Snow Report Mt.Stirling. Still XC skiable :TBJ to the summit.4.5.20

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
That snow is still there, yet to be skied and taunting us all who are staying at home due to the lockdown.
It is not always that you can ski from TBJ to the top and back.Most usually it is an August occurrence .
mtstirling-telephoneboxjunction 4.5.20.jpg
mtstirling-bluffspur 4.5.20.jpg

Reactions: skinik and BlueHue

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I’d love to tour across from Buller but with no ski patrol I’m not sure how wise that is.
Yes, that would be amazing :) but also potentially risky with no ski patrol :-o .You would have have
full cover today: end to end !!.
Mind you I did snow shoe down the River Spur one year and that is Unpatrolled and ungroomed.
So even in season you take your chances on some sections of Mt. Stirling.

I remember meeting two young lads at the top of Mt.Stirling one year in a good white season. They had skied from Mt. Buller in just t shirts, no jackets. Yes they were keeping warm moving a lot , esp. going up the Howqua Gap track :-0 and they had put on a fine show of Nordic skiing, but taking no jacket is either gung ho or foolish or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarveMan

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Sunday 10 May
Summary
snow.png

Min -3
Max 0
Snow showers.
Possible rainfall: 1 to 3 mm
Chance of any rain: 80%
rain_80.gif

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of snow showers. Winds westerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h later.

Monday 11 May
Summary
snow.png

Min -2
Max 2
Snow shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm
Chance of any rain: 50%
rain_50.gif

Cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of snow showers. Winds southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light during the morning then becoming southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

There could be a dusting of snow next Sunday at Mt. Stirling and Mt. Buller ,according to BOM.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Sunday 10 May
Summary
snow.png

Min -3
Max 0
Snow showers.
Possible rainfall: 1 to 3 mm
Chance of any rain: 80%
rain_80.gif

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of snow showers. Winds westerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h later.

Monday 11 May
Summary
snow.png

Min -2
Max 2
Snow shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm
Chance of any rain: 50%
rain_50.gif

Cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of snow showers. Winds southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light during the morning then becoming southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

There could be a dusting of snow next Sunday at Mt. Stirling and Mt. Buller ,according to BOM.

More ground cooling Mr T?

At least it’s serves as a reminder to get our kit in order. Buy stuff, order stuff, get that car service. Etc...

can’t be so far away.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
More ground cooling Mr T?

At least it’s serves as a reminder to get our kit in order. Buy stuff, order stuff, get that car service. Etc...

can’t be so far away.
If we get allowed out soon before the 4WD roads are all shut and the ski season is declared then we can ski somewhere unusual more easily i.e. such as at Lankey Plains without paying to park at Mt.St.Bernard..

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If we get allowed out soon before the 4WD roads are all shut and the ski season is declared then we can ski somewhere unusual more easily i.e. such as at Lankey Plains without paying to park at Mt.St.Bernard..

they want to charge us for ploughing the GAR if they can. Being an open all season highway, I’m not sure they Can legally charge without legislation or whatever? Interesting as to what transpires.

I think Hotham& Thredders are the key this winter. :cool::thumbs:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
they want to charge us for ploughing the GAR if they can. Being an open all season highway, I’m not sure they Can legally charge without legislation or whatever? Interesting as to what transpires.

I think Hotham& Thredders are the key this winter. :cool::thumbs:

Regarding Mt. Stirling we will have to wait and see if they open that XC ski resort at all in 2020.

With the declared snow season all traffic that parks on the GAR within the Hot Ham resort boundary must pay for parking like it or not. Now that includes BC XC skiers taking on the Twins Road challenge or the Dargo High Plains road mission.
People like me have an annual pass for the KNP . Therefore snow camping at Island Bend and making the trip up to Perisher Nordic ski centre can work out quite well for those who are well prepared and equipped and can tolerate the bleeding long drive from Melbourne.
Of course parking at JB plain is free and works out well Mid week when invariably a parking spot can be found for chook footers and snow campers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
looks better then is actually is. It was warm and windy for the last few days, what
was left was heavy, wet. A little today, looks like about 6 cm here at Buller, with
a big does of moisture added after the snow fell. Good break leg stuff.

Find a good book, watch a video, learn something new. Plenty in Australia to do,
just might be not what you are used to.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
looks better then is actually is. It was warm and windy for the last few days, what
was left was heavy, wet. A little today, looks like about 6 cm here at Buller, with
a big does of moisture added after the snow fell. Good break leg stuff.

Find a good book, watch a video, learn something new. Plenty in Australia to do,
just might be not what you are used to.
50cm base is quite a bit off. Certainly didn’t look like it.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
+6cm today, the base varies a lot depending on the location.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
https://www.mtstirling.com.au/covid-19-updates/
I get a bit snow mad when I see the Autumn snow arrive. Yes, I know you need about 30-40 cms all over the hill at Mt. Stirling to be safe ,esp. if you fall over . It can become very icy without a fresh top up too.
:-0
Surfing is back on as a day trip here in VIC. so I am frothing about that for now.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Howdy T/all,

looks like the time to ski Stirling and indeed most hills was just after the first dump while it was still cold (previous Monday, 4th?) when CM was up top of Buller.

It’s a tough trail around from Skating Rink to Howqua Gap. I have only done the full return Village To MT.S summit once when much younger and fitter. It’s quite a adventure and for the fit, well prepared types in good snow I’d encourage them to do it at least once in their life.

This is where I note I’ve only skied via the quarry - which (as most here know) follows the summer 4wd access road. This road is pretty lumpy and rough in sections, while other bits a Subaru can do OK.

I found the snow lumped up to follow the surface contours and boulders. Fun! It was also ungroomed (as it was back in late 80s) but I understand it’s still not groomed very often these days? (Maybe fortnightly?)
So the ‘adventure’ remains.

I would like to try the north & west facing, higher level track (not the narrower Corn Hill Summit trk) one day when the snow is good and cover deep. It would cut about 40% of the distance to HG and provide different vistas - including more of Stirling & Buller - being on the ridge.

Now doubt modern wide touring skis, plastic boots; and skins (or good scales) would handle both trails better than our leathers, Morotto Tele steps and 3 pins.

mmm maybe I’ve set myself a challenge? But I want to spent a fine day with good snow getting to/from Stirling when I could be enjoying 3-4 hrs at the summit playing in the bowls, photographing the high country, yarda...and enjoying a 15 min plunge to TBJ on waxed skis!

Oh hurry up and snow properly! Hughey!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Absolutely fine now, I rode it a couple of times this Autumn. 2WD would be fine in the dry.

Wow cheers - that’s quite an improvement- they were going to upgrade to a winter one way system at one stage?

I think DELWP etc sent is packing.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The access road to TBJ at Mt. Stirling is open now for day trip visitors according to the present rules for the plague and getting some exercise outside of the big smoke.
Yes most of us missed the Autumn ski bus on May 2 and 3. We all watched the snow cameras esp. for Dinner plain and wept .
We now wait until Friday week when the next big system is coming with snow.
Mt. Stirling is dodgy and unsafe to ski unless you have 30 cms all over the trails .
I did a number of day visits to ski at Mt. Stirling from Melb. last season so if snow camping does not happen until further relaxation of restrictions occur , then day visits it will be.
Skinning up the River spur could be a good work out as long as there is enough cover along the Circuit road.The same could be said for the Howqua Gap track .
The trouble is that 4 WD users will churn up whatever snow cover we get along the roads until the 4 x4 gates are closed in early June.
The same can be said for any BC trips to Mt. No. 3 refuge Hut via Carter's road .

I am waiting to see if Baw Baw and Lake Mtn. resorts will allow out of season or even in season Nordic skiing.

Mt. St. G. is in the national park (all of which are reopening) so it is a day trip option but it needs 30 cms ( minimum) all over the pole line from MSG car park to Baw Baw to be seriously skiable.

Reactions: Gregah and CarveMan

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Wow cheers - that’s quite an improvement- they were going to upgrade to a winter one way system at one stage?
I think DELWP etc sent is packing.

The loop road to Howqua gap was going to be a new road, around the North side of corn hill.
For now, that project is dead, shutdown as part of the negotiations to get approval for the new
dam. Buller stills needs a second road in case of a issue, landslide, serious accident etc blocking
the current road, which will happen one day.

The current road, via the old quarry had money spent on it a few years back, and is in very
good shape, any car/bike could drive/ride it in the green (without snow) season.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The loop road to Howqua gap was going to be a new road, around the North side of corn hill.
For now, that project is dead, shutdown as part of the negotiations to get approval for the new
dam. Buller stills needs a second road in case of a issue, landslide, serious accident etc blocking
the current road, which will happen one day.

The current road, via the old quarry had money spent on it a few years back, and is in very
good shape, any car/bike could drive/ride it in the green (without snow) season.

cheers for info Djam. These negotiations/ sound complex?

I agree with the road issue - I was a newish skier when the mtn collapsed. I recall a few skiers received an extended ski break.

Perhaps the logical ‘road’ to use is the Quarry Rd since its upgraded already and at a gradient suitable for 2wd traffic. It would keep the ‘ridge route’ for XC skiing. Unless a full loop two way is added

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Complex yes, I guess, and very slow, it took more then 10 years to get it signed off.

I don't know for sure, but have always thought in would be a lot easier to maintain
the road on the north side, then the south, as in clear snow off it. Less ice issues and
so on. Areas long the current alignment hold snow well past most the mountain, as
they get no sun.

There are still parts of the Buller road falling away, the section just beyond the
plough shed chain bay area, is very dodgy, the railing, along the downhill side,
has many of the support posts floating in the air. I've sent photos to RRV a couple
of years back, as well as other issues. Not much has been done.

Even the newish orange posts, are out too far off the road to be useful, good luck
if you think the road extends out that far.

I hear they are better at looking after the roads they care for in winter, like Falls
and Hotham.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
North & west would clear ice better.

As an Xc the ridge is probably the better route - yes the Quarry side would definitely hold cover longer despite being lower in altitude generally.

As for ongoing issues, it’s amazing how long Govts & agencies can ignore glaring issues.

I don’t think this will improve after CV19 when funds will be tight everywhere. Bit of a worry really.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I hear they are better at looking after the roads they care for in winter, like Falls
and Hotham.
The Hot Ham road is a public all year carriageway which connects Bright with Bairnsdale. In green season I have seen quite a bit of work being done on it / to it what with resurfacing it , adding new lines on the road and so forth .So in that regard road access to Hot Ham and Dinner Plain and XC ski access to JB hut via The GT. Alpine Road remains good.
In Green season the Falls Creek Rd. also provides access to Omeo from Mt. Beauty via the BHP road. The surface on that road once you go Past Falls Creek is not so good. It needs to be redone properly .

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The Hot Ham road is a public all year carriageway which connects Bright with Bairnsdale. In green season I have seen quite a bit of work being done on it / to it what with resurfacing it , adding new lines on the road and so forth .So in that regard road access to Hot Ham and Dinner Plain and XC ski access to JB hut via The GT. Alpine Road remains good.
In Green season the Falls Creek Rd. also provides access to Omeo from Mt. Beauty via the BHP road. The surface on that road once you go Past Falls Creek is not so good. It needs to be redone properly .

I dare say Hotham has a much bigger bucket than the other hills. It’s managed by VicRoads not local councils, so that would help tap into State Govt coffers.

I think the Victorian Resort model is a bit quirky compared to ‘true ski towns’ around the world. AFAIK, Ski towns in Nth Am are part of a county and have the county’s resources to tap into.

Captain obvious here: Now if resorts could raise revenue from modest entry fees through the green months plus tap into the share councils receive, then maybe the roads would get more love?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It’s an absolute absurdity. Vic resorts generate $1.3bn and employ 10k people and get absolutely bugger all back.

It’s shear laziness on behalf of Fed & state Govts (mor so).

It’s such common sense that areas generating employment and revenue for Govts should receive a fair % back. It’s this inverted snobbery / tall poppy / ‘helping the Rich’ label that holds back resort facilities & infrastructure. Imagine if this test was applied to AFL / Cricket / Ruby / A league / where would they be?

Reactions: CarveMan

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

It’s such common sense that areas generating employment and revenue for Govts should receive a fair % back. It’s this inverted snobbery / tall poppy / ‘helping the Rich’ label that holds back resort facilities & infrastructure. Imagine if this test was applied to AFL / Cricket / Ruby / A league / where would they be?

There is a feverish clamour get the ball chasing and ball kicking sports back up and functioning ASAP. The great unwashed need their fix of the opiates for the masses to keep them subdued and malleable . The amount of money that comes from gambling , TV rights and advertising etc. and is tied into these things is extraordinary .
Meanwhile The Arts and snow sports are very low on the list of priorities during this time of lockdowns, retrenchments and plague related anxiety.
Perhaps in future both sectors( ski and arts) could liaise and promote each other if there could be some reciprocal kind of quid pro quo .Then the hills would be alive with the sound of music :) .

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Couldn’t agree more.

Do me a favour and when you see a tall poppy comment about snowsports on social media, remind the people that it’s a conduit for rich people to spend money and keep small business owners and low income earners employed.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I was born in BC Canada raised in Oz.

To the best of my knowledge, skiing (winter sports) doesn’t have such as exclusive, sport for wealthy mantra as it does here. Gee (ice) Hockey is the national game!

I think this albatross hurts snow sports here. And I’m not sure our governments work hard to shed this label.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Couldn’t agree more.

Do me a favour and when you see a tall poppy comment about snow sports on social media, remind the people that it’s a conduit for rich people to spend money and keep small business owners and low income earners employed.

I agree. Denizens of towns such as : Mt. Beauty ; Marysville ;Bright ; Mansfield ; Omeo ; Jindabyne etc. are given useful employment opportunities by the very influx of cash these so called 'rich aloof fat cats in BMW 4WD cars' spend on skiing.
Of course being a snow camper and non ski lift ticket buying XC skier I am lower down on this cash injection into regional economic activity continuum.
However I do spend some money somewhere on admission to places such as Mt. Stirling and Falls Creek, petrol, food from the Myrtleford supermarket etc.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
6 days above 7 deg and 29mm of rain might put a holt to that...

http://www.janebunn.net/mt-stirling
Leave Harold Holt out of this. He was not a skier and not much of a swimmer either. Only a large amount of clear torrential un skiable precipitation will halt my pre season frothing now !!
Time will tell my friend. If there is snow at TBJ on the snow camera vista on Sat. May 23rd or May 24th then that is a good sign. I shall change the batteries on my crystal ball and see if it works a bit better on May 25th ;-P. I am very good at predicting the past .

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Jul 19, 2017
http://www.janebunn.net/mt-stirling
Leave Harold Holt out of this. He was not a skier and not much of a swimmer either. Only a large amount of clear torrential un skiable precipitation will halt my pre season frothing now !!
Time will tell my friend. If there is snow at TBJ on the snow camera vista on Sat. May 23rd or May 24th then that is a good sign. I shall change the batteries on my crystal ball and see if it works a bit better on May 25th ;-P. I am very good at predicting the past .
Well I hope you get rewarded :thumbs: be sure to post some pics! One of Stanley bowl would be appreciated :D

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Not sure about those automated forecasts T? The BOM still say snow but after quite a bit of rain on Wednesday 20th:

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/mountbuller.shtml

I think you’d be pretty brave to assume you’ll ski Stirling next weekend? 23/24th?

The Snowies and higher bits of the BHP/Hotham are a different matter - a better snow:rain ratio. ;):thumbs::snowboarder:
I am merely pre season frothing. I will see what happens closer to the date. These automated forecasts from Ms. Bunn's computer often leap about but my enthusiasm is there. Meanwhile I am now allowed to go surfing! :) . We shall wait and see when we are allowed to go away for overnight BC XC trips in the VIC. ALPS.
http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/mountbuller.shtml
BOM are usually cautious in their forecasts . It is interesting that they are forecasting some snow on May 23rd and 24 th.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Earlier, Victoria said it would relax travel curbs to boost tourism in its bushfire-struck towns, a key contributor to the southern state's coffers.

Tourists will be able to stay overnight from June 1 in regional areas in the state, Premier Daniel Andrews said.

Victoria will open up ski fields from June 22, with strict rules around hygiene and without shared facilities after a testing blitz showed low levels of community transmission.

GAME ON!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Green light for 2020 season
By katmilner | 25/05/2020

UPDATED 2 JUNE 2020

Mt Stirling welcomes the Victorian government announcement giving a green light for alpine resorts to be able to open for skiing and boarding from the 22 June, 2020 in Victoria.

“… And for those eager to hit the slopes, the ski season will open slightly later this year on 22 June. At the same time, we’re urging Victorians: In all your activities, be considered. Be cautious. Use your common sense.” Click here for the Premier's full statement

The Victorian Alpine Resorts, including the team here at Mt Stirling, continue to work on COVID SAFE operating plans, including capacity management, traceability, cleaning and hygiene, food and beverage and transportation.

There is much to be done before we can provide usual services including hospitality and snowsports however our resort community is looking forward to welcoming visitors from 22 June 2020, or when conditions allow.

In the meantime, access is open to Mt Stirling in accordance with Victorian State Government directives.

QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY LONG WEEKEND

Anyone visiting Mt Stirling for the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend must pre-purchase a resort entry pass online and carry wheel chains. Pre-purchased ticketed entry enables the resort to effectively manage capacity in accordance with the Victorian Governments’ public health measures. It also sustains essential including snow clearing, parking and public facilities.

NOTE there is NO tobogganing or facilites open at Mt Stirling for the weekend and there will be strict limits on capacity for this 'soft' opening.

Book ahead to secure a resort entry pass and follow all directions from the gate staff who will be managing the capacity and physical distancing guidelines strictly.

GOOD NEWS! As of 1 June visitors will be able to camp overnight on Mt Stirling. Pitch your tent and don’t forget to pack all the essentials including cooking equipment and a fuel stove. Remember to practice good hygiene and maintain physical distancing. Campfires are only permitted in designated fire pits that you will find at Razorback, King Saddle and Howqua Gap. Leave only footprints and thank you for taking all rubbish when you leave.

Please note the trails at Mt Stirling are not yet maintained or patrolled until the intended season commencement on 22 June.

ROAD NEWS: Circuit Road Access
Circuit Road from Telephone Box Junction (north to King Saddle and south to Howqua Gap) will be closed from Queen's Birthday Weekend 5 June 2020 until 30 October 2020.
Corn Hill Road (from Mt Buller to Howqua Gap) will also be closed for the same period.
Other 4WD access routes to Mansfield State Forest and Alpine National Park remain open until the 11th June 2020.
Other seasonal road closures can be viewed on the DELWP public access map, found by clicking here and selecting 'Forest'.

The Resort Management can be reached on 03 5777 6077 during office hours for enquiries regarding Mt Stirling access and operations.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
https://www.mtstirling.com.au/snow-report/

Update - 21 June 2020

From 11:59pm on 31 May, overnight stays and camping are again permitted. Check the details of the new guidelines here.

• The resort is open
  • The Stirling Cafe plans to open from Thursday 25 June - Sunday 28 June and operations will be reviewed pending snow conditions and visitation demands.
    • Take away options will be available and limited seating inside
  • If you are hiking/camping and generally exploring please ensure you make a trip plan and someone knows where and when you are going and when you expect to return.
  • Please follow the directions of all posted signs and closures.
  • Seasonal road closures- are in place. No vehicle access beyond Telephone Box Junction. More info>
  • Resort entry fees- anyone visiting Mt Buller and Mt Stirling from the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend MUST pre-purchase a resort entry pass online and carry wheel chains.
  • Pre-purchased ticketed entry enables the resort to effectively manage capacity in accordance with the Victorian Governments’ public health measures. It also sustains essential including snow clearing, parking and public facilities.
  • There is NO tobogganing in resort, this will be reviewed after 13 July.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass