to send a couple of guys up there for the weekend! might have to cut back on tea and biscuit allowance. I think a visit might be In order next weekend or even before!

Reactions: ladycamper

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Wow, look at those trees!! apparently Parks victoria cut staff on the mountain, no one was on there today, no road clearing too apparently. such a shame on a day like this. Looks incredible though!

Can confirm this. Parks Vic have operations on the mountain Thurs-Sun 9.30-4.30 only. PV and ski patrol were not operating this weekend either.

obrien

Hard Yards
Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
Saw on the St Gwinear Facebook page this morning that they have closed the road today due to not having a grader to get in there to clear it.

Am hoping to get up there Friday morning with the little 'uns for a toboggan.

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
I would imagine so. I'll be up there patrolling on Sunday so I sure hope so! Baw Baw forecast indicates snow showers expected for Fri, Sat and Sun.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Can confirm this. Parks Vic have operations on the mountain Thurs-Sun 9.30-4.30 only. PV and ski patrol were not operating this weekend either.

This lack of presence is a very sad state of affairs - we're going backwards in terms of Facilities on some mountains (Buffalo/ MtStG) since I started skiing in 85'.

Come the first search and rescue, PV will be reviewing their cuts ( but let's not forget The Govt's hand in setting the budget).:(

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
I just got back from MSG. It was only 2°C in the carpark so very mild. Snow cover not too good on the lower trails with a few rocks showing and lots of leaf litter. I felt sorry for the poor kids tobogganing on a mixture of snow and mud, there's obviously been a bit of rain. Trouble is, the toboggan runs are near the carpark at just over 1200M. Snow cover improved towards the summit but it was pretty heavy and chopped up. I skied over the summit and straight on over towards mustering flat but unconsolidated snow made it hard work with stocks almost disappearing in the soft snow near bushes.

I had quite a nice run down from the summit and was back after 3 hours of skiing. The snow was not great but I have skied worse. A nice freeze and some new snow next week should really improve conditions! Very quiet out there today, I saw a single skier in the carpark and a group of four out past the summit. I bumped into a nice ski patrol guy on AT gear and passed quite a few skinny skiers on the way up as I was going down. They were really skinny track skis so they would have had fun on the way back from the summit!

So ,not a brilliant day's skiing but still enjoyable. I find the drive up to Gwinear half the fun, it's about 430km return for me but very straightforward, even the last 13km of gravel/mud is a bit of fun if you can avoid the oncoming traffic on the narrow road.

Reactions: stridercdh

Greatfox

Hard Yards
May 17, 2013
Indeed, no chains were required. Great first day up there today, definitely needs more snow on the lower part of the St Gwinear trail, but a tonne of white stuff past the Gwinear summit through Mt St Phillack and (most likely, I turned back 2kms short) Baw Baw. What's the deal with the ski trails other than the main trail not being marked though?!
Only found the Saints Trail following someone else's tracks and then stumbling on a cache of blue poles along the route

Luko

One of Us
Jul 25, 2002
Melbourne/California
Wow this brings back memories, went there every year in the early 2000's and camped along the AAWT in winter. Love it up there. Hope to go back again

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Was on patrol on Sunday at St G. Great conditions all round, a little icy in the shadows. Only had time for a couple of photos.

Gwinear Flat looked particularly nice:

14696673634_21ccd42a8d_h_d.jpg

14512625177_d6c84592b2_h_d.jpg

P.S. Greatfox, some trails other than Main Trail have a permanent pole line eg. Cascades Trail (yellow stakes), however the temporarily marked trails such as Saints Trail and Tullicouty Trail have not had the poles set up this season due to Parks being short-staffed (as a result of government budget cuts:().

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
Can anyone tell me ,is it ok to drag your gear (pack etc) on a tobogan along the trails ,

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Can't see why not, I used a plastic toboggan at Falls and it didn't make too much of a mess, a lot less than skiers face planting or snow shoers flopping around.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
My wife had to visit her mother and I had a couple of days to myself. Then I saw Charlie's report about Kelly's deck and took the gamble; booked a night at BB and drove to Gwinear. Got lucky! Snow to the car park, crunchy dry stuff. Carried skies 100 metres and skied from there. It just got better on the way to the summit. No-one at all about. Had to take skis off for 100 m. or so over the rocks after Gwinear Flat corner, then great conditions out to the AAWT. Could not resist dropping down into Tullicouty Glen through the trees. Snow was fresh, dry, untracked, better than the soft ice cream at Falls the week before last. Had to do it again. Back around the Cascades trail with a few patches but skiable all the way. The sun had hit the thin cover at the view point and the trail had deteriorated since morning. I took skis off at the first bridge and walked the final km. Put a scratch on the vectors but a great day of spring touring with a few fun turns. Drove around SF road to BB. TBC.

Reactions: Ziggy

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Great stuff, I'm really surprised that there is enough snow up there. I thought you were going to ski to BB when you said you had booked accomodation there.

Sounds like you have your priorities right, if my wife visits her mother, I normally have to tag along too!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Rab, skied BB the next day (today). I should have invited you- next time. Fingers crossed for next week, but I'm not confident about the lower resorts. Might have to watch the footy with the Hawks fans tomorrow night ( wife and mil/ I was born in Geelong).

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
Snow at carpark ? is that todays comment ?.. i am heading to MSG tomorrow night for a couple nights snow camping, well hoping snow camping not just camping. i am happy for enough snow for sightseeing, and to keep the vegetation flat so i can explore a bit off trail.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Josh, that was the situation on Wed. morning, but had already changed by afternoon. It' melting. There will still be plenty up higher, I'm sure. Have a good trip.

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
thanks chris, i will let you know how it goes, its always fun arriving at 1-2 am and trekking in, best part

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
I am hoping theres been snow in last day or two at MSG, baw baw has had light falls and if you look at the bb snow cams it looks great, i need someone to take a run at the summit and let me know ,go on please ,quick

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
St Gwinear report not updated since last Wed (10 June). Unlikely to still be 10cm of snow cover.

gillymonster

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2014
Thanks for keeping this site updated. Hoping to go for a ski Tuesday 14 July, so will also keep an eye on Baw Baw snowcams.

gillymonster

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2014
OK, there wasn't enough snow to ski Tuesday but we're definitely heading up tomorrow Friday 17 July and will report on St Gwinear facebook page.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
I'll be using my old Karhu Gts or a slightly newer pair of the same I bought a couple years ago from a lady on this site. they are 190s vs my old 200s so just right. did I mention that I am now retired so need to ski moar!

gillymonster

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2014
Went for a very nice ski today Friday 17 July. Skiable from carpark but only went as far as St Gwinear bowl, which looked pretty scratchy from the saddle. Main trail is thin but base is firm and has a nice surface for turns. Well worth the trip up but main trail is likely to deteriorate into next week. Without rain it should hold up for the weekend at least. Enjoy.

gillymonster

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2014
Yep, it's all true, good cover on main trails and skiable from carpark. Surprised today (Tues 21:July) to see how well the snow and trails held up over the weekend. Firm surface good for turns but like skiing on ice cubes under trees where ice has blown off trees but not melted. St Gwinear bowl still very scratchy but can navigate through. Still well worth the trip up.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Went from carpark to rock shelter and back today, had to walk a short distance to get to snow, but generally good. Some patches of rock, especially on the chute, but the diversion was ok. Cascade trail very good despite tree across it. 35cm at rock shelter, 20cm at Jeep Tk flat, lots of people about. This was my first try on nordic skis. I'm usually a DH skier, and it was an effort! I will have to think about changing my equipment so I can do both. XC trails were not groomed, and this made it very difficult going downhill,had to remove skis at one stage and walk. Survived with only one fall.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
See advert for 'Fischer Boundless skis' in Buy/Sell section. Ideal for that sort of terrain, touring and some downhill runs as well.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Thanks, will converse more in that thread. Will be back up next weekend for more fun, surprisingly was not as sore as I expected this morning,gym work paying off? A friend up there had a binding where you could actually lock the heel down to the ski, all you had to do was twist it around, it was also self releasing. Would be good to hire some different types but no-one around here does that. Erica ski hire is just Nordic I believe.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks, will converse more in that thread. Will be back up next weekend for more fun, surprisingly was not as sore as I expected this morning,gym work paying off? A friend up there had a binding where you could actually lock the heel down to the ski, all you had to do was twist it around, it was also self releasing. Would be good to hire some different types but no-one around here does that. Erica ski hire is just Nordic I believe.

what do,you mean by "twist it around"? was he using Alpine Touring gear, do you know?

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Well, to me it looked like a modified DH binding that locked the heel in but then all he did to release the heel was rotate the binding by 90 degrees, then he could 'walk' in them. I will get more info. You could be right about being an alpine touring binding as I am a novice in these matters.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Well, to me it looked like a modified DH binding that locked the heel in but then all he did to release the heel was rotate the binding by 90 degrees, then he could 'walk' in them. I will get more info. You could be right about being an alpine touring binding as I am a novice in these matters.
interesting, I am sure more knowledgable people will have some more ideas, thanks .

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Further investigation reveals they were a Dynafit alpine touring binding, old model now, but looking on the net I think the latest would be something like the TLT Beast 14, I think boots are specific to the binding. Now, I really don't know the difference between back country/alpine touring and the variations in between, so maybe you can enlighten me?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Weerab, just a heads up (sic). Will be at bb Weds, Thurs, Fri, if you can get up for a tour. Otherwise will be seeing how left knee works on downhill runs after surgery 10 months ago. Consider.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Hi CC,
I was planning to go to Gwinear or Stirling later in the week as I have an appointment on Wednesday morning. I also had minor surgery 3 months ago but all good except for some back troubles at LM last week, isn't it great getting old?

certainly interested in Baw Baw this week! had a look at accomo, come up with Tanjil lodge and some backpacker lodge. do you have suggestions for accomo at BB, it would be just one night?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
I usually stay at Alpine Flashpackers these days. You get a small room with ensuite above the Alpine Hotel. Good value and usually ski in ski out. Backpackers is shared bunk accom; I would avoid it. Edski is ok, they have small rooms. Want to work on some turns Weds, Thurs, see if knees still work, but would be more than happy to tour out to St. Phillack or Tullicouty Glen on Thursday or Friday. Let me know what you can do.

Dragon011

Hard Yards
Aug 6, 2015
Hi there, I'm a newbie on this forum.
I went to MSG last weekend and am planning again this Saturday. Conditions were awesome and with this week's snow can only get better :) !
I'm happy to offer a lift to someone from Melbourne eastern suburbs some time mid morning Sat (can't leave earlier -- have some commitments in the morning). My car can only fit one person - apart from me of course :) and I would be grateful if that person knows how to drive a manual.
Reply to this forum if interested.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass