Trip Report Mt St Gwinear - Victoria

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Trip report for 29th of July..
No snow as we arrived, but started dumping when we started walking up the summit track.
Snow was settling on the carpark as we left and it was still snowing heaps of large flakes.

DSC_3661.jpg

DSC_3662.jpg
DSC_3687.jpg

DSC_3689.jpg

DSC_3688.JPG
Thank you for the photos. I am going up there during August 2018 , no doubt!

Reactions: Vertikar

Vertikar

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2012
Just updated my post as I realised I'd worded it really wrongly, what I meant to say was that it wasn't snowing when we arrived, but there was quite a decent powdery cover, not that there was no snow at all up there!

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

RTL

Hard Yards
May 19, 2016
Fantastic snow yesterday but disappointed that no grooming being done, shame on PV. Should be enough snow on the plateau for a school holiday snow camp!
Have you seen the groomer they have? It ain't no Pistenbully.It is a skidoo towing a piece of conveyor belt rubber from what I can see. Very rudimentary. Anyway, that is what I love about the moutain. Forces you to learn to ski the ungroomed.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Skiing ungroomed trails is ok for some, but for complete beginners it can be treacherous, and if you want to promote and grow the XC experience, you need groomed trails, at least the main one's. Re grooming, skiidoo long gone, they have a Polaris with a proper grooming device.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Skiing ungroomed trails is ok for some, but for complete beginners it can be treacherous, and if you want to promote and grow the XC experience, you need groomed trails, at least the main one's. Re grooming, skiidoo long gone, they have a Polaris with a proper grooming device.
If you have some experience as a learner skier then XC skiing on ungroomed snow is not a big issue, but frozen footprints can cause some crashes for true neophytes on planks.I know. It has happened to me.
I must admit that now , after XC skiing quite a bit this season in all kinds of conditions, I don't like corduroy groomed surfaces that much. I like making fresh tracks in BC XC conditions :).

Last edited:
Reactions: weerab

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If anyone has any comments about the way MSG is being run, I thoroughly recommend they get in touch with the volunteer ski patrol.

For example, if grooming or temporary pole lines are being neglected then please send an email to the patrollers. Nothing will change by just posting info here, however important it is stay in touch with the ski community (and it is!).

... and if Gwinny is being starved of funds lets rattle some cages until she gets some attention!! Do it for the next generation too!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
http://www.janebunn.net/mt-baw-baw

I am tossing up whether to wait until Friday at the end of next week to XC Ski at MSG. Jane Bunn thinks there will be a dump of snow on Thursday night cum Friday morning at Mt BB which is almost the same forecast for MSG.
This Sunday will be OK but a bigger dump of fresh cover would be better for XC skiing and I can get Friday off!!

Last edited:

Dragon011

Hard Yards
Aug 6, 2015
Hi everyone!
I too am planning a trip to MSG tomorrow (Sunday 2 September). Would be lovely to meet some of the regulars in this post in person there, but I always come very late -- I just can never leave Melbourne before at least 11am, so my skiing starts from about 1.30-2pm for the night shift :).

Let's hope for a cold and dry day (with freshie overnight)!
Cheers

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hi everyone!
I too am planning a trip to MSG tomorrow (Sunday 2 September). Would be lovely to meet some of the regulars in this post in person there, but I always come very late -- I just can never leave Melbourne before at least 11am, so my skiing starts from about 1.30-2pm for the night shift :).

Let's hope for a cold and dry day (with freshie overnight)!
Cheers
It is looking like a Monday Sept. 3rd 2018 MSG mission for me. I have been distracted and my planned trip today has been postponed. However all skiing and no female company makes Mr.Tee a very dull boy so It is good to have some other hobbies too ;-P.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Great day skiing today. Headed off about 9.45am to the Rock Shelter via Cascade trail and return over the summit, snow was fantastic and plenty of people about, managed to say 'hi' to almost everyone, not sure if Dragon011 was one of them! Finished the day with a couple of nice jam donuts, wonderful.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dragon011

Hard Yards
Aug 6, 2015
I did go on Sunday 2nd Sep, but have beaten even myself by arriving at 3pm!
There was snow on lower trails and sunshine on the plateaus past Gwinear flat. A stunning afternoon of skiing.
Last weekend i spent in vast plains of Falls Creek and it now looks like the end of season for MSG, despite last night's snow fall (10cm, hey!). Am curious to read reports if anyone goes today.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Very nice conditions for touring from Gwinear car park on Monday 17th. Mine was the 4th car in and there were 2 Parks Vic guys supervising parking!! Full cover on the main trail on the way up but melting off at view point. By the time I came back down mid afternoon there were bare patches and rocks appearing. 50- 75 cm up top. After lunch at the rock shelter at AWT trail junction, I was pleased to get a few turns in deep, fresh snow into Tullicouty Glen. Good conditions above the creek along Thomson's run. Then it was a climb up Phillack saddle and a search through the trees for the top of the (unmarked) Saints trail. Had not skied that run for some years. It's worth the effort, skiing along the snow covered creek (look out!), past the falls and down to Gwinear Flat. Return trip around the Cascades trail was patchy where exposed but skiable all the way back. Took the SF Road to BB where I spent the night and skied mostly in the resort on Tuesday. Summit, Hut and Champagne had good cover but Maltese was patchy in places and may not last much longer. Lots of meltation in the bright sunshine and Northerly winds. Make the most of what's left up there, folks.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Very nice conditions for touring from Gwinear car park on Monday 17th. Mine was the 4th car in and there were 2 Parks Vic guys supervising parking!! Full cover on the main trail on the way up but melting off at view point. By the time I came back down mid afternoon there were bare patches and rocks appearing. 50- 75 cm up top. After lunch at the rock shelter at AWT trail junction, I was pleased to get a few turns in deep, fresh snow into Tullicouty Glen. Good conditions above the creek along Thomson's run. Then it was a climb up Phillack saddle and a search through the trees for the top of the (unmarked) Saints trail. Had not skied that run for some years. It's worth the effort, skiing along the snow covered creek (look out!), past the falls and down to Gwinear Flat. Return trip around the Cascades trail was patchy where exposed but skiable all the way back. Took the SF Road to BB where I spent the night and skied mostly in the resort on Tuesday. Summit, Hut and Champagne had good cover but Maltese was patchy in places and may not last much longer. Lots of meltation in the bright sunshine and Northerly winds. Make the most of what's left up there, folks.

Great report ChrisX. 50-75 cents(even just in drifts up top) is a great outcome for Sept 19. I guess a lack of major rain events, some cold nights (& days) and a very good cover by end of August has all helped deliver the September goods! Hey there may even be some skiing into October (just) at this rate. How good is that!!

Reactions: Poppies

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
If the Lake Mtn. road is closed on Wed. due to heavy snow falls then Plan B could be MSG!
Good luck to you Mister T. Hope you get a lovely ski at either destination. I had a memorable day in May at Lake Mt on a snowy Sunday with a bunch of friends. The most fresh in a day I've seen fall there and it was dry snow too. When we got back to the carpark we had to dig the wheels free and fit chains for a convoy descent following a billdozer. Trees were coming down and the trusy old L-series subie wagon was bottoming out and sliding on its skid pans at times with the wheels in the ruts from the preceding bigger vehicled with packed snow in the middle making a sloding platform. Went to Gwinear mid-week after a fall in the landcruiser I had. Parks were up there and the road was uncleared. Wouldn't have made it in without the extra clearance so be careful about that, especially if yours is the only car about if going to Gwinear. When we arrived it was unfortunately blizzardy conditions with freezing wind and sleet so we didn't ski for long.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Good luck to you Mister T. Hope you get a lovely ski at either destination. I had a memorable day in May at Lake Mt on a snowy Sunday with a bunch of friends. The most fresh in a day I've seen fall there and it was dry snow too. When we got back to the carpark we had to dig the wheels free and fit chains for a convoy descent following a billdozer. Trees were coming down and the trusy old L-series subie wagon was bottoming out and sliding on its skid pans at times with the wheels in the ruts from the preceding bigger vehicled with packed snow in the middle making a sloding platform. Went to Gwinear mid-week after a fall in the landcruiser I had. Parks were up there and the road was uncleared. Wouldn't have made it in without the extra clearance so be careful about that, especially if yours is the only car about if going to Gwinear. When we arrived it was unfortunately blizzardy conditions with freezing wind and sleet so we didn't ski for long.
I will take the wheel chains, snow shovel and chainsaw etc. My car is an AWD with all terrain tyres (2008 RAV 4) so has a tad more clearance and traction than the average suburban jalopy.

Reactions: Goski

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I won't be a able to think about skiing until later July or August (or September!) having had total ankle replacement surgery 4 weeks ago for my right ankle but my wife might take my kids for a ski on the QB Sunday. Hoping Gwinear gets a good lasting base from next week's snowfalls. Looking forward to some trip reports. Lots of early skiing memories of MSG and skiing to Baw Baw and back plus a long day doing Mushroom Rocks to MSG car park in early Spring in the 90s....when we got more snow for longer.

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Endless Winter
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Wasn't too bad on the Sunday of Queen's Birthday long weekend, but the rain would have killed it by now. Needs another dump. A good guide to the condition of St Gwinear is the Mt Baw Baw toboggan run snow cam.
Not any more, 'cause the toboggan run now has its own dedicated snow factory!
(Courtesy of Lake Mountain)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
MSG's reporting is bollocks. BB has got 8 cms and counting .Look at the BB snow cameras.The snow has accumulated in the trees which is always a good sign. If it keeps snowing then a groomer up the main trail of MSG would not be out of place on Saturday.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Ah Haa! A new update from MSG mission control :) . 17 cms fresh. I think Sunday could be good for MSG!!
It could be another rock hopper day but with a touch of sun the Main trail on MSG would not be too icy for the return run back to the car park
The snow cameras at BB look good.
http://www.janebunn.net/mt-baw-baw

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using