Trip Report Mt St Gwinear - Victoria

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
Anyone been up recently and can give an accurate assess=ment of the trails between Baw Baw and the MSG car park?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Ya, saw that. Was wondering how broken?
This is simply my guess but the BB plateaux needs 20 cm to cover all the hazards, bushes, rocks, footprints, twigs, stream crossings etc. and to make the summit of MSG to the MSG car park skiable.
Falls Creek has the best XC skiing at present in my estimation and I am heading up there to ski some kilometres on Nordic skis on Tuesday. The Heathy Spur loop has been groomed :) .

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
This is simply my guess but the BB plateaux needs 20 cm to cover all the hazards, bushes, rocks, footprints, twigs, stream crossings etc. and to make the summit of MSG to the MSG car park skiable.
Falls Creek has the best XC skiing at present in my estimation and I am heading up there to ski some kilometres on Nordic skis on Tuesday. The Heathy Spur loop has been groomed :) .

Yes when its fair/ poor in Oz go high - follow the T!

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
Went to Baw Baw, skied the trails and the ski runs. Weather was much better than expected and snow conditions, although listed on the sign at the Bowl as poor for every trail actually was more like fair to good. Didn't need to take the skis off anywhere after Frosti Lane.
Funny incident with a lifty who said if we didn't have a lift pass we couldn't ski on the ski runs. You can imagine how that went down. Others in my party said that after I left, another lifty came over and told him off. The ski patrol guy just said to ignore the Baw Baw guys, lol.
Oh, and for those wondering if you can ski from Baw Baw to Mt St Gwinnear car park, I'd say give it a miss.
And another thing, if you follow the Village trail, thinking it's a loop that takes you back to the village, well, it isn't; it takes you to a sign which reads Run Closed or something like that.
And one last thing, if you have a choice between light and heavy touring gear, go heavy. The metal edges will help you if the runs are icy and a bit of side-cut will help you on those narrow twisty ungroomed trails. If you only have skating skis, you can ski up and down the ski runs but it gets old pretty fast.

Canbat

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
So, a small trip up to Jeep Track Flat and back on the skinny's. Nice sunny day, had to walk a hundred meters or so before I could put on my skis, after that it was a struggle. Why you ask? Trying to navigate my way around foot prints, debris, and huge wheel tracks and associated ridges in the snow. Now, I'm not usually a whinger, but as a relative newbie to XC who is still trying to just get used to my basic setup, this puts me off, not to mention for any other first timer up here. I know my experienced friends on wider skis had little trouble, especially higher up the trail. Coming down even worse, having to navigate that all over again at speed. I would like to know what other people have experienced?

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
So, a small trip up to Jeep Track Flat and back on the skinny's. Nice sunny day, had to walk a hundred meters or so before I could put on my skis, after that it was a struggle. Why you ask? Trying to navigate my way around foot prints, debris, and huge wheel tracks and associated ridges in the snow. Now, I'm not usually a whinger, but as a relative newbie to XC who is still trying to just get used to my basic setup, this puts me off, not to mention for any other first timer up here. I know my experienced friends on wider skis had little trouble, especially higher up the trail. Coming down even worse, having to navigate that all over again at speed. I would like to know what other people have experienced?
I thought the road was supposed to be closed to vehicles ….

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
MSG and Mt. Stirling are wide heavy metal edged BC XC ski locations. You learn these things the hard way as you go along. Madshus Epoch Skis have that base covered. I would imagine BB is often the same especially when it is icy and full of footprints.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
MSG and Mt. Stirling are wide heavy metal edged BC XC ski locations. You learn these things the hard way as you go along. Madshus Epoch Skis have that base covered. I would imagine BB is often the same especially when it is icy and full of footprints.
The thing is, it is promoted as a XC destination, Erica Ski Hire also hires out the skinny ski's, and PV has the equipment (or access to it) to do some basic grooming, so, I shouldn't have to upgrade to a wider edged setup, I just wanted to stick to the trails.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The thing is, it is promoted as a XC destination, Erica Ski Hire also hires out the skinny ski's, and PV has the equipment (or access to it) to do some basic grooming, so, I shouldn't have to upgrade to a wider edged setup, I just wanted to stick to the trails.
The reality is that this a poor XC season, Wide metal Edged BC XC skis are the tool of choice out there and Parks Vic. have zero funding , they are broke. Dan the Man is anti nature and anti Parks. They will not groom things unless there is huge snowfall and even then at Mt.St.G. they are very slow to pull their fingers out , if at all .The Madshus Epochs skis could be also known as the Mt.St.G. ski over huge foot prints skis.

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
For completeness sake, I ski on some old ptex based metal edged skis, 210 cm, Rotefella heavy duty 3-pin bindings and leather double boots. I waxed the glide zone with low-flouro (0 to +10C) and the kick zone with a universal klister. The klister was pretty filthy by the end of the weekend but was still working.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015

Good advice. I have only ever used Annums 78mm and Vectors 94mm with metal edges and would need to want groomed trails to get plastic skis out. I did hire some metal edged Parvos ("Povos") and hated the buggers. I like side cut. ;-) I am a philistine...

Boosie

First Runs
Aug 10, 2019
Hey guys, im in the area with the kids, just wondering if theres any snow at Mt Gwinear,anyone there?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hey guys, im in the area with the kids, just wondering if theres any snow at Mt Gwinear,anyone there?
It is nuking down with snow across VIC. to very low levels e.g 450 M. ASL . Take wheel chains and know how to fit them. Take a snow shovel and be prepared to dig your car out. Take a chainsaw and know how to use it. Those naughty trees keep falling down in this harsh winter weather.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
MSG is closed for the day. Parks had closed the road until about 11.30am then at 10.30am changed their minds and closed the site for the day. Looks like Mt Stirling is the obly place now for areliable day ski from Melbourne. 5hrs of driving for nixt.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Parks would have been better announcing the closure overnight unstead of deciding at 10.30am today and wasting a lot of people's time and petrol. They had almost finished clearing the road to the carpark and had cleared a few small trees but when I spoke to them they had gotten scared of being held responsibke if a tree fell on a person or vehicle. An xc skier ( geaeed up well) from North America who wished to walk up the road then ski a bit was not allowed to do so in case a tree fell on him.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
My two ski days this season have been a bust. Lake Mt...an organisational mess that cant cope with a 15cm snowfall. Mt St Gwinear....lots of snow yes but to bar 4wds with chains from using the road after they have cleared with a backflip on their position was rather disapointing after we has waited around for a while based on their recommedation to get some ski ltime. I suspect they don't gave the resources to hsndle a vehicle vs tree incident. So, like at Lake Mt, we can't bank on sking there there when there has been recent snowfall.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Might be able to get to Hotham next week for a few days where I think I may actually be allowed by the resort management to get in to have a ski

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Only if you go Omeo way!
The way the anow access road situations have been going at many ski areas in Vic I may well have to. I'd be going tomorrow during the day of I get packed today and get some 18 quiver killers epoxied into my old AT skis.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Only if you go Omeo way!
Hi. I just read the GAR was closed this morning at Harrietville due to tree fall risk. I guess you were referring to that? That issue is disrupting Hotham, MSG and Lake Mt this season. Falls next with all that standing dead alpine ash?

MHzMe

Addicted
Apr 24, 2001
Marouka Lodge
Hi. I just read the GAR was closed this morning at Harrietville due to tree fall risk. I guess you were referring to that? That issue is disrupting Hotham, MSG and Lake Mt this season. Falls next with all that standing dead alpine ash?
The trees are part of it, but they are likely to close the Harrietville to Hotham Heights section of the GAR at the drop of a hat under current policies. Take a look in the Hotham forum to see the debacle it has become.
Omeo side road is much gentler approach above the tree line (although twisty between Bruthen and Swift's Creek). If you are in eastern / south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and they are likely to be running convoys on the Harrietville approach (which can add 1-2 hours to your travel time) it is likely to be quicker to go via Omeo.

The Bluff

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
melbourne
My two ski days this season have been a bust. Lake Mt...an organisational mess that cant cope with a 15cm snowfall. Mt St Gwinear....lots of snow yes but to bar 4wds with chains from using the road after they have cleared with a backflip on their position was rather disapointing after we has waited around for a while based on their recommedation to get some ski ltime. I suspect they don't gave the resources to hsndle a vehicle vs tree incident. So, like at Lake Mt, we can't bank on sking there there when there has been recent snowfall.
Did you consider skiing up the Mt Erica Rd for a bit of fun??

RTL

Hard Yards
May 19, 2016
Today Mt St Gwinear has more natural snow depth than Mt Hotham and Mt Buller. Even has more depth than the snowmaking areas at those resorts. Hard to believe.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
Melburn
Today Mt St Gwinear has more natural snow depth than Mt Hotham and Mt Buller. Even has more depth than the snowmaking areas at those resorts. Hard to believe.
Buller maybe but Hotham? You must be winding us up...

I call bullshit (https://mountbawbaw.com.au/snow-and-weather-report):

upload_2019-8-12_10-53-12.png

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
I’m assuming you’re looking at the reports on ski.com which don’t pull all the information through correctly. You will find Hotham has 1.5m per their website which as you’d expect aligns with Falls.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Did you consider skiing up the Mt Erica Rd for a bit of fun??
We did consider doing that but a number of vehicles had been up and down it already and made a mess of the cover. We drove back down to Erica and had lunch then back to Melbourne. This Sunday the 18th might be a goer but I'm getting a bit reluctant to make the effort given that Parks could again decide on the day to close the road. In the time between when we arrived at the acces road and before Parks decided to not open the road we did drive down the road to check out the Thompsom Dam, which I'd never done vefore despite visiting Gwinear for 30 years of ski trips.

Last edited:

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
From today's report
"
Conditions
*Edit: XC trails have hazards near the summit potentially caused by walkers Excellent skiing on a softening cover otherwise."
£&@#ing walkers! No respect.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Trails at MSG, Stirling and Baw Baw summit trail are regularly trashed by walkers, some of whom are, unfortunately, snowboarders. Others just ignorant.
Wilfully ignorant IMO and that includes non-English readers. Failing to enquire what big signs across trailheads say is no excuse for creating unsafe conditions for legitimate trail users. As for the trudging selfish snowboarders who regularly trash Stirling's trails by not using snowshoes...... (they cause violent thoughts that probably shouldn't be voiced out loud).

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Wilfully ignorant IMO and that includes non-English readers. Failing to enquire what big signs across trailheads say is no excuse for creating unsafe conditions for legitimate trail users. As for the trudging selfish snowboarders who regularly trash Stirling's trails by not using snowshoes...... (they cause violent thoughts that probably shouldn't be voiced out loud).
Yep , some snow boarders and tourists on foot at XC ski locations are just thoughtless …….. ……….. ……….. ( fill in the blanks with your favourite swear words and withering epithets using whichever language you prefer).

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
From today's report
"
Conditions
*Edit: XC trails have hazards near the summit potentially caused by walkers Excellent skiing on a softening cover otherwise."
£&@#ing walkers! No respect.
Yes, definitely no respect, but I feel at BB that the poor signage does not help, especially with non-australians. At Gwinear it is also hard to control, despite the large banner, and I think improved signage and regular grooming would help.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yes, definitely no respect, but I feel at BB that the poor signage does not help, especially with non-australians. At Gwinear it is also hard to control, despite the large banner, and I think improved signage and regular grooming would help.
I think you mean NEW Australians, not Non Australians . We are all Australians, however the Aborigines would differ there to some degree, one would think.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I'm prepared to have some stern words with walkers next time I'm up regardless of how new or old (Aussies) they are and if they are foreign visitors I'll hold them to the same level of consideration for local rules and customs that I apply when I travel. Need to get a tele-whippet ski pole...

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I'm prepared to have some stern words with walkers next time I'm up regardless of how new or old (Aussies) they are and if they are foreign visitors I'll hold them to the same level of consideration for local rules and customs that I apply when I travel. Need to get a tele-whippet ski pole...
I have a whippet ski pole and I will wave it at people with menace :-0 , at anyone who put foot prints in XC ski trails!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass