Trip Report Mt.Stirling. Razorback Hut snow camp and XC skiing .10th-12th .8.18

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Would it be groomed all the way for skating? Unlikely, I would have thought. Hard work if not groomed, but perhaps your fitness is at that level. It's many years now since I went to the summit on skating skis and it most likely will not happen again. Wide pattern base touring skis (Voile vectors for me) are the go for Stirling, IMO. That said, there were some 3 metre skate tracks on the lower Fork Creek trail last week, left by an instuctor/patroller, so I heard. Hope your plan comes to fruition, tt.

Reactions: Skiain

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Would it be groomed all the way for skating? Unlikely, I would have thought. Hard work if not groomed, but perhaps your fitness is at that level. It's many years now since I went to the summit on skating skis and it most likely will not happen again. Wide pattern base touring skis (Voile vectors for me) are the go for Stirling, IMO. That said, there were some 3 metre skate tracks on the lower Fork Creek trail last week, left by an instuctor/patroller, so I heard. Hope your plan comes to fruition, tt.
The section of the Circuit road that I skied on Sunday was deep , dry , fresh and ungroomed snow . It was groomed by a skidoo on Friday 10/8/18 but any sign of that was well buried by Sunday morning. I was using Madshus Epoch PB BC XC skis with NNN BC bindings and boots. I was diagonal striding mostly the whole way. Skating 48 kms , half of it on ungroomed snow would be like running two marathons in a day.:eek:
After the Howqua gap the Circuit road descends somewhat so you would get a small free ride down hill at that point .

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Circuit Road is about 47km around and some of it is quite low, as low as 950 metres between Black Landing track and McCormicks Track. Quite a long section below 1200 metres on that northern section.
TBJ is at about 1240 metres. The profile is rough because the distance is very compressed. The altitude is reasonably accurate.
Looking at the attached profile which is an anti clockwise circuit, more than half could be below 1200 metres. It might be a bit ambitious to expect to ski the loop.

Circuit Road.jpg

Skiain

One of Us
Sep 5, 2002
SE Australia
Circuit Road is about 47km around and some of it is quite low, as low as 950 metres between Black Landing track and McCormicks Track. Quite a long section below 1200 metres on that northern section.
TBJ is at about 1240 metres. The profile is rough because the distance is very compressed. The altitude is reasonably accurate.
Looking at the attached profile which is an anti clockwise circuit, more than half could be below 1200 metres. It might be a bit ambitious to expect to ski the loop.

Correct, and that is why the timing is key. Needing a trifecta of snowline, weather and compactness to be the ideal trip. I have ridden it on mtb and am also concerned about the longer, low-altitude sections. Anyhow, it is a training goal and a trip worth making nonetheless. Spent a lot of time in the area over the years and especially April-June this year. Having skied out to Craig's Hut, the Clear Hills and, Monument Tracks many years ago, I wanted to complete my coverage of the area.

Reactions: neilmny

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Correct, and that is why the timing is key. Needing a trifecta of snowline, weather and compactness to be the ideal trip. I have ridden it on mtb and am also concerned about the longer, low-altitude sections. Anyhow, it is a training goal and a trip worth making nonetheless. Spent a lot of time in the area over the years and especially April-June this year. Having skied out to Craig's Hut, the Clear Hills and, Monument Tracks many years ago, I wanted to complete my coverage of the area.
This coming weekend 's forecast is for heavy snowfalls down to 600 M. or even down to 400 M. This would be the Circuit road XC ski trip weekend for 2018 if ever there may actually be one, where a super fit XC skier could ski the whole thing without taking the skis off once.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It is official. The G.P. has spoken. I have a level 2 hamstring strain. I have torn the muscle while having a spill on skis. I am seeing the Physiotherapist tomorrow.
I am swimming every second day and hope to do a tiny bit more XC skiing towards the end of the month. Even just an hour or two per day , while snow camping at JB plain ( near Dinner plain) would be a bonus.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass